Paypal Donations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paypal Donations

I've added to this to the place. I'm still trying to figure out what sort of donation system to work out. Whether it's just a donate whenever you feel like it or actually go for a yearly membership thing where you can get some added bonuses. I could do with some suggestions on what you would like to see.

If I were to go with a yearly membership, how much do you think it should be? I could change it so non-premium members don't get big avatars and have smaller inboxes. Premium members will also have access to a private premium sub-forum where anything goes. What else could I include?

Also, which is the paypal money transfer method where they don't charge you? I got charged 59 cents on a $10 transaction earlier!

There's also another plugin available for the donations that might be more suitable, I think it automatically puts you in a different usergroup. I need to checkout the options so I wouldn't donate just quite yet today! But definitely in the future.

So yes... comments people!

RE: Paypal Donations

I never mind donating to a forum because I know what it takes to host and run one. I'll donate either in the form of cash if it's available or doing projects that involve web design or, as a perfect example, business cards.
    But I won't pay a membership fee to a forum, something seems wrong with that. Maybe that's just me.

Originally posted by miata5620
    Eric's Garage ... You buy all the parts I tell you to and you will have a killer car... If you want other parts used your car will suck and it will cost you more...

Comment

Good feedback. I know what you mean, it doesn't seem right paying for forums but I don't mean it like the Peachtree miata yahoo group. I mean it more of a sense of rewards for donating. If you get what I'm saying?

Comment

what do you think of adding google ads to the bottom of the pages to help offset costs? i've seen that in a lot of forums lately - they're plain text and fairly inconspicuous, so not nearly as annoying as banner ads.
        '99 Miata w/ AVO Turbo, '99 BMW M3

Comment

Look down. :cool:
          1995 Miata 2860 turbo, ground controls, etc. - 2013 MX5 Club Sport PHRT (wife thinks its hers) - 2007 Saleen S281

Comment

Yeah, funny thing is, WebSense here at work blocks those ads, so I never have to see them unless I'm on my personal computer. lol

Mitch, I do get the idea of the benefits of paying, but there has to be something very rewarding on a forum to make it worth it, which is very hard to do. I'm not trying to come across as an *** or anything, but I'm not much swayed by a special forum section, avatars, or inbox space.

Originally posted by miata5620
            Eric's Garage ... You buy all the parts I tell you to and you will have a killer car... If you want other parts used your car will suck and it will cost you more...

Comment

Originally posted by nderwater
              what do you think of adding google ads to the bottom of the pages to help offset costs? i've seen that in a lot of forums lately - they're plain text and fairly inconspicuous, so not nearly as annoying as banner ads.
              There are google ads at the top and the bottom of the page. It may be that you have an ad blocker enabled and can't see them, or you need to clear your cache because I forgot to immediately add them after the update. Every click helps go towards the site. If it were up to me I would have announcements all over the place asking people to click them but google doesn't like that.

I may add a subtle line of text somewhere close by though.

So far, I might just leave it as the paypal donation box so you can donate whenever you feel like it and just send me a message doing so and I can change your user title or do something for you :lol:

Comment

I see nothing wrong with a donation 'box'.
                IMHO making a forum a pay site is usually the kiss of death. Thats just the way it is.
                Call me any name you wish, :lol: but I have never joined a pay site...and likely never will.
                I think the overwhelming majority of internet users pretty much agree. Thats my .02
                sigpic

Comment

That's good to hear as I was about to pay to subscribe to the website in order to buy that more advanced plugin. The donation box will stay then. I just need to test it with a payment to myself to see if it works.

Comment

:wtf: doh - the ads are blocked here at work for me as well.
                    '99 Miata w/ AVO Turbo, '99 BMW M3

Comment

We have to pay on S2KAtlanta to get full access of the site. It's $35/annually.

Is it worth it? If your a big participant of the board then yes. The money collected is used towards club events, t-shirts, etc.

Would I pay a membership for here? Sure, why not? I've paid on other boards so I don't see why I can't contribute on here as well.

Comment

i agree i would pay to keep the place up. just need to figure out how much $35 doesnt sound bad to me.
                        1999 10th AE # 5620, Mods: It's Stock..ish.
                        sigpic

Comment

$35 seems like a fair price to me. That's ~$2.92/month which shouldn't (or so I hope) break anyone's bank.

What will you get with your membership? Those details will still need to be worked out with Jack but I have a couple ideas....
                          • Special rates at participating vendors/shops; ie: America's Best Automotive, R-Speed, etc
                          • T-Shirts/stickers
                          • Access to certain sections of the board that are not visible to non-paying members
                          • Discounts on track days and public meets; ie: discounted tickets to the safari if we were to have a gathering

Those were just a couple off the top of my head but you get the idea. It can be beneficial and if your an active member then you will def. receive your $35 back in just the savings through out the year.

Comment

i might be able to get members a discount at harbor frieght but it could only be the location i work at in lilburn. been talking to my boss about ways to drum up business since no one is buying much lately so he might go for it. just a thought.
                            1999 10th AE # 5620, Mods: It's Stock..ish.
                            sigpic

Comment

I need to start a poll on whether a donation box or a yearly premium membership is preferred.

I'm leaning towards the donation box at the moment. And once you donate you'll get a few plus's which I'm not fully decided on either yet.

Comment

Working...
                              X