New 01 NB owner!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New 01 NB owner!

Bought it a few days ago, I have yet to get insurance on it. I'm itching to drive it around. Regardless, it has 88k on the clock, 6 speed with the LSD in Emerald green. I got a few things to fix like the starter. It struggles to crank, but it idles and revs like miatas do. I'll changing all the fluids (engine, trans, diff) unless someone suggests otherwise. I feel better knowing what's in it. It's also around the belt matinence point, so that will have to get done in the near future. Other than that. First mod I'm looking at is a roll bar, as it's more of a safety thing. Anyway I hope to be on the road soon.

20170420_165359.jpg
    In the garage:
    2004 Silverado LS (daily) - 2001 NB MX-5

Welcome to the madness!!!

Originally posted by miata5620
    Eric's Garage ... You buy all the parts I tell you to and you will have a killer car... If you want other parts used your car will suck and it will cost you more...

Comment

Welcome! Looks like a nice ride.

A fluid change is always a good idea, especially if you don't know the age of what's in there now.

Regarding the slow crank issue, it may not be the starter. These cars tend to consume plug wires fairly regularly, so maybe starting with that and spark plugs could be a cheap and easy first step.
      sigpic

Comment

Welcome!

I think you should get your battery stress tested first, that's the most likely culprit.
        2001 BRG SE

Comment

Originally posted by Blaydus View Post
          Bought it a few days ago, I have yet to get insurance on it. I'm itching to drive it around. Regardless, it has 88k on the clock, 6 speed with the LSD in Emerald green. I got a few things to fix like the starter. It struggles to crank, but it idles and revs like miatas do. I'll changing all the fluids (engine, trans, diff) unless someone suggests otherwise. I feel better knowing what's in it. It's also around the belt matinence point, so that will have to get done in the near future. Other than that. First mod I'm looking at is a roll bar, as it's more of a safety thing. Anyway I hope to be on the road soon.

[ATTACH]24050[/ATTACH]
          Nice NB! Here's mine. I'm in Gwinnett County.

Comment

So am I, I'm in the Sugar Hill / Buford area. Ill keep an eye out for you! Shouldn't be too hard, the yellow really pops, I love it!
            In the garage:

Comment

I'll go to auto zone and see if they have a tester. thanks for the lead!
              In the garage:

Comment

I believe the oil was last changed at 86k, and its actually pushing 89k, so its time to change. Not sure if it's on traditional or synthetic. I will be changing it to synthetic anyway. Where would you recommend buying the plugs at? I see moss miata has them for about 40 bucks.
                In the garage:

Comment

Thank you! I'm ready to go mad with my miata!
                  In the garage:

Comment

Highly recommend NGK V-Power plugs in the stock heat range: BKR5E-11. But you usually have to ask for NGK 6953 at any of the local part stores. Don't pay $40 for stock replacement plugs!

Originally posted by miata5620
                    Eric's Garage ... You buy all the parts I tell you to and you will have a killer car... If you want other parts used your car will suck and it will cost you more...

Comment

Welcome neighbor(Suwanee)! Nice ride. I second the statement that starters rarely are the issue. Good luck.
                      David Luney - Suwanee GA
                      [email protected]
                      04 RX-8, 10 Black MS3, 08 Red MS3, 06 550i, 05 325i 92 Spec Miata and a parts car or two.

Comment

Yoooo good to see you finally created a profile! I would second on the battery/and plug wires!

Comment

"... Slow to crank..." They have small batteries so they don't spin the motor very quickly. Just in case that is what you are referring. When I purchased my nb1, I put in a new battery because it was slow to crank. No change.

Comment

Don't forget to check the boots and oil in the shifter turret. Welcome to the world of nbs!

Comment

If you need a new battery, I'd look into lithium ion. They can be had fairly cheap now. I think I spent about 100 on mine, it weighs 2 or 2.5 lbs, and cranks way faster than any agm I've used.
                              2018 Forester 2.5i 6MT
                              2017 NV3500

Comment

Working...
                              X