Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• best way to find top dead center

OK...

So I am starting to wonder if my timing is off on my motor. I remember reading a while back about how the timing marks were different on 1.8 which made me start to wonder if cause of my NA6 pulley was on a NB8 motor that maybe my timing is off?

So my question is other then removing the head to find top dead center. What is people's opinion on using a rod or all thread rod in cyl 1 to find top dead center.
    1988 323 GTX--- The toy now :D
    2008 Mazdaspeed 3::SOLD ----- 1991 BRG NA8 Swap, Turbo::SOLD

Straight piece of wire down the cylinder should work.
    Which marks do you think may be off??
    Sometimes damper pulleys fail/slip so the marks are no longer where theyre
    supposed to be.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by metalman View Post
      Straight piece of wire down the cylinder should work.
      Which marks do you think may be off??
      Sometimes damper pulleys fail/slip so the marks are no longer where theyre
      supposed to be.

I am thinking the marking on pulley maybe off from the crank. AKA TDC on the pulley may not be TDC. Guess I will look into that tomorrow.

Comment

If you need a 1.8 pulley, let me know. I went ahead and got a brand new one for mine (was replacing everything else, why not do everything? lol), but there was nothing wrong with the old one that I could see. You can have it of course. :)

Originally posted by miata5620
        Eric's Garage ... You buy all the parts I tell you to and you will have a killer car... If you want other parts used your car will suck and it will cost you more...

Comment

This is a non issue, unless of course your pulley is physically damaged or deteriorated.
          DIYAutoTune.com

| 10AE-T | BEGi S4 | GT2560r | Enthuza | 6UL | MS3Pro PNP|
          | 2001 Track Rat | Enthuza | Jenvey | MS3Pro PNP | Exocet in Progress|
          | 1992 323 | Wrong-wheel-drive Miata Endurance Racecar|

Comment

You cous always take apart the front cover and look for the mark on the crank.....if you're bored.

Comment

Originally posted by ben91 View Post
              This is a non issue, unless of course your pulley is physically damaged or deteriorated.
              So yea. I took the whole thing apart and physically checked for TDC. The stock pulley was off. I am not sure how that works, but yea the idle is smoother but still have only 10-12 vac.

Comment

Originally posted by wildfire0310 View Post
                So yea. I took the whole thing apart and physically checked for TDC. The stock pulley was off. I am not sure how that works, but yea the idle is smoother but still have only 10-12 vac.
                Pulleys can actually fail and spin so the inside no longer matches the outside so to speak. throwing the timing marks off.
                I have sold good used pulleys to people with that issue.
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X