Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Road trip maintenance

Hey all,

I'm thinking about driving my 90 NA miata up to Gatlinburg next month (about 200 miles one way). I just bought a 1990 NA miata and it's pretty well maintained mechanically. What maintenance should I do to prevent a big issue on the road? I was thinking oil change, trans fluid change, brake fluid change and maybe diff fluid change? Anything else you guys do for a long road trip?

I was planning on taking two jack stands, a small floor jack, basic ratchet set, breaker bar and torque wrench just in case i need to do something on the road. Some friends are going to be driving up alongside me so space isn't an issue

I think it's a good idea to swap all fluids (when buying a car) if you don't know the last time they were changed. Consider checking your coolant for proper mixture, or replacing it if old.
    2001 BRG SE

Comment

Originally posted by boatshoes View Post
      I think it's a good idea to swap all fluids (when buying a car) if you don't know the last time they were changed. Consider checking your coolant for proper mixture, or replacing it if old.
      This is definitely true on a 30 year old car. But if you've done them yourself recently it should all be fine for a 200 mile drive. Just check your air pressure is good in your tyres and you'll be good to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack-MX5ATLanta.com View Post

This is definitely true on a 30 year old car. But if you've done them yourself recently it should all be fine for a 200 mile drive. Just check your air pressure is good in your tyres and you'll be good to go.
        Well he just bought the car. I should have put my IF in all caps because if he has documentation about the maintenance then there's no need other than checking the coolant and oil levels.
        Hey OP, do you have any documented maintenance done by the previous owner? Haven't given us much background to go off of other than "pretty well maintained".
        2001 BRG SE

Comment

Working...
        X