Tips and advice for valve stem seal replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips and advice for valve stem seal replacement

Just wondering if anyone had advice for replacing the valve stem seals. Bought new ones today, and will hopefully be doing this over the weekend to fix the burning oil on startup issue in my 95. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

uh huh... have you ever had a valve train apart before???
    ~Andrew
    Atlanta Region SCCA
    D Prepared Miata

Comment

http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=127309
      91 BRG #3240
      Have you ever seen a guy driving a Mazda Miata and thought, “man, I wish that was me!”? Neither have I.
      Aside from the fact that this car screams “I’m fabulous!” from every angle, this car was made for the guy who wants to drive down the coast with his new scarf from Wal Mart flapping in the breeze. If you own a Miata you're one of three things: in the closet, a woman, or a ******bag.

Comment

Originally posted by amaff View Post
        uh huh... have you ever had a valve train apart before???

I've done cams before, and helped assemble SBC's & BBC's, but never had to mess with with the valve stem seals. I'm paranoid and like to make sure I research as much as possible before tearing into a car.

Good link, I'm trying to confirm weather or not the 1.8 actually does use different seals for the intake and exhaust sides. The pack o seals I got just has 16 in a bag, and they all appear to be identical.
        Last edited by MrVito; 03-05-2009, 09:56 AM.

Comment

All 1.8L are the indeed the same size.

Originally posted by miata5620
          Eric's Garage ... You buy all the parts I tell you to and you will have a killer car... If you want other parts used your car will suck and it will cost you more...

Comment

Awesome, thanks man, any good links for torque specs? I can't seem to find an FSM anywhere online.

Comment

75 IN/LBS for the cam caps.

Trying to get the retainers back in place can be a PITA with the head still on the car, but it's doable if you have a second person there. Me and hector actually just did this to a car in the shop. They make a special tool that removes the keepers in a split second, but putting them back in doesn't work so well. We had to make our own tool and place them in by hand.

Also, the seal puller tool is worth it to get. Like $30 and makes removal a 5 second job. A deepwell 10mm socket is he perfect size to press the new seals down into place.
              ITBs RULE!!!!!!!!!! AGAIN!!!
              I'm using ITBs on stock internals!!
              sigpic
              Chean Chay: they dont have pho in mexico
              Corporation: n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility.
              -Ambrose Bierce
              here's the thing. if you disagree with someone's opinion, having better hair does not make you right. it makes you a ******bag.

Comment

Awesome, thanks a lot, now I need to go buy a new in/lbs torque wrench, a friend borrowed my old one and moved to California!

Comment

Working...
                X