Help please. Won't start!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help please. Won't start!!!

My 91 started skipping, so I replaced plugs and wires. Started and ran like a champ. Drove 2-3 miles and stopped. When I tried to start it again; nothing! Checked to make sure the plug wires were seated. They were. Battery isn't dead. All lights & radio are working. Didn't try to jump start it because we had a gully washer (rain). Any suggestions about what My next step should be will be greatly appreciated.
    Frank
    BRG-SE
    Rockmart

You can pull a plug and see if it's sparking. Make sure you've got fuel and spark, then go from there.
    The only thing that oughta be hella flushed is a toilet.
    http://www.miataramblings.blogspot.com

Comment

Thanks! Can you give me step by step instructions to check for spark? I'm a mechanical dummy! What's the next step if sparks? And if it doesn't spark? I installed new & correct NGK plugs & wires
      Frank

Comment

Check the connections at the coil and into the CAS (round thing on the back of the cam cover.

To check for spark pull a plug wire off the plug, plug in one of your old ones and lay it on the valve cover. Hands off: Have someone try to start, if it has spark you'll see it.
        David Luney - Suwanee GA
        [email protected]
        04 RX-8, 10 Black MS3, 08 Red MS3, 06 550i, 05 325i 92 Spec Miata and a parts car or two.

Comment

Thanks! If there's spark, what next? If no spark, then what? I'll try it on Wed.

Comment

If there is spark then it can be missing fuel. Try a squirt of starting fluid into the air filter.
            David Luney - Suwanee GA
            [email protected]
            04 RX-8, 10 Black MS3, 08 Red MS3, 06 550i, 05 325i 92 Spec Miata and a parts car or two.

Comment

Check battery and alternator connections to make sure they are tight. With a loose connection you can get enough power to run accessories but not enough to crank.
              2020 Jet Black Mica GT RF

Comment

Originally posted by gabrgse View Post
                When I tried to start it again; nothing!
                Frank
                BRG-SE
                Rockmart
                Nothing meaning it won't spin over or won't run?
                David Luney - Suwanee GA
                [email protected]

Comment

Nothing, meaning it won't spin over.

Comment

I suspect your battery cable connections may be loose. Make sure they are tight and not corroded.
                    2020 Jet Black Mica GT RF

Comment

You also may have killed the battery trying to start it. Maybee someone here local can give you an hand.
                      The only thing that oughta be hella flushed is a toilet.
                      http://www.miataramblings.blogspot.com

Comment

OK. Try a jump.
                        David Luney - Suwanee GA
                        [email protected]

Comment

Battery
                          then coil pack
                          if the op can't figure it out himself it's time for him to step. Back before he does harm to himself or the car
                          Instead of being part of the problem, why not be a part of a successful solution

Comment

I try nothing without sound advise from someone who knows. That's why I've posted on this member site. I appreciate all the advise I've been given. I guess it's about time to get out my billfold and involve a good mechanic. THANKS to all who responded! Frank

Comment

i would agree that it could be a bad battery terminal or even a loose or worn wire, my truck is very finiky about the battery position due to a worn wire and wont do anything until you get out and move it then it will crank right up. It also could be your starter, when your trying to crank it if you just hear a single click and then nothing but it will click each time you try the key then I would deff look at the starter
                              1997 mx-5

Comment

Working...
                              X