Rear axle...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear axle...

while swapping my rear end when i pulled off one of my axles from the rear end the flat cirle disc in the axle opened a little bit and a silver ball fell out....what do i do?? do i just shove it back up in there and put it back together? or do i have to put it in a special place or replace the entire end...? please help !!?
    sigpic

Trying to understand... you opened up the CV joint and its guts spilled out? I've been told that there are specialty shops which can rebuild the CV, but it's probably best/easiest to find a new axle.
    DIYAutoTune.com

| 10AE-T | BEGi S4 | GT2560r | Enthuza | 6UL | MS3Pro PNP|
    | 2001 Track Rat | Enthuza | Jenvey | MS3Pro PNP | Exocet in Progress|
    | 1992 323 | Wrong-wheel-drive Miata Endurance Racecar|

Comment

I typed a bigass response but lost it!

Anyway...you can put that back in and you should be OK (make sure there's no dirt on it, and make sure there is sufficient grease in the CV joint.

If you remove the bolts in the red circles below, you should be able to remove the diff/axles without putting the pressure on them that pops the ends open. Don't feel bad, same thing happened to me and my bro when we tried to remove his rear diff the first time.

1991 UK-spec MX-5 - https://www.facebook.com/djinovaband <<< METAL!

Comment

I cant recall what year model your car is but if its a 90-93 I have a cheap axle for you.
        If its a 94-7 then axles are a bit tougher to find, and more expensive.
        sigpic

Comment

well i can get one, but i woulld rather just put that ball back in there if it wont hurt anything? are they in there loosely or in special slots...i've never had any trouble with my axles

heres a pic of it i just pushed it together with the ball out.

Last edited by Flash13783; 01-25-2009, 02:15 PM.
          sigpic

Comment

If its assembled properly and re greased you might be okay.
            The ball bearings all have to go in the correct spots.
            sigpic

Comment

Is that a 90-93 or 94-early 95 axle?
              DIYAutoTune.com

Comment

91...and do i just pull that circle completely out and there are slots to put them in or what? lol i dont want to mess it up .

you can see where it came out at the bottom will i be safe just to lift that up and put it in there??
                sigpic

Comment

Buy another axle. They are very cheap.
                  DIYAutoTune.com

Comment

do i have to do anything special when putting it back together, i know your suppose to mark the driveshaft and axles, but i have a totally different rear end.
                    sigpic

Comment

There will be only one spot that the bearing will fit back into properly. All of the other holes should have bearings in them already. If not, then you might want to look into replacing the axle.

Comment

Originally posted by MoD_Scotty View Post
                        There will be only one spot that the bearing will fit back into properly. All of the other holes should have bearings in them already. If not, then you might want to look into replacing the axle.
                        sweet im i'll just pop it back in but as far as the drive shaft and axles does it matter how they're put on ???
                        sigpic

Comment

somebody anybody lol as soon as i find out if it matters i can put this thing back together!
                          sigpic

Comment

I gotta replace my drivers side axle soon. Good luck.
                            "Never let go of what you got, because it might just be all you'll ever get"

Comment

Originally posted by Flash13783 View Post
                              sweet im i'll just pop it back in but as far as the drive shaft and axles does it matter how they're put on ???
                              Refer to my earlier post about how to take them off. Then reverse that.

Comment

Working...
                              X