Rare symptoms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rare symptoms

Here's what's going on, I pulled the motor out of my (running) 2001 LS to freshen the motor, put it all back together and then crank but no start symptoms started..... Here's what I know. The crank sensor, cam sensor, and coils are all good. I put them on another 2001 Miata and the car ran fine.... The crank gap is perfect, as well is the timing. The plugs reek of fuel meaning injectors are firing. The Tach does not even wiggle when the car cranks and the check engine light is on constantly on even though there are no codes (I've looked about 4 times). Every wire is connected and I've checked that was well by unplugging every single wire in the entire engine bay and reconnecting them double checking everything is in proper condition and plugged in. The fuses that have anything to do with the motor running have all been checked with a multi meter both inside and in the engine bay of the car. I am at a complete loss and am asking for any help, thanks guys.

I've seen this before when tye crank trigger wheel was put in back to front. Lines up fine but the timing is off.
    David Luney - Suwanee GA
    [email protected]
    04 RX-8, 10 Black MS3, 08 Red MS3, 06 550i, 05 325i 92 Spec Miata and a parts car or two.

Comment

Make sure the crank trigger plate did not go on backwards. It will never start with it on the wrong way.

Edit Dave beat me to it
      The only thing that oughta be hella flushed is a toilet.
      http://www.miataramblings.blogspot.com

Comment

I've tried the wheel both ways and still nothing... I've also pulled the trigger wheel off a running car to get the proper orientation with the "bulb" facing out. I just cant think of a way the tach wouldnt move unless the crank signal was bad or malfunctioning but it is a known good with the test on the running car.

Comment

I know this will sound insulting, but trust me it's not. With cylinder 1 at TDC, are the cam loves facing out? If not, you're 180 degrees out of time.

Comment

On these, the tach "bouncing" typically doesn't apply.
            David Luney - Suwanee GA
            [email protected]
            04 RX-8, 10 Black MS3, 08 Red MS3, 06 550i, 05 325i 92 Spec Miata and a parts car or two.

Comment

Yes they are in the correct orientation, i've done a timing belt job about 8 times, this is why I'm so confused.... Thank you all for the responses

Comment

Ground straps are connected? On the NA there's a eye terminal for the coil pack that goes to the back of the head. Since the plugs are wet it's reasonable to assume that the ECU is seeing rotation and firing injectors, so it's on the coil side..

Comment

So no spark at the plugs?
                  David Luney - Suwanee GA
                  [email protected]

Comment

I've got spark but it's intermittent. It will fart and sputter but not actually start. All signs point towards timing but after checking for the 9th time its still perfectly set up....

Comment

Take pictures of the timing, see if any of us catch something.

Comment

And how are you checking TDC? The mark on the timing belt pulley, or the mark on the harmonic balancer?

Comment

IMG_3722.jpg

Comment

Did you take off the VVT pulley doing your refresh? Wonder if the alignment dowel did the same thing.

https://www.miataturbo.net/megasquir...ck-swap-87395/

Comment

I did not remove the pulley just the cover that goes over it so I could turn the cam gear, but I will check to see if the VVT is aligned. Thank you so much for the help.

Comment

Working...
                              X