ariel atom with a v8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ariel atom with a v8

i am sure some if not most of you have heard of the atom, a light weight tubular chasis car that is one of the best bang for the buck cars you can get. well they are making it better by making a 500hp v-8 version.

http://www.arielatom.com/specs/atom-500-v8

now if the superchargered honda 4 banger can take the car from 0-60mph in 3 seconds flat how fast could the car go with an extra 200hp? guess it depends on if they can get traction. just thought i would post the link up. who knows what it will cost but it could be the fastest car around since the T-1 never seemed to be able to not break and i still dont think it has made production yet.
    1999 10th AE # 5620, Mods: It's Stock..ish.
    sigpic

That's awesome. I'ld probably crap myself without realising in that thing.

Comment

I've seen this, but it's always entertaining wonder what it would be like to drive :D

Comment

1000 hp/ton -- twice the power-to-weight of a Bugatti Veyron -- in a car smaller than a Miata. Better make sure your insurance is paid up and your will has been notarized before you get behind the wheel!
        '99 Miata w/ AVO Turbo, '99 BMW M3

Comment

Originally posted by Jack-MX5ATLanta.com View Post
          That's awesome. I'ld probably crap myself without realising in that thing.
          one reason that you wouldn't know is cause your probably outrunning the smell.

Comment

I remember sitting in the Atom last year on trackday while the owner was warmed up but fresh. This was at talladega gran prix. I am very chill with fast cars and was completely calm when some evos I was riding along with spun out.

That car scared the junk out of me. I had to close my eyes and pray every time we apexed a certain corner. And it was only the 4 banger.

This car?! I cannot even imagine. I might even turn down a track run ridealong in it if offered.

I suppose this would put it up there with some of the super drag cars right? As long as it stuck.

Comment

doubt it would be as fast as a dedicated drag car since i doubt they would gear it for just a 1/4 mile plus it wouldn't have as much rubber to get traction. i think it would still be fast, my guess would be 10 seconds maybe sub 10s depending on gearing, tire, and driver of course.
              1999 10th AE # 5620, Mods: It's Stock..ish.
              sigpic

Comment

Keeping that much HP down to the road would be very difficult. I suspect you would spin the tires virtually anytime you went to full throttle.
                2020 Jet Black Mica GT RF

Comment

agreed with jester. think about something like a viper or z06 and how hard they are to launch even with 335s(viper) and 325(i think, z06) also they both have low end torque like mad unlike a 2.4 turbo v8 will.
                  '95 w/ now finished '99 swap, kyb agx's, flyin miata springs, sway bars, roll bar and more to come...sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jester911 View Post
                    Keeping that much HP down to the road would be very difficult. I suspect you would spin the tires virtually anytime you went to full throttle.

I know the feeling. lololololol
                    1991 with Kenne Bell Supercharged 5.0 Ford conversion/ 382whp/376tq

Comment

Actually, given the fact that the 2.6L V8 doesn't make that much TQ, and that the power is rather high up i nthe revs, it's probably not that bad to drive and gets good traction.

Comment

eh, the other problem can arrise from power comin on too quick and not being linear. Let's avoid what could be this long arguement. I just don't see something like that hooking up very well. At the same time i also think they will have a very advanced traction control system that will allow a certain amount of wheel slip, similar to competition mode on a z06. With enough r&d in it they could allow it to spin without cutting full power(like most systems do) but instead just cut enough so it doesnt spin wildly. I know like boost limiting but computer controlled that reacts faster and could potentially allow full boost under the right conditions. Of course this is all easy to say sitting behind a computer and not having to design the system. None the less it shall haul.
                        '95 w/ now finished '99 swap, kyb agx's, flyin miata springs, sway bars, roll bar and more to come...sigpic

Comment

im not sure how many of you know mr.woolery that lives in LA. But that thing is the fastest thing ive ever been on from start to stop. He has teh supercharged motor on it.
                          You feel one with the car is the only way i can describe it.

Comment

These things need way bigger tires. Like F1 big.
                            1991 UK-spec MX-5 - https://www.facebook.com/djinovaband <<< METAL!

Comment

Working...
                            X