MSM Headlamp Bulb Sizes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MSM Headlamp Bulb Sizes

I had ordered LB an HID kit for her car for her birthday this past Wednesday and the kit came in last night.

Without her knowing what I was ordering, I had used Sylvania's bulb size chart as a reference as to what I needed to order. The site calls for a 9006 bulb for a 2005 Miata so that's what I ordered.

We get home last night and all excited to install the kit. Remove the passenger side low beam bulb to see that it's an H7, not a 9006. I thought I was crazy so I looked on Sylvania's website again and it does in fact call for a 9006. So I called Mike and he had confirmed that his car has 9006 bulbs as well. WTF?? At this time, LB had informed me that the 04-05 MSM headlamps use a different bulb size so we start doing some research and this is what I found.
    • Black 2005 MSM's use 9006's
    • Lava Orange 2005 MSM's use H7's

To make things even more odd, I called Eric to see what he though the bulb size was and he was referencing the bulb size they had ordered for Kris's (GVFanatic) car. He said his uses an H4B although they are the projector style lamps as well.

So lesson learned.....always check each car when buying bulbs! :p

Originally posted by MeFryRice View Post
    I had ordered LB an HID kit for her car for her birthday this past Wednesday and the kit came in last night.

Without her knowing what I was ordering, I had used Sylvania's bulb size chart as a reference as to what I needed to order. The site calls for a 9006 bulb for a 2005 Miata so that's what I ordered.

We get home last night and all excited to install the kit. Remove the passenger side low beam bulb to see that it's an H7, not a 9006. I thought I was crazy so I looked on Sylvania's website again and it does in fact call for a 9006. So I called Mike and he had confirmed that his car has 9006 bulbs as well. WTF?? At this time, LB had informed me that the 04-05 MSM headlamps use a different bulb size so we start doing some research and this is what I found.
    • Black 2005 MSM's use 9006's
    • Lava Orange 2005 MSM's use H7's

To make things even more odd, I called Eric to see what he though the bulb size was and he was referencing the bulb size they had ordered for Kris's (GVFanatic) car. He said his uses an H4B although they are the projector style lamps as well.

So lesson learned.....always check each car when buying bulbs! :p
    WTF same year car using two different style headlight blubs... :facepalm:
    1988 323 GTX--- The toy now :D
    2008 Mazdaspeed 3::SOLD ----- 1991 BRG NA8 Swap, Turbo::SOLD

Comment

there was a vin split in 04 manufacturing. all miatas built under the split 01-04 use the same bulb including msm. all miatas built after the split use a different bulb. mostly only mid to late prod 05.
      DIYAutoTune.com

| 10AE-T | BEGi S4 | GT2560r | Enthuza | 6UL | MS3Pro PNP|
      | 2001 Track Rat | Enthuza | Jenvey | MS3Pro PNP | Exocet in Progress|
      | 1992 323 | Wrong-wheel-drive Miata Endurance Racecar|

Comment

minor detail... I have 05 MSM headlights eventhough my car is a 02.

Comment

And how do you know what color your headlights were made for? Did you go out to the garage and look at mine?
          2005 Black Mica Mazdaspeed MX-5 - FM Intake - Enthuza Midpipe and Exhaust - FM DP - Hallman MBC - Upgraded Intercooler - Hard Dog Roll Bar - Volk TE37 - and then some...
          sigpic

Comment

you two related?

*off-topic...apologies
            Originally posted by VERY FLUSH
            Trust me.my education is far surpass other people

Comment

That would be.... odd.
              2005 Black Mica Mazdaspeed MX-5 - FM Intake - Enthuza Midpipe and Exhaust - FM DP - Hallman MBC - Upgraded Intercooler - Hard Dog Roll Bar - Volk TE37 - and then some...
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by zoomnorwegianzoom View Post
                you two related?

*off-topic...apologies
                haha... that would be sick and nasty. This isn't Bama:lol: We don't date family here sonny:biggrin:
                1988 323 GTX--- The toy now :D
                2008 Mazdaspeed 3::SOLD ----- 1991 BRG NA8 Swap, Turbo::SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by JennB View Post
                  That would be.... odd.
                  wtf, i meant as in married/coupled?
                  idk so i ask

Comment

No..when I ordered the headlights from MazMart, Paul told me there were two part numbers...we discussed the differences and ordered the later model version.

Comment

Originally posted by Doppelgänger View Post
                      No..when I ordered the headlights from MazMart, Paul told me there were two part numbers...we discussed the differences and ordered the later model version.
                      Yeah but Steve said the two colors in the same year had different bulbs....

Say hey to my car for me. I miss it. :(
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JennB View Post
                        Yeah but Steve said the two colors in the same year had different bulbs....

Say hey to my car for me. I miss it. :(
                        I drov ethe Ninja to work on Monday..might do so tomorrow. I was raining lastnight and I didn't want to get it dirty today..so I drove mine. I might take your car out for some pics though :D

Comment

Originally posted by ben91 View Post
                          there was a vin split in 04 manufacturing. all miatas built under the split 01-04 use the same bulb including msm. all miatas built after the split use a different bulb.
                          Not entirely the case. Some people with a MY05 have 9006's while other people with MY05 have H7's.

Comment

Originally posted by zoomnorwegianzoom View Post
                            wtf, i meant as in married/coupled?
                            idk so i ask
                            someone is obviously not with the program.

Comment

Originally posted by MeFryRice View Post
                              someone is obviously not with the program.
                              how am i not with the program?
                              im new here
                              i don't know any person except Eric

Comment

Working...
                              X