Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Leaving the top down. Has anyone ever stole something from your car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaving the top down. Has anyone ever stole something from your car?

I usually leave me too down more often than I leave it up. Here it Atlanta GA I've never had any problems. Sometimes I worry about my radio being stolen but I haven't heard of that happening in years. Ironically I accidentally left my wife's Camry unlocked in a movie theater parking lot and I lost like $10 worth of quarters during the movie from someone taking them. Do other people tend to have good luck with this?
    sigpic

No. But a high school classmate once filled my previous car with pinestraw :lol:
    2001 BRG SE

Comment

Two general rules I have used driving ragtops.
      1.Don't leave anything of real value in the car.
      2.Don't lock the car because a pocket knife will open the top. The top is more expensive than anything inside the car.
      2020 Jet Black Mica GT RF

Comment

Originally posted by jester911 View Post
        2.Don't lock the car because a pocket knife will open the top. The top is more expensive than anything inside the car.

^this. I left my na unlocked the entire time I owned it and never left anything of value in it, last week of owning it and some guy opened the top right up with a knife . . . .doors were still unlocked :(. my new one has a sticker on the roll bar that literally says "doors are unlocked butthole"
        1997 mx-5

Comment

I always leave my top down, only had one incident. In my old apartment complex someone took my parking badge for work and prescription sunglasses. Other than that nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by jester911 View Post

^^^^I had some smoke taken, and some random quarters, but like others. I disabled the interior trunk release and just left my car unlocked. Hell, I'd leave the top down a lot too, just to reduce the top from being cut :D

I had a cheap $40 head unit, and when I was in downtown I would take the faceplate off and put it in the glovebox. Just to help reduce people trying to cut my top.
            1988 323 GTX--- The toy now :D
            2008 Mazdaspeed 3::SOLD ----- 1991 BRG NA8 Swap, Turbo::SOLD

Comment

Usually when stuff gets stolen from me, its at gun point and they snuck in through the back door. :p

Honestly, if you leave the top down, you cant really be surprised if your radio or anything else was taken from the car. Mainly because you left an opening for a thief. My advice to anyone is just don't play the victim. Meaning don't leave valuables out in the open or leave an "invite" because crime doesn't have a zip code, and if a thief sees something of value at a quick glance, they will jump on it. As Brian mentioned, if your head unit has a removable faceplate, then utilize it.
              sigpic
              No matter how many friends you think you have, the size of your funeral will depend on the weather.
              Originally posted by sharkythesharkdogg
              I don't want some dude's balls on my neck while I'm yelling at some Vietnamese guy.

Comment

Top up but doors unlocked in the parking deck of my old apartment complex in Dunwoody: http://www.mx5atlanta.com/forums/sho...261#post217261

At that point I replaced the system with a phone-only setup then removed it completely in the interest of saving weight at the track.
                Chris and Lola

Comment

Someone stole a Decepticon air freshener that was hanging on my mirror from my NA. I was a little salty about that. Who does that??

2013 NC MX5 Club - Build Thread ~ 2017 VW Golf R ~ IG: DroptopDestron
                  1997 M *SOLD - Build Thread ~ 1995 Laguna Turbo 281whp *SOLD - Build Thread ~ 1992 Black & Tan *SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by CMP View Post
                    Top up but doors unlocked in the parking deck of my old apartment complex in Dunwoody: http://www.mx5atlanta.com/forums/sho...261#post217261
                    Same type of thing, top up, doors locked (I park in downtown parking garage). Found the ashtray insert over in the corner of the deck with the change missing. Only reason I would consider an NC is the folding hardtop.
                    2009 GT Competition Yellow - The Short Bus

Comment

Someone stole my iPod out of the car once. Top up doors unlocked
                      The only thing that oughta be hella flushed is a toilet.
                      http://www.miataramblings.blogspot.com

Comment

I never lock a convertible, and if it isn't expected to rain, I leave the top down. Never put any good stereo equipment in either, it's just wasted in a miata (I'd rather listen to the exhaust note).
                        Red '91, MSM longblock/BEGI-FM hybrid turbo w/2871r/3"Enthuza/Hydra2.7/700cc/Ohlins/
                        RacingBrake11"BBK/SS HDDD/Nakamae everything/KGWorks/Zoom/We're done!

Comment

I've had my top cut and and my 80 dollar head unit stolen. Now even if I have the top up I leave the doors unlocked. Cheaper to replace the radio than the top.

Comment

When I had my NA, I often left top down when parked, kept nothing of value in the car, luckily nothing ever taken. I'd leave my cap over the Momo shift knob...Nothing of value kept in the NC either, but since the soft top is 10,000,000 times easier to raise and lower, the top goes up when parked simply because it protects the interior from excess sun/heat damage. I have the remote locking for the trunk turned off, so if anyone ever gets inside the car they won't get in the trunk easily...
                            06 True Red Touring - Eibach Springs & Sways - Koni Sports - Enthuzacar NC Cruiser Exhaust - Auto Exe wheel & shift knob - '13 Club Edition seats - Hella Supertones - a Protege5 used as the daily backpack.

Comment

I never had anything stolen but the very first car meet I took my MSM to someone flicked their cigarette butt into my car. :mad::mad:
                              2012 Acura TSX Sportwagon
                              2001 NB track car that never gets driven

Comment

Working...
                              X