Do it my self or take to shop.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do it my self or take to shop.

I've ordered that Flying Miata happy meal 1 clutch and flywheel kit. Just wondering if you think i should install it myself or would it be to much trouble and take it to a shop instead?
    same one here
    http://www.flyinmiata.com/index.php?...005%20%2010.30
    2000 Brilliant Black & tan: 1.9L Sr20 turbo with begi log manifold and SGDP--DIYPNP--ID1000s--Bilstien coilovers--MSW type 16 wheels--FM stage 1 clutch w/ 10.3lb flywheel

Good question. I'm about to need a new clutch, and if it's half as much a PITA as it was to replace the clutch on my 240...I'm payin someone to do it.
    1991 UK-spec MX-5 - https://www.facebook.com/djinovaband <<< METAL!

Comment

I know it would take me about 2 hours to change the clutch in my SE-R Sentra and thats FWD. I've always heard RWD is easier
      Kinda inherited the car from my Grandfather. Its a love hate relationship. lol

Comment

The worst thing about a clutch swap is working on jack stands under the car IF you dont have a lift. In terms of the actual job, I find the factory exhaust downpipe and related hardware to be the biggest nuisance. The whole job is a nuisance really. :lol:
        sigpic

Comment

Is it that hard to reach the bolts on the top of the bell housing? That was a huge PITA on my 240. I'm not too worried about disconnecting the exhaust and driveshaft.
          1991 UK-spec MX-5 - https://www.facebook.com/djinovaband <<< METAL!

Comment

Originally posted by MoD_Scotty View Post
            Is it that hard to reach the bolts on the top of the bell housing? That was a huge PITA on my 240. I'm not too worried about disconnecting the exhaust and driveshaft.
            It takes long extensions and swivel joints.
            The right side bracket for the clutch line and the starter area bolts are the worst of that going back on IMHO.

The exhaust flange may be more of a ***** then you think. The studs often strip or break.
            sigpic

Comment

Do it yourself, very easy, takes a couple of hours.

Comment

Try to find an air compressor and tools ,you can do it without these but it will take longer and the frustration level will be higher.Usually shops leave every thing loose Ive found.The few times Ive had mine in the shop its taken days getting everything right again
                I make Stuff....shiny,Metal Stuff.

Comment

Kurt is right, the downpipe flange is the worst part. Another thing i hated was the tranny/diff support brace. It was a pain in my ***.
                  sigpic

Comment

If you have a header it should be easier then ;)

Comment

Originally posted by simontibbett View Post
                      If you have a header it should be easier then ;)
                      This is true. In fact when I do a clutch now I take the oem manifold and downpipe right off the head in one piece, to avoid the exhaust flange and related bolt hassles.
                      sigpic

Comment

Straightforward job on a lift. Can't imagine attempting it with jackstands.

I think you should take it to a shop.
                        DIYAutoTune.com

| 10AE-T | BEGi S4 | GT2560r | Enthuza | 6UL | MS3Pro PNP|
                        | 2001 Track Rat | Enthuza | Jenvey | MS3Pro PNP | Exocet in Progress|
                        | 1992 323 | Wrong-wheel-drive Miata Endurance Racecar|

Comment

well i guess i should call around see how much a few shops would charge.
                          2000 Brilliant Black & tan: 1.9L Sr20 turbo with begi log manifold and SGDP--DIYPNP--ID1000s--Bilstien coilovers--MSW type 16 wheels--FM stage 1 clutch w/ 10.3lb flywheel

Comment

I bought some 6 ton jack stands to get it high enough and still be stable. Make sure you get a jack that can can lift high enough to take advantage of them. I bought a jack from harbor freight for $70 that can almost flip my car over on it's side.
                            I've done 3 clutches on the miatas now. The first time was most difficult because it wasn't high enough and the exhaust bolts were nicely rusted. I almost payed someone to do it the third time but it was so much easier being prepared and doing it myself.
                            2013 Whitout FR-S
                            1988 LS1 rx7 convertible
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ben91 View Post
                              Can't imagine attempting it with jackstands.
                              Thats the fun part. :D
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X