Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

won't go into gear

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • won't go into gear

    ok so I did a motor swap over the weekend and I have a few small issues.

    1) Well right now the car is not going into gear once running. Works perfectly fine when the car is off. The slave still works, and I can start the car in gear and holding the clutch. And move around in that gear but I once I pop it out of gear I can't put it back in gear unless I turn off the car.

    I am using the same transmission, clutch and flywheel that I had in the 1.6 on the 1.8. The block is a 99 but I don't see there being and difference that it would cause but how knows. I need to look at the car some more after work, just wondering if anyone has any ideas of random things to look for,

    2) the idle is bouncing around. it at about 1.5K to about 2.5k. Not really sure why, as the exhaust doesn't line up correctly so I can't really idle the car for any length of time as it is running an open DP and is stupid loud at idle.

    Thanks
    1988 323 GTX--- The toy now :D
    2008 Mazdaspeed 3::SOLD ----- 1991 BRG NA8 Swap, Turbo::SOLD

  • #2
    What are you using for an ECU?

    Originally posted by miata5620
    Eric's Garage ... You buy all the parts I tell you to and you will have a killer car... If you want other parts used your car will suck and it will cost you more...

    Comment


    • #3
      did you replace the throwout bearing? Pilot bearing?

      Have you had someone sit in the car and push the clutch so you could watch the slave do its job?

      Can you rev match while driving to change gears?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by RotorNutFD3S View Post
        What are you using for an ECU?
        Stock 1.6 ECu still
        1988 323 GTX--- The toy now :D
        2008 Mazdaspeed 3::SOLD ----- 1991 BRG NA8 Swap, Turbo::SOLD

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Doppelgänger View Post
          did you replace the throwout bearing? Pilot bearing?

          Have you had someone sit in the car and push the clutch so you could watch the slave do its job?

          Can you rev match while driving to change gears?

          I didn't replace the bearings as they were still in good shape and will be replaced when the clutch is replaced. The TOB was working 100% with no noise before the swap.

          I have had someone sit in the car and push the clutch. The slave work and isn't leaking.

          I have yet to try and rev match as the car is in a neighborhood and it is loud. Don't really want to piss off everyone. (Not the best at rev matching to start with and there is a nice up hill right in front of my place :()


          I didn't replace a single part of the drive line. From the flywheel back, is all the same from the 1.6L I don't see why it now giving me trouble.
          1988 323 GTX--- The toy now :D
          2008 Mazdaspeed 3::SOLD ----- 1991 BRG NA8 Swap, Turbo::SOLD

          Comment


          • #6
            Where is the o2 sensor? In the downpipe or in the unconnected portion of the exhaust?
            What injectors?
            Probably not the best idea to be running a 1.8 engine and a 1.6 ECU. Something may not be getting controlled properly, and I bet it's the fuel map.

            Originally posted by miata5620
            Eric's Garage ... You buy all the parts I tell you to and you will have a killer car... If you want other parts used your car will suck and it will cost you more...

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by RotorNutFD3S View Post
              Where is the o2 sensor? In the downpipe or in the unconnected portion of the exhaust?
              What injectors?
              Probably not the best idea to be running a 1.8 engine and a 1.6 ECU. Something may not be getting controlled properly, and I bet it's the fuel map.

              Many people have done the 1.8 swap using the 1.6 and even using the 1.6 injectors. You have to use the 1.6 ECU unless you replace the whole wiring harness.

              The 02 sensor is in about the original location in the down pipe.
              1988 323 GTX--- The toy now :D
              2008 Mazdaspeed 3::SOLD ----- 1991 BRG NA8 Swap, Turbo::SOLD

              Comment


              • #8
                Ah. Well as I've never had to do a 1.6 -> 1.8 swap, I've never read or researched it. Didn't know that. Interesting though.
                All your vacuum lines hooked up and routed properly? Do the spray test, make sure none of them are leaking.

                Originally posted by miata5620
                Eric's Garage ... You buy all the parts I tell you to and you will have a killer car... If you want other parts used your car will suck and it will cost you more...

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by RotorNutFD3S View Post
                  Ah. Well as I've never had to do a 1.6 -> 1.8 swap, I've never read or researched it. Didn't know that. Interesting though.
                  All your vacuum lines hooked up and routed properly? Do the spray test, make sure none of them are leaking.

                  Haven't really done the spray test or really check my boost gauge to judge vacuum. Kinda need to get some ear protection and just say FU to the neighbors to do that. So I can just let it idle check for vacuum leaks. Granted as my one neighbor joked. There is a nova in the neighbor that loud so most people shouldn't car but my miata a little higher pitch then his sweet nova.
                  1988 323 GTX--- The toy now :D
                  2008 Mazdaspeed 3::SOLD ----- 1991 BRG NA8 Swap, Turbo::SOLD

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    The block wouldn't make a difference. You can pull the shift fork boot out so you can look in the bellhousing - one of the little led flexible flash lights helps. But if you've got proper mechanical action at the slave, then it has to be something after that- between the slave and the flywheel.

                    * clutch disc facing right direction
                    * fork seated on post properly
                    * t/o bearing mounting to fork properly
                    * t/o bearing mating to pp springs properly
                    * good spring action on pp when clutch pedal is pressed
                    | 90 Miata | Turbocharged Stock Mazda FE-dohc 2.0L engine swap | 302whp 281ftlbs |

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by FE3tMX5 View Post
                      The block wouldn't make a difference. You can pull the shift fork boot out so you can look in the bellhousing - one of the little led flexible flash lights helps. But if you've got proper mechanical action at the slave, then it has to be something after that- between the slave and the flywheel.

                      * clutch disc facing right direction
                      * fork seated on post properly
                      * t/o bearing mounting to fork properly
                      * t/o bearing mating to pp springs properly
                      * good spring action on pp when clutch pedal is pressed
                      I will to check that tonight. I am going to go down each part of the clutch line and see what is happening.

                      I was just wondering, since you mentioned it... can one even bolt the PP onto the CD if the disc is backward. It just seems like someone that would be imposable to do just do to the side that is wide/bigger would hit the flywheel if installed wrong.

                      Man I really don't want to have drop my tranny..
                      1988 323 GTX--- The toy now :D
                      2008 Mazdaspeed 3::SOLD ----- 1991 BRG NA8 Swap, Turbo::SOLD

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I think it's possible with one of them - 1.6 or 1.8., not sure which and I've got so many pieces of various clutches and flywheels and pressure plates laying around that I could piece something together to tell ya. Definitely get an led light in the fork hole and try to see what's going on. I had a spec clutch fail and peered through that hole to see the t/o bearing pressing on the springs, so I knew something was screwed up. When I took it apart I found this:

                        All those pieces were wedged between the disc, flywheel and pp.
                        | 90 Miata | Turbocharged Stock Mazda FE-dohc 2.0L engine swap | 302whp 281ftlbs |

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by FE3tMX5 View Post
                          I think it's possible with one of them - 1.6 or 1.8., not sure which and I've got so many pieces of various clutches and flywheels and pressure plates laying around that I could piece something together to tell ya. Definitely get an led light in the fork hole and try to see what's going on. I had a spec clutch fail and peered through that hole to see the t/o bearing pressing on the springs, so I knew something was screwed up. When I took it apart I found this:

                          All those pieces were wedged between the disc, flywheel and pp.

                          I remember you talking about that.

                          I am not sure if one could bolt the clutch up backwards on the 1.6 as one side was only 1/4" of thickness and the other had almost an 1".

                          I am just praying this is something really really small and stupid.
                          1988 323 GTX--- The toy now :D
                          2008 Mazdaspeed 3::SOLD ----- 1991 BRG NA8 Swap, Turbo::SOLD

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            W00t I got it into gear.

                            One of the bolts that held the slave in was a little short and for some reason wasn't holding tight enough. Swapped it out for a longer bolt and it bolted down nice and tight. Started the car and was able to put it into gear, with the car in the air still. I need to do a few small things and then I will try driving it on the road.
                            1988 323 GTX--- The toy now :D
                            2008 Mazdaspeed 3::SOLD ----- 1991 BRG NA8 Swap, Turbo::SOLD

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Always the stupid small thing! :D Glad you found it dude!!!

                              Originally posted by miata5620
                              Eric's Garage ... You buy all the parts I tell you to and you will have a killer car... If you want other parts used your car will suck and it will cost you more...

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X