timing belt snappin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• timing belt snappin

what happens with these cars if the belt snaps is the engine toast or what? someone was telling me that it was a "interference" engine or sum and it wont damage itself if the belt snaps. is this true or whut?
    MS2, VVT, 650cc, Spec S3, MMR, 6 speed, 4.30, AEM , ARP, ... one day ill get a real turbo

Our engines are "non-interference". That means that when the timing belt lets go, our cars just don't run. Nothing else happens.
    On an "interference" engine, if the timing system lets go, well, "Valves, meet pistons."

I should have given you the "Here, Let Me Google That For You" but I'm in a good mood. :D

Originally posted by miata5620
    Eric's Garage ... You buy all the parts I tell you to and you will have a killer car... If you want other parts used your car will suck and it will cost you more...

Comment

It's a "sum" type engine :lol:

If it breaks, you get stranded and will need to replace the belt. No engine damage will happen.

Comment

the miata motor is non-interference which means if the timing belt snaps there will be no damage to the head from the pistons.

So unless the t-belt breaks something else when it snaps your motor will be fine. You on the on the other hand will be broken down on the side of the road.
        1988 323 GTX--- The toy now :D
        2008 Mazdaspeed 3::SOLD ----- 1991 BRG NA8 Swap, Turbo::SOLD

Comment

Since we are all repeating..

It's a non-interference motor.

Comment

thanks fellas
            MS2, VVT, 650cc, Spec S3, MMR, 6 speed, 4.30, AEM , ARP, ... one day ill get a real turbo

Comment

You're welcome.

*waits for everyone else*

Eric's Garage ... You buy all the parts I tell you to and you will have a killer car... If you want other parts used your car will suck and it will cost you more...

Comment

Not a problem guy.

Comment

You're welcome! :D
                  2012 Acura TSX Sportwagon
                  2001 NB track car that never gets driven

Comment

Originally posted by sawyer View Post
                    you're welcome! :d
                    cheater you didn't help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Only us helpers get to feel good :(

Comment

ah man your motor is fubared, you should take this as a chance to rebuild.build it.

fig someone had to be different.

Comment

Miatas have no timing belt
                        2013 Whitout FR-S
                        1988 LS1 rx7 convertible
                        sigpic

Comment

miatas run on pure love. none of this timing belt nonsense.
                          DIE WHITE GIRLS

Comment

Your flux capacitor fried your warp drive. You'll need new dilithium crystals.

Comment

oh hey guys whats going on in this thread? it's a non interference motor, that means when the timing belt snaps, your flywheel will fly through your bellhousing and frame and cut your feet off.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X