de-powered rack owners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• de-powered rack owners

When my motor was out I depowered my steering rack the FM way. I think my linkages may be binding now because it's REALLY damn hard to turn the wheel even when the car's moving.

How much force should it require to turn the car once it's moving?

not too much. did you drain the rack? its against my personal judgment to drain it because the fluid is a lubricant for the gears, but it may relieve some pressure from the steering.
    DIE WHITE GIRLS

Comment

I de-powered mine the "loop-the-lines" way, and drained most of the fluid. It's sometimes tough at real low speeds like a parking lot (esp. if I neglect my tire pressures), but quite nice at normal speeds.
      93LE | 9psi | 16g turbo | MSPNP w/ IAT, EBC, vTPS, HR10g | 11"x12"x3" core FMIC
      R-pkg Bilsteins | 300f/220r 2.5" springs | FCM sleeves/perches/mounts/bumps | frame rail reinf.
      4.10 Torsen | 2¼" Maganflow cat & ebay exhaust | Mishimoto rad

Comment

I drained the rack and removed the seals and then I slapped grease all over the bar. I know the tire pressures are low. I guess I'll check that :)

Comment

Looping lines, seals, grease and procedures? Bah you guys are making it too complicated. When I did it, I just cut the lines and pointed them down and let the excess fluid run itself out of the system.

Comment

Camber, caster and tire pressures have a lot to do with steering effort and low or no speed for sure.
            | 90 Miata | Turbocharged Stock Mazda FE-dohc 2.0L engine swap | 302whp 281ftlbs |

Comment

Originally posted by Doppelgänger View Post
              Looping lines, seals, grease and procedures? Bah you guys are making it too complicated. When I did it, I just cut the lines and pointed them down and let the excess fluid run itself out of the system.
              the only problem with this is that there is no lubricant for the gear/rack, so it can cause the rack to wear out pretty quickly. at OPM, we just loop the lines and leave fluid in it.
              DIE WHITE GIRLS

Comment

how much weight can be saved by talking the power steering out? And would putting in a manual rack save a little more?
                '95 w/ now finished '99 swap, kyb agx's, flyin miata springs, sway bars, roll bar and more to come...sigpic

Comment

Yeah I highly recommend leaving some fluid, DO NOT do Mikes way lol.

Comment

Originally posted by mustangtomiata View Post
                    how much weight can be saved by talking the power steering out? And would putting in a manual rack save a little more?
                    maybe like 20lbs? the biggest benefit is the road feel.

manual racks are good, but have a slightly longer steering ratio.
                    DIE WHITE GIRLS

Comment

Originally posted by jesseealexander View Post
                      maybe like 20lbs? the biggest benefit is the road feel.

manual racks are good, but have a slightly longer steering ratio.
                      I can attest to this from a little spirited mountain run with Mike and a few others a long while back. Compared to mikes car, I was fighting turn in with the manual rack. I've thought about putting in the power steering rack just for these issues.

Comment

Yeah I have both a manual rack and a de-powered power rack, the power one feels better.

Comment

Originally posted by simontibbett View Post
                          Yeah I have both a manual rack and a de-powered power rack, the power one feels better.
                          I totally agree with ya on that one!

Comment

i had my ps belt disconnected one day, and even with all of the fluid in it, it was butta once it was past 3mph
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jesseealexander View Post
                              the only problem with this is that there is no lubricant for the gear/rack, so it can cause the rack to wear out pretty quickly. at OPM, we just loop the lines and leave fluid in it.
                              I never said I drained all of the fluid out, I just let it purge the excess fluid on it's own and i'm sure there was plenty left in it for lubrication. I could have probably gone to homedepot and bought a small piece of pipe and looped it off, but I didn't care at the time and drove with it for a couple of years with no problems :dunoo:

Comment

Working...
                              X