• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remember The GTR Spy Photos?

Autosport....

Nissan to run part-season in FIA GT

By Matt Beer Friday, February 27th 2009, 12:13 GMT

Nissan GTRNissan will return to top-line European sportscar racing this season with a four-round FIA GT Championship programme in partnership with Gigawave Motorsport.

Aston Martin driver Darren Turner and long-time factory Nissan racer Michael Krumm are set to drive a new Nissan GT-R as a precursor to an entry in the proposed new GT1 world championship that FIA GT boss Stephane Ratel is creating for 2010.

A Nissan statement said the purpose of the four 2009 appearances was to "check the performance of cars to be sold to racing teams competing in the
    FIA-GT1 class." The Nissan will not be eligible for FIA GT points this season.

The car has been developed by Nissan's in-house motorsport company NISMO, who will run it in partnership with Gigawave. Autosport revealed last month that Krumm had already tested the car in secret in Japan.

The project is Nissan's first major worldwide sportscar programme since they fought for outright victory at Le Mans in the late 1990s.

I'm curious how much weight they took out of that little piggy...

EDIT: Don't forget that F1 style standing starts could void the warranty :lol:
    ~Andrew
    Atlanta Region SCCA
    D Prepared Miata

Comment

It does look pretty evil. I wonder how much of the fancy stuff is still in it.

Comment

I'm gonna laugh if it's a GT Car a la GXP-R. FWD V6 turns into a RWD V8 on a tube frame chassis? SRSLY? :p
        ~Andrew
        Atlanta Region SCCA
        D Prepared Miata

Comment

It's not a tube frame, obviously lots of weight gone with composites and such.

Edit: weight: 3,417

It's thought they put a V8 in the V6's place which makes perfect sense.
          Last edited by simontibbett; 02-28-2009, 07:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by simontibbett View Post
            Edit: weight: 3,417
            Good lord that's still ridiculously heavy! Obviously I'm not talking apples to apples here, but that thing weighs 1,287 lbs more than my Miata... that's a full blown race car that weighs a more than a HALF TON more than my mildly lightened miata... HALF TON!

I'm almost to the point of putting the GT-R into the same category as NASCAR: The only thing I find interesting about them is that they can get inherently BAD cars to go that fast. There are full sized trucks lighter than that damn thing.
            Last edited by amaff; 02-28-2009, 04:34 PM.
            ~Andrew
            Atlanta Region SCCA
            D Prepared Miata

Comment

I agree. Anything weighing 3k is hard to perceive as a race car.
              2020 Jet Black Mica GT RF

Comment

Originally posted by amaff View Post
                Good lord that's still ridiculously heavy! Obviously I'm not talking apples to apples here, but that thing weighs 1,287 lbs more than my Miata... that's a full blown race car that weighs a more than a HALF TON more than my mildly lightened miata... HALF TON!

I'm almost to the point of putting the GT-R into the same category as NASCAR: The only thing I find interesting about them is that they can get inherently BAD cars to go that fast. There are full sized trucks lighter than that damn thing.
                Honestly I find that staggering. In many ways more impressive than making a light car go fast, it's a testament to modern automotive technology.

Comment

Well it is a street based car. It may weigh a ton more then your Miata, but would run circles, squares, a triangle and a lap before you shift to second lol.

I hate GTR's, but this one looks pretty cool, and big props to Nissan for entering some FIA stuff.

BTW for comparison to an ALMS GT1 car the GT1 Vettes weigh a little over 2500lbs.

Comment

i like the spy shot car better than the factory car! FTW!

Comment

Originally posted by Jack-MX5ATLanta.com View Post
                      In many ways more impressive than making a light car go fast
                      I agree with this. It's a fantastic design and engineering excersise. But let's think about it this way: Imagine, if you would, all that technology packed into something that weighed a much more reasonable 2500 lbs. Now THAT would be stupid. I still wouldn't want to drive it (that is to say, I wouldn't want to ride in it, the computers drive it), but it would be BLISTERINGLY fast.
                      ~Andrew
                      Atlanta Region SCCA
                      D Prepared Miata

Comment

Well this one is raw race car, obviously the street technology can't all be used here in this class.

Comment

Originally posted by simontibbett View Post
                          obviously the street technology can't all be used here in this class.
                          might void the warranty like I said :p
                          ~Andrew
                          Atlanta Region SCCA
                          D Prepared Miata

Comment

Working...
                          X