Another book in the clutch saga :C

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another book in the clutch saga :C

Is this my thing? The thing that will get me all the time on an otherwise good car?

Clutch stopped working this morning. Reservoir was dry. Limped it half way to work and then had to get out and put more fluid in and pump it.

Now here is the kicker. I don't think it's the slave this time. i pulled back the boot and nothing poured out. The lubricant inside seemed discolored maybe but if a whole reservoir left the car I feel there would be a bigger and more pronounced amount of fluid there. I followed the line back and forth all the way and couldn't see any thing that popped out at me as a leak.

Could it be the Master? How do I know? Where do I check? Where will the ensuing mess be? Is a little 409 enough to clean it up and stop it from hurting the material. Can I rebuild or replace the master as easy as the slave? Is a rebuild kit better?

Is it somewhere else? It's gotta go somewhere.

I am learning sooooo much with this car.

Fill the reservoir with fluid. Have someone pump the clutch while you watch for leaks.
    My bet now, if the slave is indeed ok, is on the fiber clutch line (above the transmission on the passenger side of the the firewall). Mine split open under one of the crimps and let fluid seep out. Now I have a stainless steel braided line. Best $30 I spent on the car.

Originally posted by miata5620
    Eric's Garage ... You buy all the parts I tell you to and you will have a killer car... If you want other parts used your car will suck and it will cost you more...

Comment

Where can i get this fairly quickly. That may be it. I looked and couldn't see any wetness on that side of the car but did see that as a weak point.

Thats actually not true. I saw all sorts of wetness there but not on the line itself. It did not look like brake fluid but seriously, in a dirty engine how can you tell. :P It is possible that it just shot a jet out every time. I'm not dropping fluid very fast. And the pressure there is really high. Enough to open a hole- shoot a jet and then close again with no signs.
      Last edited by OVERDRIFT; 02-26-2009, 08:37 AM.

Comment

Yeah, that's what it does when there's a pinhole in the line. Mine gushed out of the crimp, but when there was no pressure on the line, you couldn't tell, except for the wet trans bellhousing.

FM has them for $38 + shipping: http://www.flyinmiata.com/index.php?...umber=08-66000

Good-Win for $30: http://www.good-win-racing.com/Mazda...rivetrain.html

Eric's Garage ... You buy all the parts I tell you to and you will have a killer car... If you want other parts used your car will suck and it will cost you more...

Comment

I know I have to fill my resevoir ever so often. Its my slave, but I dont feel like rebuilding it, so I just keep filling it up.lmao
          Kinda inherited the car from my Grandfather. Its a love hate relationship. lol

Comment

Often when the master goes the fluid remains but it must be pumped several times to develop any pressure.
            sigpic

Comment

No fluid in the footwell around the master. It's bone dry. I just checked the hose with somebody pumping like mad and saw no fluid. WHERE IS IT GOING. Are the brake fluid fairies visiting me in the night?

Comment

Hydraulic vampires.
                1991 UK-spec MX-5 - https://www.facebook.com/djinovaband <<< METAL!

Comment

HAHAHAHAHAAHAH That is so funny! Just five minutes ago I was cleaning the kitchen thinking

"fairies. its gotta be fairies. Wait, how do they do it? Do they drink it from the reservoir? No. Can't be. It's gotta be vampire fairies..."

Drove the car home today and it doesn't look to have lost anything significant. I checked as soon as I got home and again, no wetness anywhere on the line that I could see.

Comment

How many miles are on the car? After I had already done my slave cylinder, my clutch messed about a couple of times. Figured I would need to change the master cylinder at some point so went ahead and did it. No problems since.

Comment

137,000. Could be the master. Where would all the fluid go though? Am I missing something?

Comment

We need to find a way to m,ake a clutch cable conversion kit... it will sell by the millions.

Comment

Conversion kit?

Comment

yes.. to convert Miatas to a cable activated clutch..ditch the hydrualic system.

Comment

Oh. ****. I had cables on my Saturn. I hated those things.

Comment

Working...
                              X