more transmission problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• more transmission problems

Finally got everything buttoned up from the clutch install, but unfortunately the car won't go into gear with the motor running. It doesn't seem to be a clutch adjustment issue, as we messed with that for awhile and didn't get anywhere. At one point Katie did get it to shift into all gears but reverse, though we never were able to do that again. I also hear a moderately loud click when releasing the clutch pedal. The only part of the install I can think of that didn't go right was that I was unable to get the ppf positioned exactly in the original position.
    2018 Forester 2.5i 6MT
    2017 NV3500

reverse bleed that puppy.

Comment

So you see the clutch fork moving?
      David Luney - Suwanee GA
      [email protected]
      04 RX-8, 10 Black MS3, 08 Red MS3, 06 550i, 05 325i 92 Spec Miata and a parts car or two.

Comment

If yes, the list includes:
        1. Release arm not on the pivot ball
        2. Clutch disc in backwords
        3. Pilot bearing seized on input shaft

can you start it with the clutch pedal down and the car in gear?
        David Luney - Suwanee GA
        [email protected]
        04 RX-8, 10 Black MS3, 08 Red MS3, 06 550i, 05 325i 92 Spec Miata and a parts car or two.

Comment

Can you put the car in gear engine off, then start the car and roll?

I assume you visually verified proper slave cylinder operation, so my guess is clutch disc is on backwards.
          DIYAutoTune.com

| 10AE-T | BEGi S4 | GT2560r | Enthuza | 6UL | MS3Pro PNP|
          | 2001 Track Rat | Enthuza | Jenvey | MS3Pro PNP | Exocet in Progress|
          | 1992 323 | Wrong-wheel-drive Miata Endurance Racecar|

Comment

Clutch fork is moving fine. I sure as hell hope I didn't put the disc in backwards...not only because of the obvious PIA fix, but because I remember it had a sticker on it saying which way to install it. I highly doubt I could have screwed that up. If I can start the car with it in gear, what would that rule out? Also...the flywheel came with a new pilot bearing already installed, and it seemed to rotate just fine.
            2018 Forester 2.5i 6MT
            2017 NV3500

Comment

You don't have an extra release bearing sitting around?
              David Luney - Suwanee GA
              [email protected]

Comment

Did you buy it used?
                Greg
                I make Stuff....shiny,Metal Stuff.

Comment

I did put in the throwout bearing, and didn't have any issues putting it in (assuming I did that part right). New clutch, new flywheel (with new pilot bearing already pressed in), new throwout bearing, new clutch slave cyl. I'll check tomorrow to see if it will start in gear, though I have no idea what that will tell me.
                  2018 Forester 2.5i 6MT
                  2017 NV3500

Comment

Did you follow FM's instructions on installing and adjusting it?
                    Greg
                    I make Stuff....shiny,Metal Stuff.

Comment

I did all that stuff except for measuring the ppf. I strayed to a difference source when looking for seal replacement info, since I replaced the rear main seal, front tranny seal, and front cover gasket.
                      2018 Forester 2.5i 6MT
                      2017 NV3500

Comment

It's going to have to come back off. If it's not backwards, check the input shaft spines and the clutch disc broaching. Had a friend who had a similar problem, but never checked the splines. He figured/found out after the third attempt. If they are damaged, you can use a small file set to smooth any spalling or damage.

Comment

When putting grease on the splines, I did not notice any damage. Though I suppose they could've been damaged when putting it back in. If that thing has to come back off, I'll tow it into a shop and let someone who actually knows what the hell they're doing fix it properly.
                          2018 Forester 2.5i 6MT
                          2017 NV3500

Comment

That's what I'm referring to. Sometimes people damage the splines reinstalling, the disc gets hung. That would explain why it worked that one time/occasionally. Unless I have a lift, I prefer to pull the motor and trans together doing this job to avoid stuff like this. It may seem like extra work, but it's easier to work on and provides more assurances.

Please report back when you find out! Good luck! :)

Comment

I tried to start it in reverse. Clutch in...goes backwards. So it's not disengaging. And when I hear that click when releasing the pedal, it almost sounds/feels like the clutch is catching on something. So probably not good. Anyone know a good tow company between gainesville and braselton?
                              2018 Forester 2.5i 6MT
                              2017 NV3500

Comment

Working...
                              X