Cold pisses my car off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cold pisses my car off

So my Miata's gotten some additional character recently. I blame the cold. First, on an intermittent basis, when I go to start the car it behaves as if I haven't pushed the clutch all the way to the floor. Cycling the key off, releasing the clutch pedal, and then going through the motions once more fixes things and it starts right up. How much of a ***** is it to replace a clutch position switch on these cars?

Second piece of character. When I first start driving in the mornings in the cold, the car makes a graunch/kerchak sound shifting into second. Shifting from first to neutral and then to second, there is no noise. I had Jim Ellis change the transmission fluid when I bought the car, don't know what that's worth. I'm about 30,000 miles later, so now it's time to do it again. What's the unobtanium super-fluid I need for my trans, and how much of a pain in the *** is it to do? Can I pretend that it's not synchros going bad?
    Friday nights 7-9 PM, go to www.ksuradio.com and listen to Owl Oldies. Visit our Facebook group for any requests and suggestions. Classic Kevin - 60s and 70s on OWL Radio

My transmission's cranky when cold as well. I think it's just the nature of the beast. And it's got fresh (<400 miles) fluid in it.
    ~Andrew
    Atlanta Region SCCA
    D Prepared Miata

Comment

Ain't that a kick in the gonads. I was really hoping it'd go mostly away with some new fluid.
      Friday nights 7-9 PM, go to www.ksuradio.com and listen to Owl Oldies. Visit our Facebook group for any requests and suggestions. Classic Kevin - 60s and 70s on OWL Radio

Comment

FWIW I use redline MTL in my transmission and it works great. It seems to be somewhat of a common occurance though for transmissions to act up in the cold, but replacing your fluid could help.

All I can tell you is that my transmission acts right in any temperature, which is surprising because I routinely kick the **** out of it :P

The first problem you wrote about, though, that sounds like your master or slave cylinder might be on their way out. Check them out before it becomes a 'non drivable' issue :)
        sigpic

Comment

Already replaced the slave about a year ago. That was a fun one, pedal going all the way down to the floor and still grinding when I shifted... It happened once and I had it replaced within ten hours. Master, huh?

Comment

Redline MTL is great for making your trans hard to shift when cold.
            I know several that will be dumping that stuff on the next change.
            I would stick with the regular lube. It works just fine.

In general Miata trannys are 'notchy' going into second, especially when cold.
            I dont find that too unusual. Some cars need some shifter turret attention to shift
            smoothly too.
            sigpic

Comment

i havent had any problems with the MTL, just a bit heavy when i just start out, probably switch to the mt-90 next time its due

and there are pages upon pages on mnet on just the trans fluid, no one fluid seems to work on all, so find what the car likes and stick to it

Comment

When I shift in to second it feels really soft.lol, Like im shifting against a pillow
                Kinda inherited the car from my Grandfather. Its a love hate relationship. lol

Comment

Originally posted by FlipKing View Post
                  When I shift in to second it feels really soft.lol, Like im shifting against a pillow
                  you're probably not chirping second enough.
                  sigpic

Comment

My tranny takes a substantial amount of time to warm up too, really annoying when merging into traffic.

Comment

haha, i have to have a perfect launch to chirp 2nd. it rarely happens

Comment

I try NOT to break traction when going into 2nd....or 3rd...or sometimes 4th... :lol:

Comment

Lol, sure if I was boosted I would have to try NOT to too. haha

Comment

My car seems to really like the cold intake air...It's like a puppy on a cold morning...

Sme issue with cold tranny though, a bit notchy until it gets up to temp

Comment

I haven't driven the Miata in a while so I couldn't tell you anything related to this thread. :)

Comment

Working...
                              X