Good locksmith?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good locksmith?

I bought a key and got my key code from the Mazda dealer today...but they wouldn't cut it from the code. So I went to Clarke County Locksmith off Broad ST...and they want $45 to cut the key with my code. That to me sounds pretty ridiculous...

Who knows of a place in Athens or whatnot that will cut my new key with the code for less than that?

Thanks.
    1997 Nissan Maxima SE - Manual.. V6.. 0-60 in..6.6 seconds? WTFM8?!

1986 Mazda RX-7 GXL - Lightened, Epi-penned, and quick.

Did you ask the dealer to cut a key by VIN? I've had that done many times. You just have to proove ownership.

The other option (you have a blank already?) is to take your original key and blank key to home depot and they will cut it for you. Probably won't charge either.
    DIYAutoTune.com

| 10AE-T | BEGi S4 | GT2560r | Enthuza | 6UL | MS3Pro PNP|
    | 2001 Track Rat | Enthuza | Jenvey | MS3Pro PNP | Exocet in Progress|
    | 1992 323 | Wrong-wheel-drive Miata Endurance Racecar|

Comment

The key I have hardly works. The one I got with the car is a valet key, and I had another key blank from my local tool store cut which only improved the situation *slightly*. The first key is very, very worn out and slightly bent, so I don't want to have my $10 Mazda key cut from either of the crappy valet keys that I have.

Yes, of course I asked the dealer to cut me the new key from my VIN with the key code...had a decent argument with the jerkface too because he claimed they didn't carry records far enough back to cover my car. I ended up silently farting and walking off after arguing with the *******. lol

Comment

uhm, so you bought a blank from a vendor, then brought it to the dealer and asked him to cut it for you? i don't blame him for telling you to GTFO then... not worth his time.

i've bought keys for 3 or 4 of my miatas from mazda dealers, never had an issue. last one I got was actually 2 weeks ago, $12.
        DIYAutoTune.com

Comment

No... I bought the key from the dealer and asked him to cut it for me with my vin number. I'm not an idiot...

I had to argue with him just to get the file pulled...it's ridiculous that people treat me like a dumbass because it's just a tiny bit obvious I'm more gay than my talents suggest. ;) Sucks for them when they discover I know more than they do. Brilliant!

Baaack on topic though. Does anyone have any hookups with any locksmiths so I can get this new key cut from my code? I'm tired of putting my key in the lock or the ignition to find out I've inserted it upside down from how it'll actually work. heh..

Comment

got ya. no reason why he couldn't cut it by VIN. what a d-bag.
            try another dealer.
            DIYAutoTune.com

Comment

Funny thing is I could see the key cutting station from where I was standing..

Comment

Prolly a good ole boy being a good ole boy and not servin "your kind". ;)
                I got my key cut in Athens.
                91 BRG #3240
                Have you ever seen a guy driving a Mazda Miata and thought, “man, I wish that was me!”? Neither have I.
                Aside from the fact that this car screams “I’m fabulous!” from every angle, this car was made for the guy who wants to drive down the coast with his new scarf from Wal Mart flapping in the breeze. If you own a Miata you're one of three things: in the closet, a woman, or a ******bag.

Comment

Where in Athens and for how much?

Comment

Athens Mazda. I'm not sure, prolly 2 years ago. Gainesville Mazda should be able to do it too.
                    91 BRG #3240
                    Have you ever seen a guy driving a Mazda Miata and thought, “man, I wish that was me!”? Neither have I.
                    Aside from the fact that this car screams “I’m fabulous!” from every angle, this car was made for the guy who wants to drive down the coast with his new scarf from Wal Mart flapping in the breeze. If you own a Miata you're one of three things: in the closet, a woman, or a ******bag.

Comment

Athens Mazda is now Akins Mazda/Ford...they moved and their service department was a lot nicer back before they moved...it's a bunch of jerks now. I'll probably call MOG Mazda and see. But more suggestions would be great too.

Comment

I brought my own blank and had it VIN cut at the Mazda down the street from R*Speed with my title in hand, no issues whatsoever.

2013 NC MX5 Club - Build Thread ~ 2017 VW Golf R ~ IG: DroptopDestron
                        1997 M *SOLD - Build Thread ~ 1995 Laguna Turbo 281whp *SOLD - Build Thread ~ 1992 Black & Tan *SOLD

Comment

Yeah, never had any issues with the dealer up the street from us. Hell, I take customer cars up there all the time to get spares made.
                          ITBs RULE!!!!!!!!!! AGAIN!!!
                          I'm using ITBs on stock internals!!
                          sigpic
                          Chean Chay: they dont have pho in mexico
                          Corporation: n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility.
                          -Ambrose Bierce
                          here's the thing. if you disagree with someone's opinion, having better hair does not make you right. it makes you a ******bag.

Comment

Originally posted by Acesanugal View Post
                            Athens Mazda is now Akins Mazda/Ford...they moved and their service department was a lot nicer back before they moved...it's a bunch of jerks now. I'll probably call MOG Mazda and see. But more suggestions would be great too.

I had great service from the guys at MOG mazda. If I was you I would try going back to the mazda dealership at a different time and see if you can find someone else. Say you bought the key from them but didn't have any proof of ownership(make sure you have your proof with you) and see if they will cut the key.

I am betting someone was just a jacka$$ and didn't want to do the work or had something against you.

I know I had a key cut from the MOG Mazda a year or two ago and they didn't even ask for my proof of ownership. They just cut the key via the VIN and then used my key I already had to check it against.
                            1988 323 GTX--- The toy now :D
                            2008 Mazdaspeed 3::SOLD ----- 1991 BRG NA8 Swap, Turbo::SOLD

Comment

How much did they charge you to cut the key?

Comment

Working...
                              X