Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More power... through more broken parts....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More power... through more broken parts....

So I was up at a friends shop lastnight to poke around at the exhaust so we can gauge what needs to be done to make a 3" exhaust. Well, while we were under there, I wanted to fix a small rattle that was under there somewhere. Just by chance, to grabbed the exhaust and shook it.. and hear a rattle, but it wasn't what I had been hearing. Instead, it was the sound of something look IN the exhaust... more specifically, the cat. Yup, turns out the car was broken up. I have no idea how long it had been clogged, but i'd guess for quite sometime and was probably the reason my car didn't seem to have the top end I had rememberd when I was out on Road Atlanta. I dropped the mid pipe and finished punching out the cat. Surprisingly, the car is still VERY quiet even with no cat....which further leads me to belive it had been clogged for quite sometime.

I'll be on the phone with FM in a little while to discuss the 5yr/50,000mi warranty of their converter.

On a side note, spool is improved quite a lot.... but because I don't know when it happened, I simply didn't really notice less spool... and it shoots some fire now :)
    Last edited by Doppelgänger; 11-25-2008, 07:06 AM.

Now I wonder why your manifold cracked...

Originally posted by miata5620
    Eric's Garage ... You buy all the parts I tell you to and you will have a killer car... If you want other parts used your car will suck and it will cost you more...

Comment

Really? I wouldn't link one with the other in all honesty. Is it really possible that I simply got it REALLY hot.....actually too hot?

Do I sense a new title coming on? :lol:

Comment

I was say so. All that excessive heat had no where to go therefore the manifold was getting hotter then normal.

Comment

Dude, you exploded your manifold.

Eric's Garage ... You buy all the parts I tell you to and you will have a killer car... If you want other parts used your car will suck and it will cost you more...

Comment

I agree. The heat suppressed in the clogged cat could potentially back up and over heat the manifold. Or it could have just been a bad casting on the manifold. You may never know for sure.
            2020 Jet Black Mica GT RF

Comment

Well, at about 11, i'll be calling FM...to ask about the cat and to see if they've shipped my mani yet.

Comment

Yeah, I'd be like, well your guaranteed catalytic is in chunks on my garage floor and it broke my manifold. I'd like a refund on the new manifold please.

Comment

+1
                  The worst they can say is no.
                  2020 Jet Black Mica GT RF

Comment

Well, spoke to FM. They'll be setting up a RMA on the converter to Thermal so it IS covered under warranty...i'll be responsible for the shipping though (no biggie). I did tell them that I had to gut the rest of it out and they said no problem.

In speaking with Brandon, he said it is possible that the cat failure could have caused a heat issue in the manifold...so i'm glad they didn't just brush that theory off. So when I call back after I get off work, i'll request to speak with Bill about that. My manifold should be shipping out today also. Oh, Brandon is VERY interested to see pictures of the manifold once I get it off...i would just send it to them, but someone wants to buy it from me. (wtf?)

Comment

Because it is repairable. But you're like me and won't run a part in that condition on your car.

Comment

This has really developed into something quite interesting.

Comment

indeed
                          '95 w/ now finished '99 swap, kyb agx's, flyin miata springs, sway bars, roll bar and more to come...sigpic

Comment

You guys have no clue as to the 'interesting' things that break on my car....and it's not things that *I* could have broken.

Comment

Sure... Because they just up and break by themselves... :lol:

Comment

Working...
                              X