No announcement yet.

Supercharger Whine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I remember having to tighten the allen head bolts on the top of the intake plenum thing, maybe you've got a little leak and it's not air tight? I dunno, just throwing ideas out there now.

Comment

I don't think I have a leak, my boost is pretty solid and I just went out and the bolts seemed quite tight.

I never heard the unit when it was on Dave's car so I don't know if it was louder then but I'm getting the impression that some units are just louder than others. It's not a big deal I was just wondering if there was a way to make them louder ;)
      sigpic

Comment

They will whine more as the boost increases because the RPM's increase. If you've got a system like I setup with out moving the TB then you'll hear plenty of whine. Just ask Lee or Frohock. lol

Comment

Supercharger Whine

Well I thought about moving my tb back to stock position and adding a blowoff valve but I don't want to pay for re-drillig and tapping for my iat and WI nozzle. I have ridden in Lees car and it's a beast!

But, I just changed out the air filter and reworked some of my intercooler piping and was rewarded with a whole pound of boost!! I'm noe consistantly staying at 7lbs even in this weather. It didn't increase whine but I'd rather have the extra pound.

I also noticed that my boost doesn't start dropping till 6500 rpm which seems better than before.

But I do have one question: at full boost I'm occasionally hearing an audible ticking sound. I think it's the plunger thing that operates the bypass valve. When it happens the boost gauge vibrates a little.

It only happens under full throttle and only occasionally but do you guys think it's time for a new plunger thing?
          sigpic

Comment

It doesn't sound like metal bb's shot into a tin can does it? Because that's pinging and normally means you need to pull the timing back a little.

Comment

Supercharger Whine

No, it's not detonation, it's more of a click and I pulled my plugs yesterday and there's no sign on det.

Plus I haven't done any tuning to the spark table and the base map from DIY is stupid conservative.
              sigpic

Comment

If its a single tick then its probably the bypass valve. You can also check the piece the bypass valve attaches too on the supercharger valve itself. I've had to replace a few on customers cars since the rod on the bypass valve is chromed and the steel rotator piece it attaches to is just regular steel it will wear it away and cause some slop. Its available from JR and is easy to swap. When I did the setup on my old car/Lee's car I never thought it would have all the affects it did but after that I had lots of other people wanting me to do it for them as well.

Comment

Supercharger Whine

It usually ticks 4 or 5 times when it happens. I remember mike telling me about a piece you could get that prevents it from wearing down but I don't remember the name.

I was once told that you had to open up the blower to replace that bit.
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X