Motorcycles..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motorcycles..

I used to ride 10-15 years ago but gave it up when I got married... I'm getting the itch again. Got a reluctant "ok" from my wife. Picked out a bike - CBR300, insurance lined up, etc... Then my wife flips over the safety aspect, and it really got me thinking if this is a good idea picking this back up again. How many of you guys ride up on the northside? How stupid am I for wanting to commute on two wheels? I'm thinking free hot lanes when they start coming right by my house, easy parking, and on this particular bike 70mpg... The other issue if I dump $5k on a machine and get board with it.

Current plan is to go take the safety course and go from there.
    The only thing that oughta be hella flushed is a toilet.
    http://www.miataramblings.blogspot.com

No doubt they are dangerous, but most of the people that get seriously hurt are either riding like idiots and/or wearing zero gear besides a helmet.

On the plus side, if you live north of Atlanta you are close to a lot of great roads.

You ever thought of riding off road?

Comment

Yeah, I love riding off road. I have lack of free time though.. I get on the dirt once a year if I'm lucky.

Comment

Since you asked, I'll give you my opinion. I rode for a couple of years, had a few different motorcycles, but never find my comfort zone. For me, top down in the Miata was more enjoyable, mainly because I always felt like I was watching for the other guy while on the bike. My mother wasn't thrilled about me riding and a couple of friends expressed their worries about it, as well. While I don't have a wife and kids at home, I do have a girlfriend of 8 years and a dog, both of which are my family and are just as important to me as the next guy's wife and child. Thinking about all of that, I decided to sell the last motorcycle and stick to cars.

Sure, I could get clobbered in the Miata, but I feel like the risk-reward just isn't there for me on a motorcycle.

If your consideration of this is to save money by way of MPGs, consider the fact that you'd be plopping down $5k for the motorcycle. Meh...I don't think the cost savings of a riding outweighs the risk, especially if you have a wife and kids.

Finally, if you think your wife will be worried every time you're out riding (it sounds like that may be the case), then that would be enough for me to scrap the idea.

That's my take.
        - Lee -
        '13 Liquid Silver Metallic Club PRHT | SOLD!
        '06 Sunlight Silver Touring | Mazdaspeed springs & sways | SOLD!

Comment

Originally posted by CaveRacing View Post
          Since you asked, I'll give you my opinion. I rode for a couple of years, had a few different motorcycles, but never find my comfort zone. For me, top down in the Miata was more enjoyable, mainly because I always felt like I was watching for the other guy while on the bike. My mother wasn't thrilled about me riding and a couple of friends expressed their worries about it, as well. While I don't have a wife and kids at home, I do have a girlfriend of 8 years and a dog, both of which are my family and are just as important to me as the next guy's wife and child. Thinking about all of that, I decided to sell the last motorcycle and stick to cars.

Sure, I could get clobbered in the Miata, but I feel like the risk-reward just isn't there for me on a motorcycle.

If your consideration of this is to save money by way of MPGs, consider the fact that you'd be plopping down $5k for the motorcycle. Meh...I don't think the cost savings of a riding outweighs the risk, especially if you have a wife and kids.

Finally, if you think your wife will be worried every time you're out riding (it sounds like that may be the case), then that would be enough for me to scrap the idea.

That's my take.
          I know I won't save money. Its just cheap to operate. It will however, knock my commute in half when my office moves.. same could be said for a electric commuter car though.

I appreciate the input as I'm truly on the fence..

Comment

You can be the most conscientious rider in the world, be wearing every protective piece of gear known to man...but when that soccer mom runs you over in her Escalade, because she's on her phone, or doing her make up, you'll still be dead. You wanna ride? Get an enduro, or dirt bike and go enjoy a few hours in the dirt where no distracted driver goes. Ripley's black car has been backed over three times in the past six years, but you're gonna trust that these idiots will see you on a bike?
            Red '91, MSM longblock/BEGI-FM hybrid turbo w/2871r/3"Enthuza/Hydra2.7/700cc/Ohlins/
            RacingBrake11"BBK/SS HDDD/Nakamae everything/KGWorks/Zoom/We're done!

Comment

I had a motorcycle when I got my first Miata. Loved the bike, loved the Miata. Eventually the Miata scratched the itch a lot more, honestly I am a much better (confident) driver than rider. Took the MSF course, passed with ease, but still never was able to be completely comfortable on the bike like I naturally have been in a car. Over time I rode less and less...until the bike sat for a few years and I finally sold it. Loved the bike and riding it, but I don't miss it, either. With all the safety gear required for every ride, I never used the bike as a commuter, just for adventure riding. The Miata is far more convenient for both, at least in my case.

If your mind is set on it and you enjoy it that much, go for it. But also consider this sobering thought for a moment, what if your crash in the Miata had happened while on a bike? You and Dash were uninjured...could the same be said if you were on a bike at the time?
              06 True Red Touring - Eibach Springs & Sways - Koni Sports - Enthuzacar NC Cruiser Exhaust - Auto Exe wheel & shift knob - '13 Club Edition seats - Hella Supertones - a Protege5 used as the daily backpack.

Comment

Guys I appreciate this.

We had a long talk about this last night. Discussed the fatality statistics, and laid down some ground rules I agreed to for safety's sake.. always wear bright colored gear, no riding and drinking on he same day, etc. we ended the talk with the next step being me signing up for the MSF course... 99% ready to pull the trigger on this thing. I respect her so much for not just saying "NO" or just using it to get something she wants.

.. then I got up this morning and told her I'm not going to do it. Safety's one issue, another is maintaining and insuring a fourth vehicle. I'd probably ride the **** out of it for six months or so, and when it starts needing maintenance I'd just ***** about having to work on it. For at least right now I'm going to hold off, and take more top down drives :)

Comment

Originally posted by zzmx-5 View Post
                  I had a motorcycle when I got my first Miata. Loved the bike, loved the Miata. Eventually the Miata scratched the itch a lot more, honestly I am a much better (confident) driver than rider. Took the MSF course, passed with ease, but still never was able to be completely comfortable on the bike like I naturally have been in a car. Over time I rode less and less...until the bike sat for a few years and I finally sold it. Loved the bike and riding it, but I don't miss it, either. With all the safety gear required for every ride, I never used the bike as a commuter, just for adventure riding. The Miata is far more convenient for both, at least in my case.

If your mind is set on it and you enjoy it that much, go for it. But also consider this sobering thought for a moment, what if your crash in the Miata had happened while on a bike? You and Dash were uninjured...could the same be said if you were on a bike at the time?
                  Hey Robert Didn't see this post.. I would not give him rides, but if I were on a bike I *think* I would have been able to stop in time, but if not - t-boning a car at 40? I'd likely be roadkill. Gonna hold off.

Comment

I bought a new bike (Suzuki GSXR-1100R) back in 1992 and still have it. I used to ride it a lot. Now it sits in the garage with a total of 8,000 miles on it. I just felt more & more unsafe riding it as more & more drivers of cars & trucks obtained cell phones.
                    1991 with Kenne Bell Supercharged 5.0 Ford conversion/ 382whp/376tq

Comment

My Morgan Three wheeler is a compromise between a car and a bike. Have to drive it as you would a bike though.
                      sigpicLance
                      2008 MX5 PRHT (sold)
                      2014 Corvette Stingray Z51 Coupe
                      1981 Morgan Plus 8, 2016 Morgan three wheeler

Comment

The Morgan is seriously cool.

I also like the Polaris slingshot, but really that's a roadster.

Comment

get your fix from a water motorcycle.

Put 3+ hours on the old girl this weekend. Gaped and filed plugs after having sat since October. Started tight up. Ran great all the way to 55!! 17 years old.

Blacksear070417.jpg
                          92 Italia "Competizione Speciale". 91 BRG, '69 Corvette "Mojo". '14 F150 Coyote 5.0. Looking for something blue.

Comment

Originally posted by lance View Post
                            My Morgan Three wheeler is a compromise between a car and a bike. Have to drive it as you would a bike though.
                            You weren't at Cars and Coffee Greenville last weekend were you? If so, I'm the guy who told you I used to have one (and really did) :D

You parked across from my Grabber Orange Shelby
                            Instead of being part of the problem, why not be a part of a successful solution

Comment

Originally posted by Stealth97 View Post
                              Guys I appreciate this.

We had a long talk about this last night. Discussed the fatality statistics, and laid down some ground rules I agreed to for safety's sake.. always wear bright colored gear, no riding and drinking on he same day, etc. we ended the talk with the next step being me signing up for the MSF course... 99% ready to pull the trigger on this thing. I respect her so much for not just saying "NO" or just using it to get something she wants.

.. then I got up this morning and told her I'm not going to do it. Safety's one issue, another is maintaining and insuring a fourth vehicle. I'd probably ride the **** out of it for six months or so, and when it starts needing maintenance I'd just ***** about having to work on it. For at least right now I'm going to hold off, and take more top down drives :)
                              Glad to hear you and your wife were able to talk this through, thus enabling you to make the right decision for you. And good on her for being respectful of your wishes.

Now go enjoy some top drown drives... as soon as it stops friggin raining. Jesus, this rain. Enough is enough.
                              - Lee -
                              '13 Liquid Silver Metallic Club PRHT | SOLD!
                              '06 Sunlight Silver Touring | Mazdaspeed springs & sways | SOLD!

Comment

Working...
                              X