Replacing the CAS O-ring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing the CAS O-ring

Is one of the most annoying and tedious little jobs there must be. 10 minute job my arse. Still trying to get the bastard lined up properly.

there was a thread about this on roadsterdrift. I believe the general consensus was just to jam it in there with a little force, perhaps apply some lube, but don't press too hard. Needless to say it was unclear whether they were talking about installing a CAS or sex after two posts.
    sigpic

Comment

It's not a matter of force as it is getting two metal "tangs" lined up with the holes and for some reason it never seems to work even when I try every angle.

Comment

sorry, I couldn't find the thread, but instead here's something that might actually help
        http://www.miata.net/garage/cas_oring.html
        sigpic

Comment

Cheers Nev, I used this guide earlier. I'm just one of the poor bastards who can't get it back in in the first 5 attempts.

Comment

try liquoring it up, buying it some diamonds, etc.

really though, if you're doing what the guide said and its not working, just wait till tommorrow. You'll probably look at it tommorrow morning and immediately see your problem, or get it in the first time.
            sigpic

Comment

Yeah that's what I decided on and then thought give it one more try... failed

Then I thought... ok for real now, last go....

And SLAM!

Straight in!

So let this be a lesson to anyone doing this, give yourself lots of time as it's only occasionally a 20 minute job :lol:

Comment

congrats! glad it finally worked.
                sigpic

Comment

You know what the secret to getting the CAS in easily is?

Remove the valve cover.

I kid you not.
                  ~Andrew
                  Atlanta Region SCCA
                  D Prepared Miata

Comment

Yeah I can imagine.

Comment

I used a small dental mirror to see where the slot was on the cam. Then it is a 10 minute job. Otherwise you'll spend an hour, as my son found out. Actually he never got it, brought me out, got out the mirror, lined it up and slid it in.

Comment

Yeah, I was going to suggest the valve cover method too. I always try to do them at the same time since it makes lining up the tangs a one time deal.

Originally posted by miata5620
                        Eric's Garage ... You buy all the parts I tell you to and you will have a killer car... If you want other parts used your car will suck and it will cost you more...

Comment

I tried the little mirror method and I could never get it in. I mustn't have been using enough forced when I was putting it back in because I must have got it lined up at least once correctly.

Comment

Working...
                          X