No announcement yet.

Installing 01 header in a CEEM (california emissions equipped model) '99 miata

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing 01 header in a CEEM (california emissions equipped model) '99 miata

Okay so I just did some research.....

-my car is apparently a CALI (CARB) spec car, and it has two catalytic converters, one primary one directly after the header, before the downpipe (crossover pipe/whatever its called), and one in the midpipe.
    -this means that there are two sensors. one sensor is located right where the header collects (think its an air/fuel ratio sensor), the other sensor (oxygen sensor) is located in the crossover pipe after the primary cat .
    -if you are going from the cast iron to tubular type of manifold (which I am doing) you will need the different EGR connection. The connection to the motor is the same but on the header side, it changes from a male on the cast iron (99) to female connection on the tube type (01).

So here is what I think I have to do... correct me if I'm wrong.

-Get a new EGR connection with the proper connection to an 01 header.

-Get an extension kit to relocate the oxygen sensor from the 99's crossover pipe, to a new position in the exhaust system directly behind the remaining catalytic converter. (New midpipe from Flyin Miata comes with bung after catalytic converter, so no need to create a new bung)

- Then move the first sensor (air/fuel) from where the 99 header collects, to the location in the crossover pipe from the 01 where the oxygen sensor used to be in the 99.

-From the brainstorming/ research I've done on this, this will work effectively by:

1.) keeping the air/fuel sensor in the exhaust system before the catalytic converter, like the old setup with the primary cat which had the air/fuel sensor located before the primary cat in the exhaust system.

2.) keeping the oxygen sensor after the catalytic converter in the exhaust system, like the old setup which had the oxygen sensor located after the primary cat.

sorry for writing so much, I appreciate any advice or input that anyone may have.
    Blue '99 with '01 header swap, Tein Street Advance, FM Exhaust, RPF1s

Looks like I'll be needing this.....

http://www.good-win-racing.com/Mazda...t/11-1039.html

Comment

Just ordered the wires from Goodwin, now just in need of the 01 EGR tube and O2 sensor(s)

Comment

Working...
      X