Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I want to install a lock of some sort on my bedroom door...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want to install a lock of some sort on my bedroom door...

I live in an appartment complex in Athens and I'm not always around over the weekend but don't have the ability to transport all my valuables with me when I'm on the move. I would like to install a lock of some sort. I understand that they may not be too happy about me doing this but I've had enough **** from the complex as it is. I'll make them a copy if I end up getting a dead bolt etc.

But to avoid creating trouble where it's not needed, are there any locking alternatives that don't require a big chunk of the door removed?

I hide most of my important stuff but there's only so much I can do, and I don't trust some of the people that come by for parties when I'm not around.

All suggestions welcome!

Thanks!

Originally posted by MX5ATLanta.com View Post
    All suggestions welcome!
    Hang out with a better class of people...ones that wont molest or steal your ****! :lol:

j/k...
    sigpic

Comment

:lmao: but those people aren't as fun!

Comment

I'm thinking of this

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...0401001+502400

And keep a hold of the current handle and just replace when I leave. What you think?

Comment

Jack that lockset you showed isn't a true dead bolt and can be jimmied pretty easily.
          Take out the latchset that is in the door now and replace it with a regular deadbolt.
          It will fit in the same holes.
          Make sure it is the proper backset. Most residential doors have a 2 3/8" backset.
          You don't really need a handle.
          2020 Jet Black Mica GT RF

Comment

I'm not sure a dead bolt is worth it considering how easy these doors are to break in. It's not so much an end all security measure as a keep out drunk/high people during parties when I'm not around.

Comment

It also gives me the ability to replace it with the original setup when I leave here so they don't ask for a new door.

Comment

Too bad you can't set a NY lock from the outside :lol:

Get one of those things that plays a recording of a barking dog when someone messes with the door? Maybe leave a TV on turned up just enough to hear when standing outside the door?

Comment

It also gives me the ability to replace it with the original setup when I leave here so they don't ask for a new door.
                  I am saying you don't need to alter the door in any way. You put the deadbolt in the place of the present set. The one in the picture would work though if that is all you think you need.
                  2020 Jet Black Mica GT RF

Comment

Oh I see what you're saying, but yeah I don't think anybody would go to the extreme of jimmying the door open. The doors are almost cardboard like in thickness, a dead bolt would just keep one section of the door nicely shut :lol:

Comment

Considering a college budget you could do as I did, I found a cheap used solid door and replaced my bedroom door with it until I moved out. Swapped back to the apt. POS door and no one was the wiser. Some quick filler in the hole I made for the deadbolt, little dab of paint, and all was well.

Originally posted by miata5620
                      Eric's Garage ... You buy all the parts I tell you to and you will have a killer car... If you want other parts used your car will suck and it will cost you more...

Comment

If you're up to the idea of replacing the door, take it off and take it somewhere empty, put a few bullet holes in it and put it back up with a sign saying something about the last person who entered without permission :lol:

Comment

A couple of slight problems:

1. I have a miata, I can't transport doors :lol:

2. Bullet noises in apartment complexes in a college town tend to cause a stir :lol:

Comment

1. I have a miata, I can't transport doors :lol:

2. Bullet noises in apartment complexes in a college town tend to cause a stir :lol:
                            1. You have a windshield frame and a roll bar, you can see where I'm going with this... :)

2. Depends on what town you're talking about. I've heard plenty of regular gunshots in Athens. :lol:

Originally posted by miata5620
                            Eric's Garage ... You buy all the parts I tell you to and you will have a killer car... If you want other parts used your car will suck and it will cost you more...

Comment

I had a buddy who had a three bedroom apartment. They all replaced there door nobs with deadbolts. This why anyone could go in and out there apartment without any of the other roommate having to even worry about there personal effects.
                              1988 323 GTX--- The toy now :D
                              2008 Mazdaspeed 3::SOLD ----- 1991 BRG NA8 Swap, Turbo::SOLD

Comment

Working...
                              X