thoughts on a miata upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thoughts on a miata upgrade

Well I have loved my 97 NA for years but I constantly keep finding myself looking for something newer and a bit quicker so in my search I stumbled upon this 2004 msm that looks to be in great shape and wondered if I could get a few of the wiser folks thoughts on it. I've talked him down some to what I would think is a fair price but what would everyones thoughts on value be for something like this? the carfax is clean with no accidents or anything strange, it also has had a good bit of maintenance done including the timing belt and water pump already. I have plans to use this as my daily for the next couple of years while enjoying some track days on the weekends. Any thoughts and opinions would be greatly appreciated.

http://greenville.craigslist.org/cto/5959458149.html
    Last edited by Shwing; 01-30-2017, 11:39 AM.
    1997 mx-5

MSM isn't really all that great to drive with stock downpipe/exhaust and stock ECU. Expect to put an ECU, injectors, and a full exhaust on it out the gate. Possibly a fuel pump, too. They're a pretty fun 200 hp car then.

If you're in the market for a $10k turbo Miata, I have a (much) better setup car that you might be interested in.
    DIYAutoTune.com

| 10AE-T | BEGi S4 | GT2560r | Enthuza | 6UL | MS3Pro PNP|
    | 2001 Track Rat | Enthuza | Jenvey | MS3Pro PNP | Exocet in Progress|
    | 1992 323 | Wrong-wheel-drive Miata Endurance Racecar|

Comment

Originally posted by ben91 View Post
      MSM isn't really all that great to drive with stock downpipe/exhaust and stock ECU. Expect to put an ECU, injectors, and a full exhaust on it out the gate. Possibly a fuel pump, too. They're a pretty fun 200 hp car then.

If you're in the market for a $10k turbo Miata, I have a (much) better setup car that you might be interested in.
      I could possibly be swayed so feel free to offer though i'll acutally be getting this one much closer to 8k. I've also heard about the ecu issues in these before so I kinda had it planned on swapping it if I did go this route
      1997 mx-5

Comment

Good mileage and some good mods(but those typically don't add to the resale value). Even at $8k with the new clutch and O2 it's just a bit over the Atlanta price for a comperable car. $6500 or so seems to be the sweet spot, but those are usually 100k+ mile cars. Did you Carfax it?
        David Luney - Suwanee GA
        [email protected]
        04 RX-8, 10 Black MS3, 08 Red MS3, 06 550i, 05 325i 92 Spec Miata and a parts car or two.

Comment

Originally posted by miatastuff View Post
          Good mileage and some good mods(but those typically don't add to the resale value). Even at $8k with the new clutch and O2 it's just a bit over the Atlanta price for a comperable car. $6500 or so seems to be the sweet spot, but those are usually 100k+ mile cars. Did you Carfax it?
          yah I tried looking for anything lower priced but they all seem to be over the 100k mark and im really trying to keep the millage as low as possible. I did get the carfax and its completely clean with no accidents or issues. its had regular maintenance done at a dealership and then around 5k miles ago they did the timing belt, water pump, and all that.
          1997 mx-5

Comment

Originally posted by Shwing View Post
            I could possibly be swayed so feel free to offer though i'll acutally be getting this one much closer to 8k. I've also heard about the ecu issues in these before so I kinda had it planned on swapping it if I did go this route
            99 10AE. I've owned it 10 years. About 100k on the clock
            Blue top is torn. I have another OE blue top to go with the car (not installed)
            BEGi S4 GT2560r turbo with many BEGi upgrades. The invoice from BEGi was $7500.
            Bell intercooler
            Stainless downpipe
            Very custom exhaust by Enthuza (very bad ***, sounds amazing)
            MSPNP-Pro ECU
            RC 550 cc injectors
            ACT clutch
            Hard dog roll bar
            6UL Gen IV with 225 RS3 tires
            Tein Flex
            FM sway bars
            Mazdaspeed brakes
            2001 style headlights with HID
            Momo wheel
            Aluminum radiator, I forget the brand
            MANY other upgrades.

Car was in a couple magazines and was in a national TV commercial. Doesn't add value, but it's cool. Don't need to sell, but I have 3 2-seater cars and a family, so it gets driven rarely. It will cost you a little more upfront than the MSM, but it's a lot more car.
            DIYAutoTune.com

| 10AE-T | BEGi S4 | GT2560r | Enthuza | 6UL | MS3Pro PNP|
            | 2001 Track Rat | Enthuza | Jenvey | MS3Pro PNP | Exocet in Progress|
            | 1992 323 | Wrong-wheel-drive Miata Endurance Racecar|

Comment

Bell intercooler
              Stainless downpipe
              MSPNP-Pro ECU
              RC 550 cc injectors
              ACT clutch
              Hard dog roll bar
              Tein Flex
              FM sway bars
              Mazdaspeed brakes
              Momo wheel
              MANY other upgrades.

Car was in a couple magazines and was in a national TV commercial. Doesn't add value, but it's cool. Don't need to sell, but I have 3 2-seater cars and a family, so it gets driven rarely. It will cost you a little more upfront than the MSM, but it's a lot more car.
              that sounds pretty awesome and damn quick but also out of my range currently. im trying to keep it as close to 8 as possible. with this one im not going to be trying to build the fastest thing out there as its going to be my DD and will for sure see some traffic. i'd just like to mod it a little to make it a little more "mine" if i go this route. I thought about just grabbing a really low millage nb and turboing it but after its all said and done i think i'd be in at about the same cost
              1997 mx-5

Comment

Originally posted by miatastuff View Post
                what do you think a fair price would be with the millage and clean car fax? im going to try to talk him down a bit more when I see him but not sure if that will happen or not though I do know it comes with the original parts so I may also be able to recoup some funds that way
                1997 mx-5

Comment

we'll i'll be headed out to check it out and if everything looks good pick it up sat morning. anyone know of anything really particular to look out for on these msm outside of what to normally look for on an nb?
                  1997 mx-5

Comment

Bell intercooler
                    Stainless downpipe
                    MSPNP-Pro ECU
                    RC 550 cc injectors
                    ACT clutch
                    Hard dog roll bar
                    Tein Flex
                    FM sway bars
                    Mazdaspeed brakes
                    Momo wheel
                    MANY other upgrades.

This car is beautiful. Worth every penny of $10k. Better value than an MSM, IMO.

Wanna trade for your old car with a beast NA engine and Prius? lol.
                    The only thing that oughta be hella flushed is a toilet.
                    http://www.miataramblings.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by Stealth97 View Post
                      This car is beautiful. Worth every penny of $10k. Better value than an MSM, IMO.

Wanna trade for your old car with a beast NA engine and Prius? lol.
                      yah it sounds like an awesome car but again just out of my budget :(
                      1997 mx-5

Comment

but again if anyone has some good advice on what too be on the look out for in particular with these guys I would highly appreciate any feedback. on other news I got to trade my old one for a nice BCM ar with cash on top so now I have an excuse to get back to the range this weekend :clap:
                        1997 mx-5

Comment

:( got to continue looking, couldnt tell in pictures but looked like half panels had been resprayed and paint on hood and trunk was pretty toast so not worth the whole new paint job
                          1997 mx-5

Comment

Here yo go. This one looks much cleaner and appears to be very well maintained. Hell, I'm tempted to go get it. Check it out.

https://charlotte.craigslist.org/cto/5979960043.html
                            - Lee -
                            '13 Liquid Silver Metallic Club PRHT | SOLD!
                            '06 Sunlight Silver Touring | Mazdaspeed springs & sways | SOLD!

Comment

im just gonna try to take my time finding the right car. im thankfully in no real rush as my other one runs fine im just wanting something nicer before summer
                              1997 mx-5

Comment

Working...
                              X