Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just installed my Tein S-Techs. Why does the rear look lower?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just installed my Tein S-Techs. Why does the rear look lower?

Hey guys, On my 2001 Miata I just got finished installing my Tein S-Tech springs onto factory Bilstein's (mine had the sport susp) the ride feels nice and actually it ended up lower than I thought it would. This is a project car that I drive maybe twice a week on pretty smooth roads in town, and I can't really spend a ton of money on it. I really love the way it came out, but it looks like the back sits lower than the front. I know the S-Techs are supposed to level out the car so it doesn't have forward rake, and honestly the measurement between my center caps and top of wheel arch on all four sides is exactly the same...but it just looks lower on the back. I am positive I put the rear springs on the back and the fronts on the front, and I'm sure I installed everything the right way. I do have a full tank of gas, and I'm wondering if the slope of my sideskirts are helping with the illusion, just wondering if you guys have any info that might help me out. Here is a pic of what I'm talking about. Thanks.
    16990272_1427458040606192_1695423830_o.jpg
    sigpic
    --2001 Miata 6 speed. Purchased for $1,500, slowly restoring--

I dunno, I just MSPaint'd the sideskirts out and now it looks normal.

Maybe I'm just being paranoid.

16990272_1427458040606192_1695423830_o.jpg
    sigpic

Comment

Looks good to me. You may want to measure the pinch weld to get a better ideal. Pinch welds - really the strip of metal that hangs down under the body of the car, about 6 inches in from the outer edge of the skirts. A 1/4" of rake from front to back is normal. It might take a few hundred miles for the springs to settle in.

Comment

Good idea, just did that and it seems like the front it ~3/16" higher than the back. Hopefully the fronts settle a bit and I end up even after a while, if not I'm really not sure what the heck is going on.

Thanks.
        sigpic

Comment

Also, I did not preload the suspension when I tightened it all back up, so I'm sure that's got something to do with it as well. I know that I'm just responding to myself at this point, but I'm just trying to leave as much info as possible in case someone has this issue in the future.
          sigpic

Comment

I loosened everything in the front and then rebolted it all with the suspension under full load. It brought the front of the car down about 1/4" according to my measurements. It still looks a bit high up front to me, but it is definitely lower in the front than it was before.
            16990089_1428394137179249_1096704935_o.jpg
            Lesson learned :)
            sigpic

Comment

I have the same springs. Here's how mine look a few thousand miles after installing
              IMG_8880.jpg
              hopefully my phone didn't post it sideways again
              Last edited by llCRAIGll; 03-05-2017, 12:21 PM.

Comment

Thanks for that pic man, great looking NB.
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X