Thinking of getting my car dyno tuned

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking of getting my car dyno tuned

Picked up a supercharged 90 car running a ms3 plug and play and this stuff is a bit out of my wheel house, got it running pretty decent just not as good as i would like.

Anyone got any recommendations, preferably someone in or around Atlanta.
    16' VW Golf R | 97 Salvagewon Eliminator | 90 SC'd Track Project

If you’re up for the challenge you can probably find a spark map on Miata turbo and autotune the fuel. I’ve been happy with my results doing that (210whp on an MSM turbo)
    sigpic
    Current: 1994 Merlot (Turbo) Sold: Red '02 Turbo | 2010 - 2015 ~~~ 987 Boxster | 2012-2014 ~~~ Z4 ///M Roadster | 2015 - 2015 ~~~ Z4 3.0i (18k miles!)| 2018-2018 ~~~ 2006 Miata (Laci) | one track day ~~~ Exocet (Turbo!) | 2015-2019

Comment

Hey Rick!

I have a map from the previous owner that I worked with to dial it in a bit more. Everything works great driving the car for the most part, my issues are idling/startup when hot and cold. I’m sure a bit more power could be made from getting the timing right and some tweaking to fuel just would rather have a pro do it so I can also learn a bit.

Comment

I’ve been fortunate to have good out of the box support for start and idle. I understand that can be a real pain to get right.

Hows your eliminator project going? You going to make it to JZilla next weekend?
        sigpic
        Current: 1994 Merlot (Turbo) Sold: Red '02 Turbo | 2010 - 2015 ~~~ 987 Boxster | 2012-2014 ~~~ Z4 ///M Roadster | 2015 - 2015 ~~~ Z4 3.0i (18k miles!)| 2018-2018 ~~~ 2006 Miata (Laci) | one track day ~~~ Exocet (Turbo!) | 2015-2019

Comment

Originally posted by Rick02R View Post
          I’ve been fortunate to have good out of the box support for start and idle. I understand that can be a real pain to get right.

Hows your eliminator project going? You going to make it to JZilla next weekend?
          Ya mine is a bit rough, its a common problem as well as ive been seeing on the internet.

Eliminator is coming along well, paint next week and then not too long after that and it will be ready!

Ill be at the event, might just instruct for a friend though.

Comment

Maybe contact the Megasquirt guys in Swannee and see if they can suggest someone nearby.

https://www.diyautotune.com/

They have a dyno, but might prefer to have other shops do customer tuning. I think their dyno is mainly for product development.
            RussMcB, Marietta, GA
            '99 Miata street car (Spec Miata sold)
            '91 Corvette ZR-1 LT-5, '82 Ralt RT-4/Hayabusa
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rick02R View Post
              If you’re up for the challenge you can probably find a spark map on Miata turbo and autotune the fuel. I’ve been happy with my results doing that (210whp on an MSM turbo)
              Ended up grabbing a spark map from another eliminator owner who runs a m45 on his 1.6 and tuned for fuel, runs a bit better but still no luck tuning the stalls out when coming to stop. Oh well, racecar!

Comment

So, dyno tuning is typically performance oriented - spark and fuel at WOT.

A good tune is one that doesn't stall. Time to get educated. What method are you using (open, closed loop), have you snubbed the MAT response, have you made a "raft" in your lower cells?

Comment

Have you checked the health of the bypass actuator on the SC? When they go wonky, the car tends to stall out. It like a big vacuum leak.

Comment

Originally posted by kung fu jesus View Post
                    Have you checked the health of the bypass actuator on the SC? When they go wonky, the car tends to stall out. It like a big vacuum leak.
                    I have its in great shape.

Comment

I have only messed with idle settings on 2 miatas, so take my info with a grain of salt. That being said...

You may need to add some fuel/spark to the low kpa/low rpm cells to help with your stalling issue. It can also help to set your idle valve minimum duty. You can put your idle valve in test mode and find out what the minimum and maximum values are. Finding these values can help you dial in your cold and hot starts, as you can tell the idle valve what position to be at. This will make sure your engine has enough air to start, but not so much that it revs too high immediately after start up.

What is your idle valve frequency set to? Setting mine to 306hz helped me.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by RussMcB View Post
                        Maybe contact the Megasquirt guys in Swannee and see if they can suggest someone nearby.

https://www.diyautotune.com/

They have a dyno, but might prefer to have other shops do customer tuning. I think their dyno is mainly for product development.
                        They recommend Doug Wilks (DBW Motorsports) and whatshisface @dooey got tuned by at Zen Motors unless I'm mistaken.

Comment

Working...
                        X