What are largest tires i can use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are largest tires i can use?

I have a 93 stock Miata but changed to 15 inch rims. I need new tires. I have 175/65/15's. Will 185/65/15 fit without scrubbing? What are largest tires anyone has on a stock frame Miata? Thanks
    Last edited by miatadad; 10-17-2017, 06:57 AM.

185/65/15 is nearly 2" taller than stock, your speedo is reading about 7% slow.

195/50/15, 205/50/15 are the correct sizing for 15" wheels.

Will 185/65/15 fit? No idea, but why would you? Cost?

Comment

Yes, cost and availability. It is a weekend toy, so whenever I have to spend money, I don't want to outspend the value of the car. LOL!

Comment

Go back to 14" wheels, the 185/60-14 sizing is still cheap and plenty are available.

Comment

For 15 inch wheels 195/50/15 or 195/45/15. Is the largest i would use on non turbo miata..

Comment

Originally posted by Locomonkeyboricua View Post
            For 15 inch wheels 195/50/15 or 195/45/15. Is the largest i would use on non turbo miata..
            ^^ This

But if you've got the power to actually use them - 225's work well on a NA, 245's if you don't mind a "significant" pull and roll on the fenders.

Comment

One factor nobody seems to have brought up is wheel offset. You can throw 225-45-15 tires on an NA without having to remove the inner fenders, but only if they're mounted on +36 offset wheels. You need to place the center of the tire in about the same spot in the wheel well as the stock setup. Unless you're harnessing 300 horsepower. You don't need that much section width, not to mention weight. The original wheel and tire combo weighed just a bit over 30 pounds. Pick the wrong wheel and you can get 15" wheels that weigh that much. As you increase in size, rotational mass goes up, and your beautifully handling car turns into a understeering monster.

If this is a weekend toy, that will be used the full calendar year, go with a performance all season tire like a Yokohama S-Drive in 205-50-15. If it's just a fair weather toy, you can go with a more extreme tire like the RS-3, or Nitto R888.
              Red '91, MSM longblock/BEGI-FM hybrid turbo w/2871r/3"Enthuza/Hydra2.7/700cc/Ohlins/
              RacingBrake11"BBK/SS HDDD/Nakamae everything/KGWorks/Zoom/We're done!

Comment

I sure am liking the looks of these 245s on my new ride :)

sigpic

Comment

^^ lol damn
                  16' VW Golf R | 97 Salvagewon Eliminator | 90 SC'd Track Project

Comment

15 x 10's Nick? No way those fenders didn't get rolled! What's the offset +48?
                    Red '91, MSM longblock/BEGI-FM hybrid turbo w/2871r/3"Enthuza/Hydra2.7/700cc/Ohlins/
                    RacingBrake11"BBK/SS HDDD/Nakamae everything/KGWorks/Zoom/We're done!

Comment

That right there is a good looking car!
                      2018 Forester 2.5i 6MT
                      2017 NV3500

Comment

Originally posted by oldgrayfrog View Post
                        15 x 10's Nick? No way those fenders didn't get rolled! What's the offset +48?
                        Actually they are +25. If you get them too far inboard they start to hit things on the inside. This required a roll flat and modest pull.

Originally posted by eyeballs View Post
                        That right there is a good looking car!
                        My compliments to the chef!
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X