No announcement yet.

1.8 swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well if it is the Voodoo box, you have to open it to tune it anyway. I honestly don't know what box that is. The only piggies I've seen are the Voodoo and the JR Powercard/Timing Card. See if it says anything anywhere that might hint at what it is, that'll be good to know to help tune it. You shouldn't need to do much as it's already matched to the engine, but you never know. If you open it, just be careful with it.

Originally posted by miata5620
    Eric's Garage ... You buy all the parts I tell you to and you will have a killer car... If you want other parts used your car will suck and it will cost you more...

Comment

okay well maybe ill be able to pop it open with out messing anything up, if not, i wont worry about it casue if it is the piggy back then. its tuneable and ill let the shop that its tuned at mess with it.
      "keep drifting fun......or else..." --Andy Sapp

Comment

Originally posted by deerock View Post
        okay well that doesnt seem hard to do, then. i can plug stuff back in. i think the car is already running a standalone ecu, itd have to be running one to be running correctly right?

and why do you have to run the 1.6 thermostat housing?

and yeah i saw you sad you guys had that. i may contact you guys about it, once i figure out what all i need from it, it may be more affordable for me to make some of the parts it has, and then just buy the motor mounts and the coil plate, depending on how the TB issue is resolved. maybe ill have to have a install day and get a couple of you guys over to help me wire it in.
        Well with the supercharger you still have to use the 1.6TB or a standalone as the stock 1.6 ECU can't understand the 1.8TPS. But due to clearances you may not have enough room to use the adapter plate. Never really worked with supercharges do I don't know the clearances.

Originally posted by RotorNutFD3S View Post

The 1.6 thermostat housing has the provision for your temp sensor, that's really the only thing that's different about it. Just pop off the plastic front cover, swapping it out is two bolts and an o-ring replacement. Otherwise, if you want to use the 1.8 thermostat housing, you'll have to get your temp reading to the ECU from somewhere. I suppose that could be done at the back of the head like the 1.8s have stock, but you'll have to extend the wiring for that. Only 2 wires though IIRC.
        To correct you, the stock 1.6 waterneck is need for the fan sensor. The 1.6 Temp sensor is on the back of the head, just like the 1.8s but the little sensor on the water neck is used by the ecu to flip the fans on. Stupid I know.

Derek: You either need to use the stock 1.6 water neck , you have to mount the sensor somewhere else, or just ground it out on your chassis and have the fans always on when the car is on.

okay so just went and checked the engine bay for a FPR that looked like that and i couldnt see anything that matched that. i also took a few pictures of the ecu (excuse the iphone pics) they seem to be the same as your description. except for a little black box in the second picture. no i dont think he does, he bought the car this way.
        Well as Eric said that is a piggy back, and it may or may not be usable with the 1.6 ecu. Also any standalone you go with will have to match the wiring in the car. So even though you will have a 1.8 motor, you need a standalone for a 1.6 car, since the wiring harness are massively different.

BTW, is this car/motor local to Dacula area, cause if you want man I can come look at it and try to help answer some of your question and even show you a 1.8 swap.
        1988 323 GTX--- The toy now :D
        2008 Mazdaspeed 3::SOLD ----- 1991 BRG NA8 Swap, Turbo::SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by wildfire0310 View Post
          To correct you, the stock 1.6 waterneck is need for the fan sensor. The 1.6 Temp sensor is on the back of the head, just like the 1.8s but the little sensor on the water neck is used by the ecu to flip the fans on. Stupid I know.
          Gotcha. Never worked on a 1.6 until now and quite frankly a lot of what it has is stupid, which is why it's all getting ripped out. lol

Well as Eric said that is a piggy back, and it may or may not be usable with the 1.6 ecu. Also any standalone you go with will have to match the wiring in the car. So even though you will have a 1.8 motor, you need a standalone for a 1.6 car, since the wiring harness are massively different.
          Also good points.

Originally posted by miata5620
          Eric's Garage ... You buy all the parts I tell you to and you will have a killer car... If you want other parts used your car will suck and it will cost you more...

Comment

Originally posted by RotorNutFD3S View Post
            Gotcha. Never worked on a 1.6 until now and quite frankly a lot of what it has is stupid, which is why it's all getting ripped out. lol
            Yea there are some really stupid electrical sh*t on a 1.6. The number of times that little sensor has come ungrounded on my car and fan kicked off, it f**king annoying. Once my standalone is in, i plan to have it flip the fans on, as all that senor does it ground out, to flip the relay on.

Comment

okay, so if i dont use the 1.6 waterneck, i can just find the wire and ground it out? cause idc if the fan runs all the time.
              and yes the car is in my back yard along with motor too.
              and if the TB plate wont fit, is there anything else i can do? cause im willing to just re wire the whole car as long as the thing runs right.

Comment

okay, so if i dont use the 1.6 waterneck, i can just find the wire and ground it out? cause idc if the fan runs all the time.
                and yes the car is in my back yard along with motor too.
                and if the TB plate wont fit, is there anything else i can do? cause im willing to just re wire the whole car as long as the thing runs right.
                A) Yes grounding the fan sensor will keep the fans on as long as the car is ON.
                B) Well send my PM if you want me come by and help/look over
                C) If the TB won't fit due to clearance then you have to run the 1.8 TB and use a standalone ECU, or in theory you could re-pin the ecu connector to a 94-95 and using the 1.8TB and coil pack, but doing all the electrical is opening yourself up to a ton of electrical issues/problems.

Comment

thats true. i wouldnt want to rewire the entire car, and leave myself stranded because i messed it up somewhere. and i guess i will just ground the wire for the fans. and yeah ill definitely shoot you a pm when im not busy and have you come take a look around the car, and show me yours.

Comment

buy a MS pansy haha, or sell me the setup and throw in a 1.6 :)

Comment

The oddities I speak of are that the 1.6 Tb doesn't bolt up to the 1.8 manifold and the 1.8TB/TPS sensor won't work with a 1.6 ECU. So you either have to use a spacer(what i have, and I hate it) or go with a standalone so you an use the 1.8TB/TPS(the better option).
                      Listen to this. Buy a stand alone, and thank yourself later. Especially if it's going to be boosted.
                      Originally posted by Beastinthebushes
                      Do lots and lots of reading and research. Lots of vendors sell suspension, not just FM.

Comment

Working...
                      X