PSA: welding helmets for eclipse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PSA: welding helmets for eclipse

I've read on a few forums that people are planning to use welding helmets to directly view the eclipse.

Please note that contemporary auto-darkening helmets won't sense the brightness at the spectrum of the corona plasma or what is making it around the moon and will not switch to dark mode. Old school static shade helmets NASA says need to be at a #14 shade or darker and most are not.

I personally am going to just take a selfie with my phone.

R
    92 Italia "Competizione Speciale". 91 BRG, '69 Corvette "Mojo". '14 F150 Coyote 5.0. Looking for something blue.

Imagine what the lens is going to do to the inside of your phone.

Comment

Originally posted by Georgia Cracker View Post
      Imagine what the lens is going to do to the inside of your phone.

Originally posted by miata5620
      Eric's Garage ... You buy all the parts I tell you to and you will have a killer car... If you want other parts used your car will suck and it will cost you more...

Comment

NASA: "There is quite a lot of discussion online about whether you can damage your smartphone camera by pointing it directly at the sun. The basic argument in favor of it being safe for the camera is that the lenses are generally very small (2 millimeters or so) and do not admit enough light. Also, cameras come equipped with UV filters that cut down on some of the visible light landing on the sensor chip. Finally, they automatically set their exposures for very short times."

"NASA suggests merely using your ISO-certified glasses overtop of your phone's lens to make things a bit easier to see as the eclipse happens"
        92 Italia "Competizione Speciale". 91 BRG, '69 Corvette "Mojo". '14 F150 Coyote 5.0. Looking for something blue.

Comment

Working...
        X