Struggling to pull the motor!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Struggling to pull the motor!

Pulling the motor on my 13 and what a chore! I have the driveshaft out, the exhaust, all 10 bolts (?) on the bellhousing and I’m stuck. The pass side engine mount was easy- the driver’s side, oh boy. Why won’t the trans pull loose from the engine? Any tips?
    Sean O
    2017 Ford Raptor, 1998 Wrangler, 2013 PRHT Club Edition 2.5/ Fab9/ Ohlins, KTM 1190 Adventure

Are you pulling it out the top? They drop out the bottom sooo much easier. Gearbox and all.
    David Luney - Suwanee GA
    [email protected]
    04 RX-8, 10 Black MS3, 08 Red MS3, 06 550i, 05 325i 92 Spec Miata and a parts car or two.

Comment

And PS. if I recall correctly there are a couple of the trans bolts that come from the engine side and thread into the trans.
      David Luney - Suwanee GA
      [email protected]
      04 RX-8, 10 Black MS3, 08 Red MS3, 06 550i, 05 325i 92 Spec Miata and a parts car or two.

Comment

Thanks- that might be the issue. Going at it with fresh eyes and a fresh outlook this am!

My list of stuff to ask you about it growing... still need the seat brackets, now some plastic front end bits too.
        Sean O
        2017 Ford Raptor, 1998 Wrangler, 2013 PRHT Club Edition 2.5/ Fab9/ Ohlins, KTM 1190 Adventure

Comment

Two rearward facing bolts. F me. Guess I’m my defense the lighting was a challenge.

The other her thing is that the brace that the shock tower braces attach to has to come off to make room if your pulling from the top. Of course I took the opportunity to really clean the engine(less) bay:

1004C14B-A5D8-4C47-8791-288A298EE45C.jpg
          Sean O

Comment

Originally posted by carnut169 View Post
            Two rearward facing bolts. F me. Guess I’m my defense the lighting was a challenge.

The other her thing is that the brace that the shock tower braces attach to has to come off to make room if your pulling from the top. Of course I took the opportunity to really clean the engine(less) bay:

[ATTACH]25144[/ATTACH]
            Poor lighting is a B****. I still need to save up and just flood my garage and workshop with some LED T8s. I feel like i am working in a cave all the time =/.

Glad to see progress.
            1988 323 GTX--- The toy now :D
            2008 Mazdaspeed 3::SOLD ----- 1991 BRG NA8 Swap, Turbo::SOLD

Comment

I have a lot of lights in the garage, but some of the tubes are shot and need to be replaced. Too busy buying Miata bits...
              Sean O

Comment

Originally posted by carnut169 View Post
                I have a lot of lights in the garage, but some of the tubes are shot and need to be replaced. Too busy buying Miata bits...
                Haven't had a chance to try these but they had good reviews on GJ.

https://www.lightup.com/t8-4ft-led-t...iABEgKT0fD_BwE

Comment

Replaced all of the 8 foot fluorescent tubes in my garage with 8 foot leds. Very bright, no annoying hum or flicker
                  sigpicLance
                  2008 MX5 PRHT (sold)
                  2014 Corvette Stingray Z51 Coupe
                  1981 Morgan Plus 8, 2016 Morgan three wheeler

Comment

Originally posted by lance View Post
                    Replaced all of the 8 foot fluorescent tubes in my garage with 8 foot leds. Very bright, no annoying hum or flicker
                    I have swapped out some of my kitchen T8 with the LEDs and holy s**T the light house put was amazing. I need to pick up two more for the last two.

My goal is to line my garage and workshop with them soon. I want to light up my neighborhood with my garage.. :D :D

Comment

https://www.amazon.com/Capri-Tools-4.../dp/B00AYNQQNS

out of stock, but caught this on "harbor freight tools that don't suck" thread. It's not from harbor freight, but I can confirm, it's a damn nice drop light. 5-7ish hours on a charge.

Comment

Cool, yeah I’ll give those a try
                        Sean O

Comment

I'm weird, but since the NCs are basically front mid-engine layout, I drop the trans separately, and then pull the engine out of the top.

Dropping it all out the bottom is an option, and I've heard of people feeding the engine and transmission through the top, but that's the way I prefer it.
                          Originally posted by Beastinthebushes
                          Do lots and lots of reading and research. Lots of vendors sell suspension, not just FM.

Comment

That’s how I did it sharky, but I’ve heard from the bottom is easier. One of these days I’ll buy a max Jax and it will be cake. Will likely attempt to put it back with the engine and trans attached...
                            Sean O

Comment

Working...
                            X