Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does my top look like this above my window?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why does my top look like this above my window?

Hey guys, this is an issue that's bugged me since I bought this car a little over a year ago. The guy that sold it to me said the original top was cut up, so he had a new one installed at Mazda. This part above the windows just doesn't look right, its this way on both sides:
    16409486_1399041536781176_1979482322_o.jpg
    I have read up a bit about tension wires and stuff, but for some reason this stuff really confuses me, I have worked on cars a lot, and I have done a TON to this Miata already, but for some reason this tension cable thing just doesn't make sense to me. I felt around that edge on the inside of the top, and I can feel a cable on both sides, I just don't understand how this is happening. Is the cable installed wrong?

Thanks guys.
    sigpic
    --2001 Miata 6 speed. Purchased for $1,500, slowly restoring--

Likely the tension cable. Rspeed or Miata Afterworld can help if you don't want to do it yourself. I have complete used frames as needed.
    David Luney - Suwanee GA
    [email protected]
    04 RX-8, 10 Black MS3, 08 Red MS3, 06 550i, 05 325i 92 Spec Miata and a parts car or two.

Comment

I was thinking about giving Rspeed a call actually. I just stumbled upon another forum post where a guy put his tension cable brackets on upside down and it looks like the same issue. When I get home, I'll pull my top back and take a look at mine, hopefully its that simple. Thanks.
      sigpic

Comment

I'm going to come in with the unhelpful but amusing suggestion of "Top-Demons"

You've got an infestation. Get the holy water and a couple of priests.
        Titanium Grey '04 Mazda3 5-door (Sold to Brother)| Stormy Blue Mica '10 Mazda MX-5 Touring | Orca (Black-n-White) '86 Merkur XR4Ti Track Rat | Silver Topaz '13 Chevrolet Volt

Comment

No no no, the holy water would leak right now. lol.
          :lol:
          sigpic

Comment

Interested to see what the fix is, since a friends top has the same issue.
            sigpic

Comment

Same problem on mine. I had checked the tension cable back when I purchased the car but just to see if it was in there. Will have to look for the upside down bracket you mention and see if that will tighten it up.

Comment

https://www.miata.net/garage/tensioncables/

The tab isn't "Squared up" and is pulling the cable sideways.

Comment

Well guys I just took apart what I needed to in order to get to the tab, and here it is:
                  16425370_1399927770025886_2064193610_n.jpg

This looks like the exact issue that this guy had here: https://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=590035

I can't understand how the dealership would have put them on backwards, but it looks like that's what they did. The guy in the other forum post was able to drill out the pop rivet, turn the tab around and rivet it back so that's what I'm going to try.
                  sigpic

Comment

Grabbed the pop rivet gun from work today, going to flip these things around...I'll show you guys when I'm done.
                    sigpic

Comment

Alright. So I drilled out the old pop rivets and flipped the little tabs over so they're in the right direction. Unfortuneatly the two sizes of pop rivets I had on hand would not fit (the hole in the frame was about 1/4" and the hole in the tab was just over 1/8" so my 1/8" pop rivet wouldn't mushroom out enough to catch the frame, and the 3/16" one was too big to fit into the tab) so, I went up to the auto parts store and bought some little nuts and bolts to use instead. This was a pain in the *** to get together by myself (my wife/helper was at yoga) so trying to hold the top halfway open with my shoulder while shoving a bolt through the bottom of the hole with one hand and trying to get the tab lined up on it and hold it there long enough to thread the nut on...but finally I got it all together. It still doesn't look like it comes down over the seal far enough, but it looks much better because there isn't a giant wrinkle above each window. Here are some pics.

16469019_1400938813258115_447465050_n.jpg
                      16409756_1400939096591420_356301253_o.jpg
                      16468967_1400939009924762_763530909_n.jpg
                      sigpic

Comment

That looks much better and as it gets some use and maybe heat it may lose the "memory" from the wrong install.
                        David Luney - Suwanee GA
                        [email protected]
                        04 RX-8, 10 Black MS3, 08 Red MS3, 06 550i, 05 325i 92 Spec Miata and a parts car or two.

Comment

Good point, maybe I should point the hair dryer at it :eek:
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X