Kumho Ecsta XS tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kumho Ecsta XS tires

So the Roadster's gonna need new tires in a few months, and I've started poking around and looking at what's out there. Currently I'm running stock 15" X 6" wheels with 195/50-15 Bridgestone RE-01Rs. The tires have worn well (after I brought the toe down a bit) and have performed admirably, but of course I can't be satisfied with more of the same. I like my sticky tires, but it also needs to handle the occasional torrential downpour we get, so although I was drooling over running a set of Nitto NT01s, I looked at some more conventional street tires.

From what I can tell, the new Kumho Ecsta XS might be worth a try. It's available in a 205/50-15 instead of the 195/50-15 of the 'stones, but everyone knows the 'stones run wide, so I'm not expecting any huge increase in traction area. They have the same treadwear rating of 180. According to Tirerack the 'stones have a section width of 7.9", while the XSs run 8.4", but unfortunately Tirerack doesn't have a tread width for the XS to compare. Still, if it's a wider section that should mean a slightly wider tread width, right?

Anyway, the thing that gets my notice is that the XS runs two pounds lighter a tire than the Bridgestones. That'd take me from 34.1 lbs. a corner to 32.1 lbs., which satisfies my "less weight" mantra without having to buy new wheels. Plus they're cheaper, $97 a tire instead of $118.

Since these were designed to be Falken-killers according to the Kumho people, I have high hopes that they'll be as good as the RE-01Rs.
    Friday nights 7-9 PM, go to www.ksuradio.com and listen to Owl Oldies. Visit our Facebook group for any requests and suggestions. Classic Kevin - 60s and 70s on OWL Radio

Tires don't make a difference

Comment

Please tell me you aren't being serious there Simon...

Originally posted by miata5620
      Eric's Garage ... You buy all the parts I tell you to and you will have a killer car... If you want other parts used your car will suck and it will cost you more...

Comment

Working...
      X