decent all season tire?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• decent all season tire?

So my federal 595's are getting low enough for me to start shopping around for a new set. Was wondering what the general consensuses was for a decent all season tire as winters getting close and I've heard horror stories of folks with summer tires in the winter even down here. I daily my car so drivability is my number one concern but may see an occasional track day
    1997 mx-5

Dz102, I drove on them for two years so far and they've been great.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 91LudeSiT; 09-08-2017, 10:56 AM.

Comment

A few years back I bought some Kumho ECSTA AST because they were inexpensive. About the worst tire I have ever driven on (and I have driven on Bias Ply Firestone Parnelli Jones tires before). I would not recommend them.

JonesTires.jpg
      Last edited by Dynra Rockets; 09-08-2017, 11:02 AM.
      92 Italia "Competizione Speciale". 91 BRG, '69 Corvette "Mojo". '14 F150 Coyote 5.0. Looking for something blue.

Comment

DZ102's. Drove on them for a year, sun, winter, rain, snow they held up fine and have OK grip for the category. Pretty cheap too.

If you want to hit the track then Star Specs, but those are a summer tire.
        '00 Black NB, Track/Street car.
        It seems like the most powerful weapon in the universe is speed. Move something fast enough and it will obliterate anything

Comment

I run Michelin Pilot Sport AS/3 on my Corvette. Great tires, a bit pricey at least in the Corvette sizes
          sigpicLance
          2008 MX5 PRHT (sold)
          2014 Corvette Stingray Z51 Coupe
          1981 Morgan Plus 8, 2016 Morgan three wheeler

Comment

LOVED the AS/3 on my e30, I also liked the BF Goodrich Sport Comp very much.

Comment

I also know more than a couple of Miata owners who love the Nitto Neogen for all-season driving. Nitto is a Toyo brand. Lower wear rating, which can be good for an A/S. One set of BFGs wore really well, but the rubber became hard after the third year.

Comment

Michelin Pilot Sport AS/3+ are amazeballs for driving on the street and mountains. I use them as daily tires on my NC.
                2007 True Red Miata

Comment

Dz102
                  Chris and Lola

Comment

Originally posted by Dynra Rockets View Post
                    A few years back I bought some Kumho ECSTA AST because they were inexpensive. About the worst tire I have ever driven on (and I have driven on Bias Ply Firestone Parnelli Jones tires before). I would not recommend them.

[ATTACH]24881[/ATTACH]
                    awesome thanks for the heads up! i saw those and the price is mighty attractive but i figured they were **** with alot of the reviews i was seeing
                    1997 mx-5

Comment

Originally posted by wingman703 View Post
                      DZ102's. Drove on them for a year, sun, winter, rain, snow they held up fine and have OK grip for the category. Pretty cheap too.

If you want to hit the track then Star Specs, but those are a summer tire.
                      dz102's are looking pretty tempting, will have to look into them a bit more and these are just going to be a compromise for now but im trying to go for the best compromise possible lol once spring roles around i'll most likely end up grabbing a second set of rims and throwing some real tires on them
                      1997 mx-5

Comment

The best compromise is to use a summer tire year round down here. Any all season is ****ty enough 3 seasons out of the year to hate it year round.

I've had an "oh ****" moment in my motorcycle when I didn't realize the tire was cold. After that, whenever it drops to freezing I take it easy for 15 minutes on the bike for the tires to warm up. That's really all you need to do when it gets cold-ish down here.

Comment

How much whp do you have.. if stock 90-120 then any good summer tire will be ok, driving easy when below 40*. If you have lets say 250whp, then they get a bit crazy on boost.

Comment

Originally posted by Locomonkeyboricua View Post
                            How much whp do you have.. if stock 90-120 then any good summer tire will be ok, driving easy when below 40*. If you have lets say 250whp, then they get a bit crazy on boost.
                            its on my msm with some light mods so probably ~185-200
                            1997 mx-5

Comment

Originally posted by iscariot View Post
                              The best compromise is to use a summer tire year round down here. Any all season is ****ty enough 3 seasons out of the year to hate it year round.

I've had an "oh ****" moment in my motorcycle when I didn't realize the tire was cold. After that, whenever it drops to freezing I take it easy for 15 minutes on the bike for the tires to warm up. That's really all you need to do when it gets cold-ish down here.
                              thats something else i've been trying to figure out if it was even worth it or not, we dont have that many really cold days so i'd prefer to just not worry about it if i can just have to let them warm up first.
                              1997 mx-5

Comment

Working...
                              X