Possible Crack in Frame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible Crack in Frame

So I ended up buying the laguna blue from Matt. I'm doing an oil change and I see this. I understand that's a framerail. How serious of a problem is that?
    Attached Files

Its not a frame rail as a Miata does not have a frame. A miata is a unibody with two separate front and rear subframes. What that is , is a sheet metal stamped "frame" that helps keep the unibody stiff. what you are seeing is unfortunate but not fatal. Many have much worse than that.
    Last edited by Dynra Rockets; 11-28-2017, 05:49 PM.
    92 Italia "Competizione Speciale". 91 BRG, '69 Corvette "Mojo". '14 F150 Coyote 5.0. Looking for something blue.

Comment

Frame rails provide stiffness and keep the body from twisting. These look a bit worse than the usual beat to crap ones that we're used to seeing, but there's a good and pretty cheap solution. Flyin' Miata sells frame rail stiffeners that go over the entire rail, then bolt right through the floor. A set will run you around $200, and installation will take you a couple hours in the garage. If you were planning to use the car for a lot of track days, I'd consider getting that welded before putting the rail stiffeners on. It's pretty common to have to beat the rails with a bfh (big f:;(k hammer) to put the rails on. Boundary Engineering sells a set for about $150. The FM set can be upgraded down the road to take the "butterfly brace" they sell to box up the trans tunnel.
      Red '91, MSM longblock/BEGI-FM hybrid turbo w/2871r/3"Enthuza/Hydra2.7/700cc/Ohlins/
      RacingBrake11"BBK/SS HDDD/Nakamae everything/KGWorks/Zoom/We're done!

Comment

Any shops you recommend to weld the crack, I have the skills to install the fm rails but not welding.

Comment

What part of town are you in? Any good bodyshop or even most muffler shops can stitch it back up.

PS. I've got a used set of frame rails if you want a cheaper-than-new good used option.
          David Luney - Suwanee GA
          [email protected]
          04 RX-8, 10 Black MS3, 08 Red MS3, 06 550i, 05 325i 92 Spec Miata and a parts car or two.

Comment

I live in Tucker, what kind of frame rails and how much?

Comment

Originally posted by inferno_miata View Post
              I live in Tucker, what kind of frame rails and how much?
              They are Reverend G rails I believe. There is a small scrape on one end. $50 for the pair. The price is adjusted down as you will need 28 nut/bolt/washers as the hardware was lost or I can supply OEM mazda bolts.

For the welding, you may try Michael Cotrell at Sentry Paint and Body in Tucker. Very experience in Miata repair.
              Last edited by miatastuff; 11-29-2017, 06:50 AM.
              David Luney - Suwanee GA
              [email protected]
              04 RX-8, 10 Black MS3, 08 Red MS3, 06 550i, 05 325i 92 Spec Miata and a parts car or two.

Comment

Also recommend Mike at Sentry. He's good people.

Comment

I'll definitely give Mike a call then. Thanks for the offer David I'll keep the rails in mind right now I need new brakes and a few other higher priority things for me to get it back into good shape.

Comment

FYI, Reverend G made his rails by coming to my house and measuring my Boundary Engineering rails. They're carbon copies. $50 is a ridiculously cheap price.
                    Red '91, MSM longblock/BEGI-FM hybrid turbo w/2871r/3"Enthuza/Hydra2.7/700cc/Ohlins/
                    RacingBrake11"BBK/SS HDDD/Nakamae everything/KGWorks/Zoom/We're done!

Comment

I have a set of Rev G frame rails on the NA8 and the improvement can be felt, plus it makes jacking the car a little easier. Just my :twocents:
                      1996 White Used and abused

Comment

Working...
                      X