lightweight flywheel or no?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lightweight flywheel or no?

Hi. I recently purchased a 2003 NB Base with 5 speed and LSD. It needs a clutch. I bought it to play around with it - it's not my daily driver. I may autocross it and the occasional track day, but mostly just spirited street driving. I have no current plans to add turbo or SC.

I'm debating whether to add a lightweight flywheel when I do the clutch. I've read many conflicting views on LW FW's - from "it's the best mod I've done" to "it turned the car into a PITA to drive on the street."

I'm in the Cumming/Alpharetta area. Anyone close by who runs a LW FW? I'd love to come take a ride and see for myself before making the decision. Thanks!

Worst mod ever. Stalled thearevery time I drove it. Would never do again.
    Red '91, MSM longblock/BEGI-FM hybrid turbo w/2871r/3"Enthuza/Hydra2.7/700cc/Ohlins/
    RacingBrake11"BBK/SS HDDD/Nakamae everything/KGWorks/Zoom/We're done!

Comment

The 03 already has a pretty light flywheel, 18# iirc? If you stay around 13# it is drivable on the street. Not worth it IMO.
      92 Italia "Competizione Speciale". 91 BRG, '69 Corvette "Mojo". '14 F150 Coyote 5.0. Looking for something blue.

Comment

And technically if you are autocrossing in a stock class, then not legal. Just never publish your real name on the forum or pictures.
        David Luney - Suwanee GA
        [email protected]
        04 RX-8, 10 Black MS3, 08 Red MS3, 06 550i, 05 325i 92 Spec Miata and a parts car or two.

Comment

Best mod for the buck. As mentioned above, stay above 10# for driveability. A lighter flywheel makes the engine more lively and is really engaging while shifting up and down while driving spiritedly.

Comment

Thx for the replies. Similar to what I've read elsewhere, responses go from "best mod ever" to "worst mod ever."

Oldgrayfrog- what weight FL and clutch were you running?

Kung_fu_Jeses - same question.

Thx!

Comment

I ran an 8# flywheel for 7 years with an ACT extreme PP/clutch. Great fun, a bit tiresome in LA stop and go traffic. The gear lash could be too. Moved to a 12# chromoly FW for safety concerns with an ACT HD clutch and it was just as entertaining, but more civilized for day-to-day. I've had a LWFW for so long that when I drive a Miata without one, that car feels clumsy and slow.

Comment

3rd favorite mod ever!(1.foamectomy 2. Better exhaust)
                13lb lightened stocker with a lighter weight clutch, Exedy if I recall.
                In your shoes, I would get a stage one happy meal from Flyin Miata, best overall deal. But, I'm biased;-)
                Greg
                I make Stuff....shiny,Metal Stuff.

Comment

Eight pounds I think. Horrible.
                  Red '91, MSM longblock/BEGI-FM hybrid turbo w/2871r/3"Enthuza/Hydra2.7/700cc/Ohlins/
                  RacingBrake11"BBK/SS HDDD/Nakamae everything/KGWorks/Zoom/We're done!

Comment

I'll be going 8# flywheel whenever my clutch dies. 106k miles and the stock clutch is holding up great.
                    2007 True Red Miata

Comment

8# might be a bit too light. I don't know what the NB flywheel weighs, but the 1.6 stocker is 18 lbs, which is about the opposite end of the spectrum. The one I have on the race car weighs 5 lb 12 oz (the full flywheel, clutch pack & pressure plate are 4 lb lighter than the stock flywheel alone) :lol:
                      That's probably way further than you'd want to go on a street car. But: MAN does taking rotational mass, and reducing the moment of inertia on such a heavy driveline piece makes a massive difference and really wakes the car up.

I had something mid-weight (can't remember what off hand) on my Protege. Makes a great mod for a low HP street car, so long as you don't go too far with it.
                      ~Andrew
                      Atlanta Region SCCA
                      D Prepared Miata

Comment

I went with a 13 pound flywheel for my swap.

Comment

Originally posted by 91LudeSiT View Post
                          I went with a 13 pound flywheel for my swap.
                          How do you like it? Which FW and clutch? Thx.

Comment

Originally posted by Chp5 View Post
                            How do you like it? Which FW and clutch? Thx.
                            Dunno yet, swap isn't completed and no clue on the clutch I let Track Minded Performance pick it for me. When I find out and drive the car I'll let you know.

The flywheel was used, but I believe it may be an FM unit.

Comment

Amaff- what setup are you running? Sounds interesting..
                              91Lude- do you have photo of set up?
                              Greg
                              I make Stuff....shiny,Metal Stuff.

Comment

Working...
                              X