LS7 Coils

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LS7 Coils

Anyone have any hands-on experience with these? I'm going to be running better ignition, and it's pretty much the same amount of work to do the LS coils in place of the Toyota COPs.
    DIYAutoTune.com

| 10AE-T | BEGi S4 | GT2560r | Enthuza | 6UL | MS3Pro PNP|
    | 2001 Track Rat | Enthuza | Jenvey | MS3Pro PNP | Exocet in Progress|
    | 1992 323 | Wrong-wheel-drive Miata Endurance Racecar|

i always thought the point of the Toyota COPs was for the cost effectiveness.

Comment

Any reason to run coil on plug ignition on an otherwise stock '01?
      Friday nights 7-9 PM, go to www.ksuradio.com and listen to Owl Oldies. Visit our Facebook group for any requests and suggestions. Classic Kevin - 60s and 70s on OWL Radio

Comment

Originally posted by redrumracer View Post
        i always thought the point of the Toyota COPs was for the cost effectiveness.
        It is. The LS coils are probably better and more powerful.

Originally posted by thx712517 View Post
        Any reason to run coil on plug ignition on an otherwise stock '01?
        Not really. You can since they're more efficient, but they're definitely an improvement for forced induction. More powerful spark and you can run a larger gap without spark blowout.

Originally posted by miata5620
        Eric's Garage ... You buy all the parts I tell you to and you will have a killer car... If you want other parts used your car will suck and it will cost you more...

Comment

Originally posted by RotorNutFD3S View Post
          It is. The LS coils are probably better and more powerful.
          but is the cost effectiveness there after the price of the ls7 coils? those are expensive. i could understand if he is running crazy boost or extremely high comp ratio but if not then whats the purpose? not trying to diss the op, just trying to fig out your reasoning.

Comment

He's already done the Toyota COPs on his NA. Now his NB has a really nice BEGi S4 turbo kit. I'll let him post his own reasoning.

Originally posted by miata5620
            Eric's Garage ... You buy all the parts I tell you to and you will have a killer car... If you want other parts used your car will suck and it will cost you more...

Comment

The newer LSx coils are better than the Toyo COPs and they can be had inexpensively.

I was like the 2nd person to do the Toyo COPs on my NA. The first to do it to a 1.6 I think. And definately the first to use the stock ignitor as a PNP plug. I could go ahead and break the connectors off a stock coil pack and use them for a PNP plug and run another set of Toyo COPs on the new car. It's easier to do than on the old car since I don't have to worry about the tach driver. But I'd rather get ahead of the curve again.
              DIYAutoTune.com

Comment

If I remember correctly, the SCCA Solo rulebook allows an unlimited ignition setup on stock cars. If there's any kind of gain to be had, it could be worth looking into for me.
                Friday nights 7-9 PM, go to www.ksuradio.com and listen to Owl Oldies. Visit our Facebook group for any requests and suggestions. Classic Kevin - 60s and 70s on OWL Radio

Comment

The 01+ ignition system isn't bad really; it's the best of what came with the miata. I'm not sure what you'd notice up top with better coils since the gains might only be 2whp, but what you should see is improved response and better economy.

It's a lot different with forced induction because it actually stresses the stock coils, and the 99-00 coils are the worst of them.
                  DIYAutoTune.com

Comment

FM has apparently done this twice now. My favorite is the top picture because (1) restrictions due to VICS intake manifold and (2) it re-uses the original plug wires. The FM mounting bracket is extremely clever. Looks like a couple of small brackets, 2 pieces of allthread and a bunch of nuts.

And some guy in Norway has done it too. Check out his intake manifold
                    DIYAutoTune.com

Comment

That engine is in my screen saver file. If I remember correctly it's a stroker kit, the FMII turbo, and all the other tricks. Something like fifteen grand in that motor, if not more.

Comment

that's my future engine... i just put it on my credit card....

Comment

Originally posted by thx712517 View Post
                          If I remember correctly, the SCCA Solo rulebook allows an unlimited ignition setup on stock cars. If there's any kind of gain to be had, it could be worth looking into for me.
                          It's not quite "unlimited"

13.9 ELECTRICAL SYSTEM
                          A. The make of spark plugs, points, ignition coil and high tension
                          wires is unrestricted including spark plug wires having an in-line
                          capacitor.
                          B. On cars made prior to January 1, 1968, any ignition system
                          using a standard distributor without modification may be used.
                          C. Ignition settings may not be adjusted outside factory specifications.
                          D. No changes are permitted to electronic engine management systems
                          or their programming.
                          Note that it says the make of coil can be changed, but it makes no allowance for changing connectors, wiring, or location.
                          ~Andrew
                          Atlanta Region SCCA
                          D Prepared Miata

Comment

Originally posted by Doppelgänger View Post
                            that's my future engine... i just put it on my credit card....
                            uhm, what fool thing are you talkin about?
                            DIYAutoTune.com

Comment

PS I am so doing this, pretty much like the top picture I posted in #10.
                              DIYAutoTune.com

Comment

Working...
                              X