230k miles and no problems?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 230k miles and no problems?

well after 230 thousand miles with no problems, i get one.

this is my story..

im looking for a parking space at my college ( if you go to gwinnett tech you know how hard that is) and im driving back to the front of the school, when i stop and all of a sudden i start smelling coolant like crazy, then boom temperature shoots up. so i park it and just assumed that a hose blew or the radiator cracked. i havent checked it because i was running late after that and didnt want to burn my hands. so im not sure exactly whats broke.

anyone have a spare radiator (if thats the case) i can borrow or buy for next to nothing until i can get a koyorad.
    "keep drifting fun......or else..." --Andy Sapp

I have a spare radiator that you can borrow for nothing until you get a Koyo. It came from my 95 with 168k, and I'm assuming it's the original. I'm pretty sure there is a difference between the 1.6 and 1.8 radiators, though, so not sure what it would take to make it work for you.
    sigpic

Comment

1.6 & 1.8 are the same. (except for NB)

I have a low mile stock radiator for sale if required as well.
      Last edited by metalman; 02-19-2009, 01:27 PM.
      sigpic

Comment

Check what it is first. Could be that stupid plug on the back of the engine.

Comment

could be a radiator endtank (well known for seperating on stock radiators), could be a radiator hose, could be a coolant line on the throttle body, could be a heater hose, hell, could even be as bad as a headgasket. Was there a large trail of coolant behind your car when you pulled into the parking spot?

Comment

Originally posted by nickt93 View Post
            I have a spare radiator that you can borrow for nothing until you get a Koyo. It came from my 95 with 168k, and I'm assuming it's the original. I'm pretty sure there is a difference between the 1.6 and 1.8 radiators, though, so not sure what it would take to make it work for you.
            I'll keep you in mind cause that'd be awesome to use

Originally posted by metalman View Post
            1.6 & 1.8 are the same.

I have a low mile stock radiator for sale if required as well.
            Thanks man, I'm pretty sure it's the radiator

Originally posted by simontibbett View Post
            Check what it is first. Could be that stupid plug on the back of the engine.
            It's hard to check everything in the school parknig lot but I'm gonna get it home first before calling people.

Comment

No there was no trail of coolant behind me in the parking lot, there is hardly and under the car

Comment

How high did the temp gauge go and how long after smelling coolant did it go up?

Comment

Wait, You've driven your miata for 230k miles with no breakages and you are unhappy that a radiator broke? hahaha This is awesome. Radiators are a small fix and it could be far worse. I am surprised at how durable these things are.

cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Doppelgänger View Post
                    How high did the temp gauge go and how long after smelling coolant did it go up?
                    it only went about 3/4 the way up and i wasnt in the car for more than a few maybe 5 minutes. because i had to get to my class.

Originally posted by OVERDRIFT View Post
                    Wait, You've driven your miata for 230k miles with no breakages and you are unhappy that a radiator broke? hahaha This is awesome. Radiators are a small fix and it could be far worse. I am surprised at how durable these things are.

cheers
                    haha yeah i guess i shouldnt be so unhappy about it, it could be a lot worse. and yeah 230k with no major problem out of the car.

Comment

Working...
                    X