Donate for VBulletin!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Donate for VBulletin!

Well with Google ads gone, the plan of advertisements to fund the upgrade is over for now.

As you may be aware, this website is run on MyBB using a Vbulletin skin. Now this has been done to keep a recognizable and easy to use layout for all users, the familiarity factor in short. However, it's been really difficult to keep it how it is, with me spending many hours trying to edit and fix things to make look as much like a "stock" version of a VB board. Pretty much all of the problems this website has ever experienced have been due to me modding the My[/php]BB setup to look and act how it is.

Why upgrade though when the place looks pretty attractive and doesn't seem to be having any major problems going on?

Mainly because I want this place to continue to prosper and develop into the largest model specific automotive forum in the South. And to do so we need the best, and can't afford for the slip ups that naturally come hand in hand with open source scripting.

Security is another issue. Open source programming is notorious for security flaws, that's just part of the package. And I could not live with myself if something were to happen to this place and all the work and effort were to disappear.

We would also be able to add a host of plugins and make this place even more feature rich. All of which are simple and work well, compared to the minimally-supported selection I get from MyBB users. The place will be faster and all of the annoying little bugs you see around the place will finally be gone.

MyBB has done us well. It was the right choice at the time, especially considering this is a completely out-of-pocket operation for me. But I think it's time we move on from a modified DIY forum to an actual professional standard board. It's like going from a Geo Metro dressed up as a Miata to an actual Miata.

So with that I ask you to help me out and donate whatever you can so we can purchase a permanent Vbulletin license and really crack on with this place. As you can see for yourself it costs $180 for the permanent license:

https://www.vbulletin.com/order/

I'm gonna cough up some cash for it, but for anyone who wants to donate they can send me whatever they feel to my paypal account. This can either be done directly to

jackdmaddox at comcast.net

or via the paypal donations link, although I would like for someone to send a test donation ($1 or something) to make sure it comes through properly before it gets the full go ahead.

Thanks for your time, thanks your participation, and thanks for the community.

Jack Maddox
    -mx5atl owner/admin

RE: Donate for VBulletin!

Jack, I sent you an email. Email back or give me a call...we'll get this thing taken care of. :)
    - Lee -
    '13 Liquid Silver Metallic Club PRHT | SOLD!
    '06 Sunlight Silver Touring | Mazdaspeed springs & sways | SOLD!

Comment

Ok the donation button worked! Even if paypal had a 33cent fee for a $1 transaction!

Comment

Replying to your email as I type.

Comment

I just sent my donation.

Originally posted by miata5620
          Eric's Garage ... You buy all the parts I tell you to and you will have a killer car... If you want other parts used your car will suck and it will cost you more...

Comment

Originally posted by MX5ATLanta.com
            Ok the donation button worked! Even if paypal had a 33cent fee for a $1 transaction!
            Yeah, I used a credit card. They charged 2.9% plus a .30 fee. That's 33 cents. But on larger donations, it won't really hurt.
            - Lee -

Comment

Just sent my donation as well! banana
              2012 Acura TSX Sportwagon
              2001 NB track car that never gets driven

Comment

:jawdrop: wow thanks alot guys, we're gonna be there pretty soon! As soon as we get enough and it clears I'll get straight to work on VB and make this a reality!

Comment

I love this community.

Comment

Donation made. I bet we're probably at the goal. ;)
                    - Lee -

Comment

donated
                      ~Andrew
                      Atlanta Region SCCA
                      D Prepared Miata

Comment

Wow... what can I say. I am genuinely moved by the community's out reach and quick response. Not only have we met the $180 goal we've actually surpassed it. The excess is gonna go in the T-shirt/server fee funds. Thank you so much, big thanks go out to

Caveracing
                        Rotornut
                        Sawyer
                        Amaff

You all rule. As soon as this stuff clears I'll get on this like white on rice tomorrow.

Comment

Well, if you had waited just a little longer, the whole license would have been bought tomorrow anyway, but hey, this works too. ;)

Originally posted by miata5620
                          Eric's Garage ... You buy all the parts I tell you to and you will have a killer car... If you want other parts used your car will suck and it will cost you more...

Comment

Originally posted by RotorNutFD3S
                            Well, if you had waited just a little longer, the whole license would have been bought tomorrow anyway, but hey, this works too. ;)
                            I think you and I were on the same page on this one. Jack puts a lot of time and effort into the site for us. I thought it only proper to get the VBullletin upgrade as soon as possible without him having to put anything from his own pocket.

I'm glad he received enough donations to surpass the goal. I'm looking forward to the new site!

Thanks!!
                            - Lee -

Comment

Working...
                            X