Decal help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decal help

Hi all first time post, met a few of you at last months meet! I am thinking of doing a decal in black, the photos I have is a red Miata with white, would like to know opinions. Also, should I have this made at a vinyl graphics shop or have a wrap shop do the decal? Not sure how I should go about getting the decal on. Putting this on the white soft top.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Rabidpug; 07-08-2017, 07:47 PM.

I'd pass on doing such a AC Cobra style stripe on a ND
    Instead of being part of the problem, why not be a part of a successful solution

Comment

Personally, I've always been a fan of a a single thick stripe, with a smaller stripe running along it. Like so
      sigpic

Comment

I personally like the side decals better myself 00909_7yzEfElQza5_600x450.jpg

but at the end of the day its all about what YOU want and what YOU think looks awesome. I say if you want it then go for it and don't look back. Its not like their hard to remove if you don't end up liking it anyways.
        1997 mx-5

Comment

Thank you all for the responses. That single stripe idea down one side also looks really good, I'll have to do some thinking on that. I'd like to do something unique to make my Miata stand out from other NDs.

Comment

Man, I just went through an exercise with a close friend who wanted to put twin stripes on his Lava Orange MSM. I tried to talk him out of it, showed a few iterations to consider, but he did it anyways and it looks like a dated, Pepboys special.

It's a modern car, not an AC cobra. Look at some of the graphics Mazda adds to their concept versions of later NCs and such. If you have to add graphics, study the lines on the car, consider something modern and fresh.

Stripes add a visual volume that just makes the car look heavier. I'm sure there's gonna be a number of NDs with single and twin stripes on them at MAtG for you to gawk at too. :)

Comment

If you want to know or tell the vinyl shop what to do, try buying some painters tape, fine line tape, and try laying out some ideas on the car, not the widths and spacing, take pictures, and share it with them when you have one or two you like. I can do photo realistic renders at $100/pop. Alternatively, look for orthographic views of the ND online, print them out and sketch on them to get an idea.

Comment

im also gonna kick the bee's nest for some people. but if you want it to be different you could always wrap it as well, cheap and will protect the paint
                1997 mx-5

Comment

Really good suggestions Kung fu, I think I'll try to lay out some ideas on the car before I proceed. I agree I defiantly do not want to put a dated look on the car. As for wrapping the whole thing, that's being saved for the RF so can't do that one lol

Comment

Originally posted by Rabidpug View Post
                    Really good suggestions Kung fu, I think I'll try to lay out some ideas on the car before I proceed. I agree I defiantly do not want to put a dated look on the car. As for wrapping the whole thing, that's being saved for the RF so can't do that one lol
                    I can agree that stripes are a dated look... Why not wrap both the ND soft top and RF? They offer more than one wrap color!

Or there's always the flying eyebrow look from the race cars, though i personally am not a fan.:

P1J12839s_pd-600x400.jpg

It sorta looks like this character from Star Wars:

Last edited by LagunaRoadster; 07-10-2017, 08:08 PM.

2013 NC MX5 Club - Build Thread ~ 2017 VW Golf R ~ IG: DroptopDestron
                    1997 M *SOLD - Build Thread ~ 1995 Laguna Turbo 281whp *SOLD - Build Thread ~ 1992 Black & Tan *SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by Rabidpug View Post
                      could just go for a partial wrap and do something like just your hood and trunk or something like that, with a white car you can come up with all sorts of great combos.
                      1997 mx-5

Comment

Agreed that parallel Cobra-style stripes aren't the way to go w/a modern design like the ND. As others mention, try to work with graphics that complement the design, rather than just being tacked-on, and try to not over-think or over-design it; less is more much of the time. There are countless directions you can go, but here's a modern example of a style that could work on your ND. Not saying the Brumos colors are what you want, but the general style (with or without a center split, with or without a pinstripe, with or without side graphics). The ND Cup over-fender graphics are cool, but they really only look appropriate on a real race car w/other graphics as part of the livery. This is Hurley Haywood's Brumos 918 Spyder. I think it's pretty cool. Notice the hood stripes don't go all the way to the nose, nor the front splitter. On an ND ending the stripe above the grille would look best.

06 True Red Touring - Eibach Springs & Sways - Koni Sports - Enthuzacar NC Cruiser Exhaust - Auto Exe wheel & shift knob - '13 Club Edition seats - Hella Supertones - a Protege5 used as the daily backpack.

Comment

I own a sign shop in Gainesville and would be happy to talk to you about your project.
                          Danny Pittman
                          MX5-93P

Comment

Thank you all for the responses, I have been looking at some modern ferraris for insperation. What do you think about something similar to these photos? With the way the hood slopes down im trying to avoid anything that strays toward the outer edges as I feel it may just make a decal look warped.

also thank you for the offer Danny, I'll reach out once I'm ready to pull the trigger haha.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Rabidpug; 07-18-2017, 12:12 PM.

Comment

The single stripe w/an outline like the second example is better than a dual stripes on the first example to my eyes. It's very similar to another favorite of mine, the 599 GTO; partly because it looks more factory-tailored than custom, like the first example.

Or something like this from the F12 TDF :

Both taper quite a bit towards the nose, and get wider closer to the windshield, which will look more natural on the ND.
                              06 True Red Touring - Eibach Springs & Sways - Koni Sports - Enthuzacar NC Cruiser Exhaust - Auto Exe wheel & shift knob - '13 Club Edition seats - Hella Supertones - a Protege5 used as the daily backpack.

Comment

Working...
                              X