Machine shop recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Machine shop recommendations

I'm putting together a trackday motor for my racecar.
    I already have a set of .25mm over pistons and rings.
    And a built head

I tried buying a used core motor off a member here.
    It was supposed to be a good running engine.
    It was so rusted that the cylinder walls are scrap, so I'm starting over.

Any recommendations on shops to bore another block?
    Right now I am thinking I will strip my original 1.6 from the car.
    I was going to sell it as a good running 124k motor, but the market seems that is not worth much.

Talk to Track Minded Performance(Tougemiata, aka Mike) he's got a shop that does a great job and has done work on several members cars here.

Comment

I can tell you where NOT to go.
      1991 with Kenne Bell Supercharged 5.0 Ford conversion/ 382whp/376tq

Comment

Wills Machine Shop down in Chamblee has been pretty good so far.
        Reasonable prices and they've been working well with me to get my situation figured out.
        They do a lot of chevy big block and small block stuff, but have experience with Miata engines too.
        Overall, good guys that want to do things the right way.

Comment

Originally posted by DanBrown View Post
          Reasonable prices and they've been working well with me to get my situation figured out.
          They do a lot of chevy big block and small block stuff, but have experience with Miata engines too.
          Funny, that was actually the next place I had heard about I was going to try.
          Thanks for the info!

Comment

http://www.mx5atlanta.com/forums/sho...E-rebuild-shop

Comment

Interesting, but it does read like they wanted no part in anything but he machining work.
              I just need the block bored, I am assembling the engine.

Comment

Goza in Acworth does excellent work.

Address: 4391 S Main St, Acworth, GA 30101

Phone: (770) 974-2088

2013 NC MX5 Club - Build Thread ~ 2017 VW Golf R ~ IG: DroptopDestron
                1997 M *SOLD - Build Thread ~ 1995 Laguna Turbo 281whp *SOLD - Build Thread ~ 1992 Black & Tan *SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by DanBrown View Post
                  +1 for Wills. They've done some head work and reground a crank for me - good guys, fair prices.

Comment

Will's Machine is Chamblee would be my #1. Ball in Lawrenceville #2.
                    DIYAutoTune.com

| 10AE-T | BEGi S4 | GT2560r | Enthuza | 6UL | MS3Pro PNP|
                    | 2001 Track Rat | Enthuza | Jenvey | MS3Pro PNP | Exocet in Progress|
                    | 1992 323 | Wrong-wheel-drive Miata Endurance Racecar|

Comment

Originally posted by LagunaRoadster View Post
                      Goza in Acworth does excellent work.

Address: 4391 S Main St, Acworth, GA 30101

Phone: (770) 974-2088
                      Since when? When I worked for Isuzu, everything that we sent him came back wrong. They also destroyed a set of BBC heads that I took to them. By far the worst machine shop that I have ever used, and I have used a lot.
                      1991 with Kenne Bell Supercharged 5.0 Ford conversion/ 382whp/376tq

Comment

Originally posted by tbone heller View Post
                        Since when? When I worked for Isuzu, everything that we sent him came back wrong. They also destroyed a set of BBC heads that I took to them. By far the worst machine shop that I have ever used, and I have used a lot.
                        Maybe things have changed. I had him do some work on my 95 Miata motor, and it came out great, but that was a few years ago.

2013 NC MX5 Club - Build Thread ~ 2017 VW Golf R ~ IG: DroptopDestron
                        1997 M *SOLD - Build Thread ~ 1995 Laguna Turbo 281whp *SOLD - Build Thread ~ 1992 Black & Tan *SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by tbone heller View Post
                          I also did not have a great experience with them. I took an axle froze in hub to them and explained how to press it out without breaking the hub. I had already done one at a friends house, but I was pressed for time so I took it to Goza. The first thing they did was not listen to what I said and immediately broke an upright off the hub. They guy behind the counter went "well I guess we won't charge you for it then".

Comment

I would not use Will's again. They were probably good "back in the day", but I would talk to Mazda-specific shops to see who they recommend for machine work.

Comment

I have a free block if you want it. 1.6 it was rebuild with ~1000 miles on it. Just the block.

Comment

Working...
                              X