Wiring fog/driving light questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring fog/driving light questions

I got some Hella Optilux 1500 driving lights for Christmas which I will from here on out be referring to as fog lights because that's what I always call lights in that position. :p

But yes, reading the instructions I don't think they take into consideration the fact that the battery is in the trunk. So I did some searching on m.net and as usual found way too many threads, but what I took away from it is that there is some sort of factory harness system going on as it is. But it only works when the driving lights are up, which is perfectly fine by me.

Any advice/tips/info is welcome before I go at it tomorrow. Also, what do people tend to mount them on? Just drill holes in the bumper?

why not just buy a roll or 2 of 16g wire and diy?
    DIE WHITE GIRLS

Comment

I've got some wire but figure if there's a factory set up in there already why not take use of it? Something designed by Japanese boffins rather than a beer swilling English student with a devil may care attitude but a heart of gold.

Comment

Best source for power is the underhood fuse box. Unbolt it, turn it upside down, and tap into into an appropriate lead of your choice. If you don't have ABS, there's even an empty position that you can insert your own fusible link into.

There's not a whole lot to wiring in fog lamps.
        DIYAutoTune.com

| 10AE-T | BEGi S4 | GT2560r | Enthuza | 6UL | MS3Pro PNP|
        | 2001 Track Rat | Enthuza | Jenvey | MS3Pro PNP | Exocet in Progress|
        | 1992 323 | Wrong-wheel-drive Miata Endurance Racecar|

Comment

Yeah even I should be ok with doing them. My brain tends to malfunction when it comes to anything with wires/relays.

Comment

if you wire them into the battery you have the option of using a switch, so you can drive with just them on along with the driving lights and look hella cool. lol

i didnt mean to say hella because the lights are hella, but it worked out nicely. haha
            DIE WHITE GIRLS

Comment

absolutely no need to go to the battery. plenty of power at the fuse box. you could hit the alternator lug too if desired. but the fuse box is cleanest.

if I were adding lamps to an NA, I'd probably grab an extra oem relay and hang it on the relay center (under the plastic cover on the driver's fender near firewall) and make it look totally OEM. but that's because I'm gay like that.
              DIYAutoTune.com

| 10AE-T | BEGi S4 | GT2560r | Enthuza | 6UL | MS3Pro PNP|
              | 2001 Track Rat | Enthuza | Jenvey | MS3Pro PNP | Exocet in Progress|
              | 1992 323 | Wrong-wheel-drive Miata Endurance Racecar|

Comment

Well it's soaking wet outside, which will put a little delay on the process. I'm gonna get under the hood and have a look though because I'm not entirely sure what you're talking about Ben.

It would be cool to use a stock switch in the blank space next to the steering wheel but I think I might just wire it up to the driving lights so they always come on with them. Simply because the less I do the better I feel about electronics.

Comment

i have some experience with small wiring jobs like this... i think that just comes with the territory of owning an old bmw. want any help?
                  DIE WHITE GIRLS

Comment

Yeah I have lots of wiring experiences with all the swaps and crap I use to do. If you need help lmk.

Comment

Thanks for the offers. If I don't get this done before I leave Atlanta I'll hit you boys up.

Comment

dooooooooooooit. i still havent met your limey *** :lol:
                        DIE WHITE GIRLS

Comment

Procrastinating for the night. Where could I pick up a nice little fuse for the ABS part? It's not a Mazda only part that I'll have to sacrifice a small goat for is it?

Comment

kurt most likely has one. and you might have to sacrifice a child, as he's on that side of the fence ;)
                            "keep drifting fun......or else..." --Andy Sapp

Comment

Working...
                            X