Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sleep Deprived = Epic Fail

Ok,
    Sleep deprived here, got the bright idea to replace dead battery.
    It only took about 3 hours to get it out, 30 minutes to purchase new one.
    At this point :eek::o insert epic fail, I failed to take a picture before I started.
    I never changed the battery before, my son did that.
    Son is now somewhere incountry with lots of sand.

Got the battery sitting in the tray, but for the devil can't figure out to put the
    brace back on. I'm generally a whiz at puzzles but I'm clueless about the brace and holder.
    Thoughts? Pictures of your battery?

taking my mortified, sleep depraved self to the pillows.
    Tomorrow is another day,crazy Mom here.
    oh, 93 Miata

There's a video on youtube for everything. And the big thing here is to make sure you don't arc anything metallic between the positive terminal and anything else, or you'll get a nice big spark. 14 minute video, he starts playing with the bracket at 10 minutes - with some bad camera framing, but there's a series of 3 holes that you insert the pokey bit in to. He's also using a slightly taller battery than stock - that's why he needs the longer j-hook.
    Last edited by iscariot; 03-16-2017, 12:35 AM.

Comment

Are you a poet?
      sigpic
      No matter how many friends you think you have, the size of your funeral will depend on the weather.
      Originally posted by sharkythesharkdogg
      I don't want some dude's balls on my neck while I'm yelling at some Vietnamese guy.

Comment

Originally posted by iscariot View Post
        the big thing here is to make sure you don't arc anything metallic between the positive terminal and anything else, or you'll get a nice big spark.
        Or worse, yes. Definitely be mindful of this. In most cars it's never an issue, but it's so tight back there in the fender that it's pretty easy when swinging a wrench or ratchet to hit the positive terminal while touching the chassis via the tool on the nut (ie: ground), and do some accidental welding. This is the only car I've done that on in a similar state to yours. Sleep deprived in the near-dark trying to get back up and running. BZZT. Oops.
        ~Andrew
        Atlanta Region SCCA
        D Prepared Miata

Comment

Come to Road Atlanta tomorrow (Friday) for the JustTrackIt / NASA practice event and there will be like 50 dudes who can do it or show you how. They're doing lunch time touring laps at noon if you want to drive on track (moderate speed, paced laps).
          Last edited by ben91; 03-16-2017, 12:56 PM.
          DIYAutoTune.com

| 10AE-T | BEGi S4 | GT2560r | Enthuza | 6UL | MS3Pro PNP|
          | 2001 Track Rat | Enthuza | Jenvey | MS3Pro PNP | Exocet in Progress|
          | 1992 323 | Wrong-wheel-drive Miata Endurance Racecar|

Comment

A little sleep, trunk pretzel moves, big glass of ice tea, music playing and my patience locked and loaded she's in!
            Thank you, thank you!

Anybody remember THAT test that your teacher gave you, instructed you 3 times to read ALL the directions FIRST then proceed?
            Last line of directions? do not answer any questions, turn in NOW.

Well, I missed the part about, positive, BZZT and plastic caps. Native american stick straight hair now has a few curls.

Throw everything down, reread to the very end, watch video 3 times on laptop and I'm set. I put laptop on roof, had my Nasty Feet Engineer biker boots on--Police motorcycle style. Remembered the metal, took those off, put rain boots on, grabbed rubber gardening gloves, hair tied back, and I'm set!

Head in, body in pretzel mode and I've got this!
            Neighbor who's been watching my acrobatic act for past 30 minutes, decides to zip over and says Hey you need any help?
            He scared me to death, I bumped my head, untangle myself from the trunk, laptop hits the ground, eyeballs get whiplash and then alarm starts going off. Had to slap my nice face on--Why thank you for asking, but I think she's set.
            Where was he the OTHER day?

Oh well, she's running! Tomorrow I'm going to find a sound shop, have them check the cables and system. RTFM online, touched every wire and still no sound. She needs her music.

Many thanks to those who replied!
            The new battery is a little taller, so the brace fits a little differently but its in there.

Comment

Beast, me a poet?

Comment

This is one of the more entertaining threads I've seen on here in a while.
                Chris and Lola

Comment

I like to think this should be read in the slam poetry style.
                  sigpic
                  No matter how many friends you think you have, the size of your funeral will depend on the weather.
                  Originally posted by sharkythesharkdogg
                  I don't want some dude's balls on my neck while I'm yelling at some Vietnamese guy.

Comment

If you temporarily arced the battery terminals or wired them up backwards and have no radio/dash gauges/etc, you can try the 15 amp cigar fuse.

The fuse panel is located on the driver's side, down near the clutch pedal. Just stick your head under the dash and look to your left.
                    Originally posted by Beastinthebushes
                    Do lots and lots of reading and research. Lots of vendors sell suspension, not just FM.

Comment

Working...
                    X