The Eclipse!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Eclipse!

Any one coming up this way for the eclipse? Should be a pretty cool.

I thought we had a shade 14 welding mask, but it's shade 13. Of course.

So now I'm scrambling to find some proper glasses. :run:
    Originally posted by Beastinthebushes
    Do lots and lots of reading and research. Lots of vendors sell suspension, not just FM.

I bought my glasses today. 12 pairs for $13.00. Maybee I can be a bastard and sell them for $5 each
    The only thing that oughta be hella flushed is a toilet.
    http://www.miataramblings.blogspot.com

Comment

In Gwinnett County you can get free glasses at the library. Sorry if I crapped on your sale...........

Comment

Lol no :) I was hardly serious.

Comment

Originally posted by sharkythesharkdogg View Post
          Any one coming up this way for the eclipse? Should be a pretty cool.

I thought we had a shade 14 welding mask, but it's shade 13. Of course.

So now I'm scrambling to find some proper glasses. :run:
          I was reading up on it today after getting glasses, one source said the visible sun through welding shade looks a real sickly green, that glasses give a better look/better color.

I found my ISO compliant shades at Kroger, $1.99 each. You can look at the sun and all you see is a very filtered orb that looks filtered by wildfire smoke. When I went to my hardware store (Ace) that I was sure had glasses, they said Kroger, Walmart, and Lowe's. Easily found at Kroger at service desk.

I'll be up in TN that day...unless the forecast is clearer up your way. 97-98% here north of Atlanta isn't good enough.
          06 True Red Touring - Eibach Springs & Sways - Koni Sports - Enthuzacar NC Cruiser Exhaust - Auto Exe wheel & shift knob - '13 Club Edition seats - Hella Supertones - a Protege5 used as the daily backpack.

Comment

Going to be in the mountains for it, Andrews, NC which is about in the direct path.

Comment

A lot of the places around here were sold out. Probably because we're in the perfect zone for viewing. Anyway, my glasses just showed up from UPS, so I'm good.
              Do lots and lots of reading and research. Lots of vendors sell suspension, not just FM.

Comment

Anyone finding them local still? Library is 86'ed.
                David Luney - Suwanee GA
                [email protected]
                04 RX-8, 10 Black MS3, 08 Red MS3, 06 550i, 05 325i 92 Spec Miata and a parts car or two.

Comment

My order got canceled apparently because they were fake, so I'm sol at the moment too.

Comment

I we ordered 10 sets just to have some spares for friends. Thought we'd have some left overs, but not at all. Still have people asking, but the extras are long gone.

Comment

Originally posted by kung fu jesus View Post
                      Going to be in the mountains for it, Andrews, NC which is about in the direct path.
                      dafuq.....that's around where i'm gonna be. Topton, NC to be exact, middle of nowhere, on lake nantahala !
                      1993 Crystal White: 1.8 swap, AE101 IRTB's, red LE interior swap, APR Carbon Fiber Mirrors, BC Coilovers, OBX 4-2-1, Megan Exhaust, MS2PNP, FM Sways, Work Equip 01, Autoconexion Version 2 trunk & more......

Comment

Im gonna be up in South Carolina on some lake with my buddy. His parents have a nice lake house up there and we plan on going on the boat to go check it out.
                        sigpic
                        No matter how many friends you think you have, the size of your funeral will depend on the weather.
                        Originally posted by sharkythesharkdogg
                        I don't want some dude's balls on my neck while I'm yelling at some Vietnamese guy.

Comment

We went up to Deals Gap on Saturday, stayed through Tuesday. We stayed in one of the cabins at the Philips. We intended to view it from Andrews but it was too crowded and hot, so we went back to the cabin and viewed it from there. It was terrific!

R'ville was not anywhere near as crowded as Andrews and traffic was pretty easy. In fact, I think it's worse during Miata weekend. We went driving during the backside of the eclipse and had a great drive. We stayed off the TotD, except a morning run. It made my wife sick ( :) ) and there were an increased number of noob drivers attempting to just get to their eclipse viewing spot, but nothing that was troublesome or resembling a parking lot on it. However there were a lot of people trying to snap pictures of themselves at the NC welcome sign near the top, just a little awkward, but nothing aggravating or dangerous.

We saw all most of the traffic trying to leave Monday evening, but again, it was all pretty manageable. I could tell a lot of the cars weren't ready for those roads, smelled a lot of cooked brake pads and came upon a number of slower cars. Most were very polite and moved over or were easy to pass when the opportunity allowed. I guess my 6/10ths driving pace was still terrifying for some, my wife said a lot of gawkers watched us pass them with incredulous looks on their faces. Lol!

There were a lot of people camping or picnicking on the turnouts, but most were mindful to stay off the tarmac. There were a lot of police patrolling, but I could tell they were just out making sure no one was blocking the roads. One NC Trooper would have had me dead to rights if he was trapping speeds, but he was just watching traffic. It was really an enjoyable trip, the eclipse added a sense of excitement the entire weekend. We met a lot of people there just for the eclipse, who were really enjoying the area, first-time visitors. When we paddled the Ocoee, we chatted with people from England, Alberta, even a family from the Turks and Caicos Islands.

We saw a few other Miatas there, a group from Texas was touring the area for the first time. My wife outran some guy in a turbo NB in my slow NA6 and he was dying to know how she did it. :)

The celestial event was definitely the highlight, had about 150 seconds of totality from the cabin and really enjoyed the show.

Comment

We had a pretty nice view from just west of Clayton. Last minute clouds (10-15 minutes until totality) cleared just in time. Taken with my obsolete point and shoot which has a good zoom. The experience was surreal.

DSCF0608.jpg
                            2001 BRG SE

Comment

Working...
                            X