Opinions on NCs in general

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions on NCs in general

I've finished up building my second street NA. I have a disease where I get bored with cars when I'm finally finished with them. With the bottom dropping out on NCs, I'd like to hear some input from some owners about the cars.

This can be a touchy subject for many Miata purists. Many will say the NC doesn't stay true to the original Miata concept. You should really drive one and try to form your own opinion.

I have driven and even raced NAs and NBs over the years. I just recently moved to an NC. My take is NC still have a sports car feel but not quite the same raw visceral feeling you may get from the earlier cars. While the weight is a little more and it does tend to feel like a bigger car it also handles very well.

Mine is a daily driver so personally I enjoy it much more than the NB I had.
    YMMV
    2020 Jet Black Mica GT RF

Comment

The pricing on the NC definitely has me intrigued. I would consider one as a DD. I have even looked into buying one with a swiffy engine for cheap and doing a 2.5l swap.

Comment

I'm not a purist in any sense. I also do a lot of highway driving to and from work, and I'm just ragged from the NA on some days, even with new street coilovers and top hats.

Comment

For a DD I think you will like it then.
          2020 Jet Black Mica GT RF

Comment

Had my NA for 14 years and got an NC, and never looked back. When NC's came out I didn't like them; that was purely aesthetic. Over time I got over the aesthetics and eventually drove an NC. And pretty much like the first time driving an NA, in the first block of driving I knew I had to have one. To me it seems the NC did everything better than the NA, aside from aesthetics. My NC has been great; maybe not as carefree as my NA, but it's so much better at being a real car. It's a bit more comfortable, with suspension upgrades it handles and rides better, it's much faster, the cloth top is stupid-easy to open/close and live with. Even though it's a lot faster it gets better fuel economy, too. If you want A/C it doesn't feel like turning on the "anti-turbo" as it does on an NA.

I only know one person who went backwards from an NC into an NB. NC got wrecked, NC had payments, he bought a nice NB to replace it and it's paid off. He definitely misses the NC...but no debt/payments is a worthwhile cause.

The NC was a big jump from an NA. I didn't get that feeling driving an NB vs. an NA, it was incrementally better (stiffer body, slight HP increase) but not a jump like NA to NC. I've driven an ND and love the aesthetics/interior, but I certainly didn't get that "have to have it" feel after even a short drive. Compared to my ECU-tuned and suspension-modified NC it didn't feel any faster, suspension was soft with lots of body roll, and the steering is a bit aloof by comparison. To me the NC's are a bargain.
            Last edited by zzmx-5; 07-28-2017, 11:00 AM.
            06 True Red Touring - Eibach Springs & Sways - Koni Sports - Enthuzacar NC Cruiser Exhaust - Auto Exe wheel & shift knob - '13 Club Edition seats - Hella Supertones - a Protege5 used as the daily backpack.

Comment

The NC is a much more refined car than the NA/NB. It doesn't scream "Race Car" like an early car with a sport suspension. Instead it say "yeah, I'm plenty track capable, maybe faster than many NA/NBs even, but I'm going to keep you comfy on your ride to work".

The looks never tickled me but the over all platform has me quite impressed. LSD is obviously a big plus if you're going to track it. Stock suspension isn't bad honestly. Bigger swaybars are a cheap upgrade.

I did have trouble at an AMP event with putting the top down because the factory hoops are a little low. Not sure what .25mm of canvas and a couple hollow tubes do for roll protection, but hey, they let me run.
              sigpic
              Current: 1994 Merlot (Turbo) Sold: Red '02 Turbo | 2010 - 2015 ~~~ 987 Boxster | 2012-2014 ~~~ Z4 ///M Roadster | 2015 - 2015 ~~~ Z4 3.0i (18k miles!)| 2018-2018 ~~~ 2006 Miata (Laci) | one track day ~~~ Exocet (Turbo!) | 2015-2019

Comment

Also note that the Mx5 Atlanta membership is getting old and soft. Not everyone want's a RACECAR anymore ;-)
                sigpic
                Current: 1994 Merlot (Turbo) Sold: Red '02 Turbo | 2010 - 2015 ~~~ 987 Boxster | 2012-2014 ~~~ Z4 ///M Roadster | 2015 - 2015 ~~~ Z4 3.0i (18k miles!)| 2018-2018 ~~~ 2006 Miata (Laci) | one track day ~~~ Exocet (Turbo!) | 2015-2019

Comment

I've tracked my NC for 2.5 years now. Car is awesome, driver is getting there.

The drivetrain is absolutely stout. If you're in the Duluth area, give me a buzz, and we can go for a ride sometime.
                  2007 True Red Miata

Comment

Cool, I might take you up on that next time I'm that way

Comment

Originally posted by rockstar b View Post
                      Cool, I might take you up on that next time I'm that way
                      Do it - his is pretty well modified, and mine was stock - on OEM suspension - if you jsut do sways, Pilot Super Sports and some pads, you'll have a hoot of a DD for cheap.
                      2008 Highland Green Mazdaspeed GT
                      Ohlins/Eibachs/AutoEXE

Comment

My only gripe is with the stock seats, the NC interior is much more cramped than the NA or NB. Now that prices are way down, I'd love see what swapping in old NA1 or Lotus seats would do for legroom. The NC chassis is nearly an RX-8 chassis, most of the upgrades for the RX-8 swap over, and every buff book loved the handling of those. With some sways and a set of Ohlins,you'd keep up with most anything on the track. No sure if FM is still selling the NC supercharger, but with one of those, you could embarrass some machinery costing triple the price.
                        Red '91, MSM longblock/BEGI-FM hybrid turbo w/2871r/3"Enthuza/Hydra2.7/700cc/Ohlins/
                        RacingBrake11"BBK/SS HDDD/Nakamae everything/KGWorks/Zoom/We're done!

Comment

I'm pretty interested in checking them out. I've got my NA for sale in the by/sell forum right now.

Comment

Originally posted by zzmx-5 View Post
                            Had my NA for 14 years and got an NC, and never looked back. When NC's came out I didn't like them; that was purely aesthetic. Over time I got over the aesthetics and eventually drove an NC. And pretty much like the first time driving an NA, in the first block of driving I knew I had to have one. To me it seems the NC did everything better than the NA, aside from aesthetics. My NC has been great; maybe not as carefree as my NA, but it's so much better at being a real car. It's a bit more comfortable, with suspension upgrades it handles and rides better, it's much faster, the cloth top is stupid-easy to open/close and live with. Even though it's a lot faster it gets better fuel economy, too. If you want A/C it doesn't feel like turning on the "anti-turbo" as it does on an NA.

I only know one person who went backwards from an NC into an NB. NC got wrecked, NC had payments, he bought a nice NB to replace it and it's paid off. He definitely misses the NC...but no debt/payments is a worthwhile cause.

The NC was a big jump from an NA. I didn't get that feeling driving an NB vs. an NA, it was incrementally better (stiffer body, slight HP increase) but not a jump like NA to NC. I've driven an ND and love the aesthetics/interior, but I certainly didn't get that "have to have it" feel after even a short drive. Compared to my ECU-tuned and suspension-modified NC it didn't feel any faster, suspension was soft with lots of body roll, and the steering is a bit aloof by comparison. To me the NC's are a bargain.
                            I just went from an ND to an NC. I really like the NC. It's a low-miles car and about half the price. Considering a supercharger too. Curious about suspension tuning. I have a GT so I didn't get the Bilsteins. Is this something I should consider upgrading to?

Comment

What year is the car, what mileage? My NC had 60K when purchased, sat like a Jeep, handled okay enough...but it was eye-opening how big the improvement was when the Konis and the Eibach springs were installed. Ride quality improved as much as the handling. A year later I upgraded to Eibach sways, again a huge improvement. If you have 2009 or newer, the ride height is more natural, the front sits lower. Start w/some sway bars, perhaps consider Flyin' Miata Stage 1 suspension or just the springs if your shocks are still decent, or if you do track days/autocrosses start looking at coilovers. Also consider joining the NC-specific Facebook page if you haven't already; lots of good information there, Zadnak is the admin.
                              06 True Red Touring - Eibach Springs & Sways - Koni Sports - Enthuzacar NC Cruiser Exhaust - Auto Exe wheel & shift knob - '13 Club Edition seats - Hella Supertones - a Protege5 used as the daily backpack.

Comment

Working...
                              X