• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ford "My Key" to Limit Speed of Teens

Ford feature will let parents set limits for teens
    3 hours ago
    Loading... Must Read?Thank YouYes 21

DETROIT — So you think junior is a little too lead-footed when he drives the family car? Starting next year, Ford Motor Co. will give you the power to do something about it.

The company will roll out a new feature on many 2010 models that can limit teen drivers to 80 mph, using a computer chip in the key.

Parents also have the option of programming the teen's key to limit the audio system's volume, and to sound continuous alerts if the driver doesn't wear a seat belt.

"Our message to parents is, hey, we are providing you some conditions to give your new drivers that may allow you to feel a little more comfortable in giving them the car more often," said Jim Buczkowski, Ford's director of electronic and electrical systems engineering.

The feature, called "MyKey," will be standard on an unspecified number of Ford models when the 2010 cars and trucks come out late next summer. The feature will spread to the entire Ford, Lincoln and Mercury lineup as models are updated, spokesman Wes Sherwood said.

Ford arrived at the 80 mph limit even though freeway speed limits are lower in most states because it wanted to leave a margin in case an unusual situation arises, Buczkowski said. In some states, freeway speed limits are above 70 mph, Sherwood said.

"Just lopping it off at exactly 70 mph was felt to be too limiting," Buczkowski said.

The company already uses computer chips in its keys to prevent thefts. The car won't start unless it recognizes the chip in the key.

"It's making use of existing technology, and through the magic of software, we're able to build features on top of the features we already have," Buczkowski said.

In addition to speed limits, MyKey also will limit the volume of the audio system, and it will sound a six-second chime every minute if seat belts are not fastened. The chime sounds for adult drivers, too, but ends after five minutes to avoid annoying adults who adamantly don't want to wear seat belts, Buczkowski said.

Parents also have the option of having the car sound a chime if the teen exceeds 45, 55 or 65 mph.

Ford said its market research shows 75 percent of parents like the speed and audio limits, but as you might expect, 67 percent of teens don't like them.

Danisha Williams, a 16-year-old senior at Southfield-Lathrup High School in suburban Detroit, said she's against the idea.

"I wouldn't want my parents to have that much control over how I'm driving," she said. "If your parents are holding your hand, you're never going to learn."

Brittany Hawthorne, 17, another Southfield-Lathrup senior, said there may be emergency situations where she'd have to drive more than 80, possibly to accelerate to avoid a crash.

Ford's research shows that parents would be more likely to let teens use their vehicles with the system, Sherwood said, and if it gets them the car more often, the number of teens objecting drops by nearly half.

A top official from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, a research group funded by the auto insurance industry that is pushing to raise the minimum driving age to 17 or 18, found the key intriguing. IIHS says car crashes are the leading cause of death among teenagers.

"Research we've done has shown that speeding is a major factor in teen crashes, especially novice teen drivers," said Anne McCartt, the institute's senior vice president for research. "So I think a system that tries to correct the speeding behavior has the potential to improve safety."

More than 5,000 U.S. teens die each year in car crashes. The rate of crashes, fatal and nonfatal, per mile driven for 16-year-old drivers is almost 10 times the rate for drivers ages 30 to 59, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
    Now, I don't necessarily think that's a bad idea because too many young kids drive too fast. BUT what it does is get people used to limiters outside of their powers and once parents are limiting their kids what's to say that our parent of a government won't start limiting us? Encroachment of freedoms always scare me.

Speed limiters in the name of more national security? :lol:

RE: Ford "My Key" to Limit Speed of Teens

i don't know about you guys, but my first car could only hit 80 mph on a long downhill and my second couldn't hit 90. i'm no fan of nanny systems, but don't see any harm in putting my kid in a 'momentum car' until they're experienced enough to drive responsibly.
    '99 Miata w/ AVO Turbo, '99 BMW M3

Comment

i dont see a reason for this. if i can afford a brand new car for myself, i can most likely afford a 2-3k dollar car for my son/daughter, and their first one might be a cool car but it most likely will not be fast. my first 3 cars couldnt break 100 and 2 of which couldnt even break 80, unless i was going downhill with a nice tailwind. i still managed to wreck those though... but never from going fast enough for a speed limiter to affect anything. its not that kids go too fast on the highway, its on the backroads and surface streets where they get into trouble. an 80 mph limiter wont affect much. it wouldnt affect me whatsoever, even though the car i have is very capable of 120+ mph.

note that i have ONE speeding ticket, 63 in a 45 on hamilton mill parkway in my p.o.s ford aspire. i think im a relatively responsible driver now that ive grown up a little bit.
      DIE WHITE GIRLS

Comment

Brittany Hawthorne, 17, another Southfield-Lathrup senior, said there may be emergency situations where she'd have to drive more than 80, possibly to accelerate to avoid a crash.
        That made me laugh. I cannot think of one situation where accelerating above 80mph would be useful to avoid an accident. I think they fail to realize is that it's not the interstate/highway where most of these accidents take place. It's on rural roads where the speed limit is 35-45 mph and they are doing 60+ mph and sling the car into a tree or another vehicle. It doesn't take 80mph to kill. My first car...err truck, was a 1990 Mazda B2200 that would barely hit 80 on a downhill... on the interstate. But i could have easily offed myself if i decided to try going 70mph on a curvy residential road, so what would be the point in limiting the car to 80mph? None. If you REALLY wanted to regulate your kids driving, you'd have to put some kind of transmitter/GPS device that knows the speed limits on ALL roads i nthe area and could adjust the speed governer accordingly. I wouldn't be surprised to see this in the near future. In fact, that would be very easy.

Comment

I'm all for just raising the legal driving age and requiring more driver education as well as more frequent aptitude tests for everyone.
          2005 Black Mica Mazdaspeed MX-5 - FM Intake - Enthuza Midpipe and Exhaust - FM DP - Hallman MBC - Upgraded Intercooler - Hard Dog Roll Bar - Volk TE37 - and then some...
          sigpic

Comment

I can see key hackers making a lot of money in high school. lol

I don't think this is a necessary feature. As some have already said, high speed has never really been a large killer of teens (except for street racing, etc.). It's been excessive speed in slow speed zones, DUI, etc.

Originally posted by miata5620
            Eric's Garage ... You buy all the parts I tell you to and you will have a killer car... If you want other parts used your car will suck and it will cost you more...

Comment

Originally posted by JennB
              I'm all for just raising the legal driving age and requiring more driver education as well as more frequent aptitude tests for everyone.
              I am 100% with you on this.

Comment

i agree about raising the age but there needs to be more driver training. then again i also believe if you have a cellphone in your hand when driving you should be pulled over. i have been almost hit many times by someone on the phone. who cant afford a $5 wired earpiece. also agree they should check everyones driving abilities every so often. some people shouldnt be behind the wheel when they are 16 or when they are 60. not saying everyone but some ppl shouldnt be allowed to drive doesnt matter the age.
                1999 10th AE # 5620, Mods: It's Stock..ish.
                sigpic

Comment

i agree about raising the age but there needs to be more driver training. then again i also believe if you have a cellphone in your hand when driving you should be pulled over. i have been almost hit many times by someone on the phone. who cant afford a $5 wired earpiece. also agree they should check everyones driving abilities every so often. some people shouldnt be behind the wheel when they are 16 or when they are 60. not saying everyone but some ppl shouldnt be allowed to drive doesnt matter the age.
                  Agreed.

Comment

Give a kid a Metro and he'll still figure out a way to wreck it, hurt others or himself, etc..

Comment

Originally posted by MeFryRice
                      Give a kid a Metro and he'll still figure out a way to wreck it, hurt others or himself, etc..
                      give anyone a key to a car and they can figure out how to wreck it. by now i am sure we have all seen pictures of the black GTR that got totalled on the highway. all it takes is for someone of any age to get careless or cocky and they will make a mistake.
                      1999 10th AE # 5620, Mods: It's Stock..ish.
                      sigpic

Comment

Or a negligent driver who only thinks of themselves and not about anyone else.

Eric's Garage ... You buy all the parts I tell you to and you will have a killer car... If you want other parts used your car will suck and it will cost you more...

Comment

Working...
                        X