New guy with a '99

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New guy with a '99

To start, I'm not in Atlanta. Asheville actually, but Atlanta's tracks are about the closest to me (CMP is about the same) and I end up chasing parts into GA a lot it seems. I have a '99 touring package that I am working on adding proper cruise control and an LSD to. So far I have swapped to a NB2 center console, added a Hard Dog Hardcore roll bar and hitch, and got a killer deal on a hard top that need some attention. I also have a set of stock 15" wheels that I plan to put a set of good tires on but for now Im using the hideous wheels with brand new all season tires that came with the car. My plan is to do some HPDE days this year and potentially build the car to run in NASA TTE. For now its just autocross and the Blue Ridge Parkway when its nice out.
    Attached Files

Welcome! Do you know it doesn’t have LSD already? If you call a dealership parts dept with the VIN they can tell you.
    David Luney - Suwanee GA
    [email protected]
    04 RX-8, 10 Black MS3, 08 Red MS3, 06 550i, 05 325i 92 Spec Miata and a parts car or two.

Comment

Thank you!

Yeah, it came with the touring package (no cruise, non-power antenna) which was non-LSD in '99. It also doesn't get traction worth a damn when trying to accelerate hard in 1st out of a slow speed corner.

Comment

Welcome! Enjoy. These guys and gals will give you more support than you'll ever need. Absolutely generous. I'm too lazy to have taken full advantage, to be honest.
        If you don't enjoy driving your car, you're doing it wrong.

Comment

Welcome! NASA TT is a good goal to shoot for and can be a lot of fun. You may already be aware of this, but TTE won’t exist past 2018. Not quite sure what the direct replacement is, but most of the current PT/TTE contingent in the southeast and midwest are moving to ST/TT5, which is really something between the current C and D classes.

With that said, the TTE “formula” is still a really fun and quick car to drive! I’m still pursuing a version of that while I let the new class shake out.

There’s a lot of track Miatas around here and it’s always nice to have more! Do you have any HPDEs on your calendar yet?
          - Ryan
          1999 Miata (Red) - Stock non-VVT, Haltech, Ohlins, 949 6ULs and NT01s

Comment

Originally posted by Rzupancic View Post
            Welcome! NASA TT is a good goal to shoot for and can be a lot of fun. You may already be aware of this, but TTE won’t exist past 2018.
            I did not know that. It seems odd because TTE seems to be pretty popular. It will be a while until I'm competitive, so hopefully people will figure out the hard stuff for me before then. Haha.

And I am currently deciding between the March event at Road Atlanta or the May event at CMP to start. I'd like to have my LSD in and new tires before I go out and only working on weekends outside can slow me down a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Your_Drunkle View Post
              I did not know that. It seems odd because TTE seems to be pretty popular. It will be a while until I'm competitive, so hopefully people will figure out the hard stuff for me before then. Haha.

And I am currently deciding between the March event at Road Atlanta or the May event at CMP to start. I'd like to have my LSD in and new tires before I go out and only working on weekends outside can slow me down a lot.
              The existing "letter" classes sounded good in theory (only take points for what mods you have, so many points bumps you up a class) but it made it very difficult for balancing performance across a variety of cars, and could be intimidating for new people. The replacement "numbered" classes do away with points and provide a more open ruleset that's focused on power:weight ratio. It's a bit simpler to understand, should provide more balance among cars, and doesn't penalize people for switching one part or debating the points value of certain items. You're right, there will definitely be a year of a learning curve though while people figure out the best new formula.

I'll probably be at the NASA March RA event running TTE anyways, and there will probably be a pretty big miata crew there. Happy to help provide some advice!
              - Ryan
              1999 Miata (Red) - Stock non-VVT, Haltech, Ohlins, 949 6ULs and NT01s

Comment

Jzilla Track Days.

Forum sponsor, fellow Miata owner, all around good dude. A lot of members on here are instructors with him. Watch the schedule. :)

Regarding upgrades, I suggest doing them incrementally and getting familiar with them on the car before doing a lot before a track event. The changes can be more apparent at the track and surprise you, in a good and bad way, if you aren't ready.

Comment

Working...
                X