Weird Idle Question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird Idle Question...

So I have noticed sometimes when I already have the engine warmed up and I turn it off to go in the gas station, or anything for a few minutes and come back out to start the car, it starts fine, but has a weird idle on occasion. It sounds like it bogs down really low, but once I get out of the parking lot and give it some gas, it smooths out. Any clue what I should have looked at? Could the plugs and wires need replaced? Sometimes when I am at a red light, it will have a little difference in the idle (typically my riders don't notice it, but I do) where it will go up and down a tiny bit.

Any help is greatly appreciated. She's a '96 with almost 90k miles on her.
    sigpic
    '01 SE

Is the AC compressor on by any chance? Lol, sounds obvious but it kind of fits the bill.

Comment

Not usually. It has more of an obvious change with the heat on, but it still does it with everything off as well, just not as bad.
      sigpic
      '01 SE

Comment

The cooling fans kicking on will cause a slight idle fluctuation. Otherwise, I dunno. Hopefully someone with another theory will chime in.

Comment

I've noticed the same situation with mine...I've also noticed it does it whenever something is swithed on like lights, wipers, etc. My personal belief is mazda didn't put a good enough electrical system together to handle all the gadgets running the engine...or it could just be the idle air control valve.
          91 BRG #3240
          Have you ever seen a guy driving a Mazda Miata and thought, “man, I wish that was me!”? Neither have I.
          Aside from the fact that this car screams “I’m fabulous!” from every angle, this car was made for the guy who wants to drive down the coast with his new scarf from Wal Mart flapping in the breeze. If you own a Miata you're one of three things: in the closet, a woman, or a ******bag.

Comment

Working...
          X